The Thistle Archive

The Thistle Archive

Apart from today and last weekend, when if at all have the surnames of the Thistle goalkeeper and the entire back line all begun with the same letter (Mitchell, McMillan, Muirhead, McBeth, Milne)?

What’s the highest number of Thistle players with the same first letter of surname to have been on the park at the same time?

And what was the narrowest alphabetical spread of any Thistle starting XI (eg today’s was F(itzpatrick) to R(obinson) but had an astonishing 8 players across consecutive letters LMN)?

• Like 1

Another trivial contribution: I remember checking years ago (why? probably bored) and finding that the most common surname of all the players who have ever played for thistle is:...............................................................................

Gibson.

Thank you.

37 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Another trivial contribution: I remember checking years ago (why? probably bored) and finding that the most common surname of all the players who have ever played for thistle is:...............................................................................

Gibson.

Thank you.

My money would be on "Smith"

On 3/23/2024 at 8:49 PM, Woodstock Jag said:

Apart from today and last weekend, when if at all have the surnames of the Thistle goalkeeper and the entire back line all begun with the same letter (Mitchell, McMillan, Muirhead, McBeth, Milne)?

What’s the highest number of Thistle players with the same first letter of surname to have been on the park at the same time?

And what was the narrowest alphabetical spread of any Thistle starting XI (eg today’s was F(itzpatrick) to R(obinson) but had an astonishing 8 players across consecutive letters LMN)?

The 5 M's is a strange co-incidence. In all of history, based on a 1-5 query, it was only seen for the first time on 4 March 2023, the 3-0 home win vs. Raith Rovers:
David Mitchell, Jack McMillan, Harry Milne, Connor McAvoy, Aaron Muirhead

Most common surname letter in a starting eleven is 7 (M's again), seen only in 1988, 3 times in close proximity, firstly in the 1-1 midweek Scottish Cup draw at Station Park on 3 February 1988:

Archie MacLean, Alan Dinnie, John Workman, Bryan Purdie, Budgie McGhie, John McCormack, Pat Kelly, Willie McGuire, John McNaught, John Mitchell, Ian McDonald

Re the close proximity thing, will skip that on the grounds of time constraints, if you don't mind.

On 3/23/2024 at 10:37 PM, Jaggernaut said:

Gibson.

Thank you.

Most common surname in the first-team A-Z:

25 - Smith
24 - Robertson
22 - Wilson
19 - Brown
19 - Campbell
17 - Stewart
16 - Murray
14 - Ferguson
14 - Gray
13 - Gibson
13 - McDonald
13 - Thomson

On 3/24/2024 at 7:54 AM, allyo said:

The length of our continuous run in third place must be pretty unique. I can see it happening when top or bottom, but to hold a mid-table place for that amount of time seems very unusual.

Actually, we recently passed a club-record in that regard. 24 games in 3rd place is the longest run in the same position when considering mid-table positions only. The previous joint-record (20) was set in 6th place (1915) and 9th place (2015).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two things strike me about the hat-trick list - and it's been said before about them.

The Roxburgh one is almost forgotten because of Dan McLindon's solo effort and the Jimmy Bone one against East Fife is probably overshadowed by Denis's 45 yard screamer.

Seems a shame for Roxburgh and Bone as regards quantity being eclipsed by quality. 

19 hours ago, fifexile said:

Doolan's was the last hat trick. Scored on  21 Jan 2015

Full list here

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/every-known-hat-trick

I guess the reason for relatively fewer hat tricks these days could be down to increased substitutions. I'm sure I've seen a good few lads subbed when on two goals.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I guess the reason for relatively fewer hat tricks these days could be down to increased substitutions. I'm sure I've seen a good few lads subbed when on two goals.

Hmm.

How do you explain Tomi Adeloye scoring two tap ins after coming on against Arbroath and missing two very scoreable snips in the same cameo?

• Haha 1

Cheers guys, and thanks very much for using the site, makes it worthwhile. The hat-tricks page has had a bit of a tidy-up, it was one of the oldest pages and was a bit lacking in design nous, not that it's so much better these days, but you have a go, you know?
Every known hat-trick →

This brand new page is just for you PTD, you'll remember the Grand Slams, The Triple Crowns, The Doublets, The Hogans and the Meatloafs, now nailed down for posterity!

League slams →

slam.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Cheers guys, and thanks very much for using the site, makes it worthwhile. The hat-tricks page has had a bit of a tidy-up, it was one of the oldest pages and was a bit lacking in design nous, not that it's so much better these days, but you have a go, you know?
Every known hat-trick →

This brand new page is just for you PTD, you'll remember the Grand Slams, The Triple Crowns, The Doublets, The Hogans and the Meatloafs, now nailed down for posterity!

League slams →

slam.png

That is absolutely fantastic. Great work and brilliant memories. I especially like it when a non-standard goal scorer made a special habit of banging them in against a particular team. Step forward Scott Chaplain for his Hogan against Clyde in 2007-2008!

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 9:40 PM, partickthedog said:

That is absolutely fantastic. Great work and brilliant memories. I especially like it when a non-standard goal scorer made a special habit of banging them in against a particular team. Step forward Scott Chaplain for his Hogan against Clyde in 2007-2008!

And Ross Docherty's Hogan v Dunfermline in 2021-22 very much in that category. Plus a cup goal too, but let's not open up that sort of chaotic query!