The Thistle Archive

The Thistle Archive

11 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

There is a statue (which I am sure you know) of ‘Buffalo Bill’ William Cody on his bucking (bronco) horse in Dennistoun, because Cody brought his Wild West Show to Dennistoun, Glasgow. (October 1891) Thistle would have been 25 years old.

Yep, and my great-grandmother went to one of the shows (BB came to Glasgow a couple of times). On one of the tours one of the "native Americans" found his way into a Glaswegian hostelry where he "accidentally" got served whisky instead of a soft drink. Ended up in Barlinnie for drunk and disorderly behaviour including hitting somebody with a club.

Not much has changed, I guess.

8 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Well, I know on a later visit the tour ended up at Ibrox so…..

That's right. Not so much the tour itself, but Mr Cody himself went there on a publicity visit.

He knew and had hee-haw interest in football, but a big crowd, mostly simpletons, so, a good marketing opportunity for his show. 

Historian Joe Kelly has been making great contributions for the best part of a year now, finding all-sorts of genealogy snips and first-time player images and we're delighted that he's now officially the latest signing to the Thistle Archive team. Joe has a soft spot for the Bankies, but he's an honorary Jag now, such is his passion for the cause:

the thrill of the chase and some of your boys stories are just amazing. I never tire of looking and uncovering and there is so much to dig up, just wonderful.

Joe's latest gift to Thistle history was to discover yet another new game for our records, a holiday Thursday game found lurking in the obscurity of the Edinburgh Daily Review, remarkable in a number of ways.

• Our first-ever game with St Bernard's, more than 3 years earlier than first thought.
  • Our first-ever game in Edinburgh, several months earlier than first thought.
  • Our first visit to "the Gymmie" before there was even a ground there.
  • The first known instance of brothers - Edward & Jerry Suter - turning out in the same game for Thistle.

Thu-06-Apr-1882 St Bernard's 5 Partick Thistle 2 →

• Like 1

In what's probably one of the most exciting breakthroughs of all at the Thistle Archive, today we're pleased to identify HUGH McCOLL, a strong contender to be one of Partick Thistle's founder members. At a general meeting on the 3rd September 1877, the first ever committee of the club was elected, and Hugh, just turned 19, took his place as the secretary. In the player's chronology, only John Inglis comes before Hugh in Thistle's story.

Hugh McColl →

partick-thistle-fc-jacqueline-r-flores-canvas-print.jpg

A youthful enthusiasm drove the burgeoning game forwards in the 1870s, and we'd expect that our founders - were we able to find them - would all turn to be very young, with most, if not all, being teenagers. This would be in line with other clubs of the day, with the four Rangers founders being a good example; Moses McNeil (16), Peter McNeil (17), Peter Campbell (15) & William McBeath (15). As well as the aforementioned Hugh McColl, we're thrilled to reveal the identity of a second member of the first-ever Partick Thistle committee, also a player. It transpires that GEORGE LECKIE was the treasurer at the age of just 17. 'mon the young team!

George Leckie →

And, as if all this excitement wasn't enough, George had a brother who also played and served on the committee. George and ANDY LECKIE only missed out on being first playing brothers by two days to Jerry & Edward Suter although who knows, new discoveries might turn the current intelligence.

Andy Leckie →

5 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

In what's probably one of the most exciting breakthroughs of all at the Thistle Archive, today we're pleased to identify HUGH McCOLL, a strong contender to be one of Partick Thistle's founder members. At a general meeting on the 3rd September 1877, the first ever committee of the club was elected, and Hugh, just turned 19, took his place as the secretary. In the player's chronology, only John Inglis comes before Hugh in Thistle's story.

Hugh McColl →

partick-thistle-fc-jacqueline-r-flores-canvas-print.jpg

Brilliant stuff, again!

3 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

A youthful enthusiasm drove the burgeoning game forwards in the 1870s, and we'd expect that our founders - were we able to find them - would all turn to be very young, with most, if not all, being teenagers. This would be in line with other clubs of the day, with the four Rangers founders being a good example; Moses McNeil (16), Peter McNeil (17), Peter Campbell (15) & William McBeath (15). As well as the aforementioned Hugh McColl, we're thrilled to reveal the identity of a second member of the first-ever Partick Thistle committee, also a player. It transpires that GEORGE LECKIE was the treasurer at the age of just 17. 'mon the young team!

George Leckie →

And, as if all this excitement wasn't enough, George had a brother who also played and served on the committee. George and ANDY LECKIE only missed out on being first playing brothers by two days to Jerry & Edward Suter although who knows, new discoveries might turn the current intelligence.

Andy Leckie →

Wow, Andy died at just 35 years of age......

From 'The Story Of The Rangers (William Allan, 1923)' comes our first-time look at Bob Marshall. Over 100 appearances for the Jags and the last of our internationalists to be found. How pleased are we on a scale of 1-10?  11!

Bob might well be the only man in history whose new club (in 1885) moved to him!

Bob Marshall →

bob-marshall-2.jpg

Edited by The Thistle Archive

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

So, his daughter Elsie was born exactly 75 years to the day before the Jags won the League Cup in 1971!

Well, just when we thought we couldn't be any more amazed!

We're all caught up with the facts & figures for the season so far. Jack McMillan the man-of-the-moment, already the last-man standing on 100% game time and top of the assists chart...

Season 2022-23 →

He had a tough gig when Sandy Brown departed for Everton in September 1963, but the teenage Hugh Tinney soon won over the Jags fans with his marauding fearlessness from the left back position. On this day 1968 (by sheer co-incidence actually) Hugh actually played against Thistle for his new team, Bury, in an exciting 3-3 draw at Gigg Lane.

And today, for the first-time ever, we've introduced an 'Audio' tab to the player's profile concept, with Hugh Tinney being the first. It's a nice and easy template to apply, so if anyone has any more please let us know and we'll apply them to any given profile.

If you get the chance, Hugh's great hour-long life-story interview is well worth a listen...

Hugh Tinney →

tinney.png

1 hour ago, The Thistle Archive said:

He had a tough gig when Sandy Brown departed for Everton in September 1963, but the teenage Hugh Tinney soon won over the Jags fans with his marauding fearlessness from the left back position. On this day 1968 (by sheer co-incidence actually) Hugh actually played against Thistle for his new team, Bury, in an exciting 3-3 draw at Gigg Lane.

And today, for the first-time ever, we've introduced an 'Audio' tab to the player's profile concept, with Hugh Tinney being the first. It's a nice and easy template to apply, so if anyone has any more please let us know and we'll apply them to any given profile.

If you get the chance, Hugh's great hour-long life-story interview is well worth a listen...

Hugh Tinney →

tinney.png

For some reason I had it in my head that Tinney's transfer to Bury set off a series of pre-season friendlies against them. But (not for the first time) I'm wrong. Looks like the 3-3 game was the only one. Looking forward to listening to the interview.

3 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

As I said on the the ‘Memories’ stream, Dan McLindon was one of my favourite players in the later 1960s. ‘Big Dan’ was an entertainer who could do things with the ball which were out ‘of the ordinary’, scoring unusual goals or dribbling, passing in a creative way. He could certainly surprise and even be unorthodox at times. He also wore a some different numbers in the team eg 7,8,3 etc. 

I watched a ‘YouTube’ programme last year, where he appeared with another ex-Pars player, (great) Harry Melrose. In this the two of them were talking about the days when Dunfermline were a force and they shared memories of their time together, their relationship with the fans, winning the Scottish Cup, playing in Europe and memories of Jock Stein, who managed the team when the team won the Cup for the first time in 1961.

But, at one point, Dan, who had been extolling Dunfermline as a club, for its friendliness, togetherness and the way the players stuck together, was asked about his time at Firhill. He mentioned a few positive things, players he liked,  games he played in, goals he scored but, said, on being asked about pay etc, (words to the effect) ‘You never got an extra farthing out of them!’ which was a bit sad to hear. I recall Jackie Campbell was in dispute with the club over pay for quite a while, BEFORE the glory days of 1971/72. And, another of my favourites, Johnny Flanagan, actually left Firhill for Clyde, back in the day, over a dispute over his wages. I hated seeing him in the white shirt of Clyde when we played them!

Were Thistle unfairly ‘tight’ over players’ wages, in the past? I’ve often wondered because of these cases!

PS: A lad in my secondary school class, ended up calling me ‘Dan’ continuously, because I was always talking about DMcL, every Monday morning after the Saturday games. I didn’t mind-quite liked it actually!

I carry around this memory of a newspaper headline (I think in the Evening Times): "The Man Who Came In From The Cold," covering the news that Campbell and the club had finally reached some kind of agreement, and so the player ended his "strike."

But I've never been able to find that newspaper. 

Maybe I dreamt it!

When we (pttv) done the 1971 video 

Their were two players that weren't speaking to the club Jackie Campbell  and Hugh Strachan 

It took a lot of persuasion  to get them to do a interview  

We went to Hugh Strachan House to do his and I can't remember were we interviewed

Jackie Campbell 

But once the club found out we had interviewed them they asked for their details etc 

We asked  the players for permission to give the club their phone number etc 

And the rest is history 

Mon the jags  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 1876 said:

When we (pttv) done the 1971 video 

Their were two players that weren't speaking to the club Jackie Campbell  and Hugh Strachan 

It took a lot of persuasion  to get them to do a interview  

We went to Hugh Strachan House to do his and I can't remember were we interviewed

Jackie Campbell 

But once the club found out we had interviewed them they asked for their details etc 

We asked  the players for permission to give the club their phone number etc 

And the rest is history 

Mon the jags  

That's interesting, thanks.

I always felt that there was no great affection for the club by Strachan, probably because he was refused the coaching position that McParland wanted him to get, which in turn led to McParland leaving the club. 

Is what I've written above accurate?

For Campbell, I wonder what the issue might have been, given that he ended up being a stalwart for many years after the League Cup.

^ PTTV, legends!

Lots of big news running through our home page these days. so hopefully anyone interested is keeping the site bookmarked. It's a big day all round in Thistledom, not least of which is the discovery of two new first-team games, the second of which has revealed another four-goal haul for the first Partick Thistle giant... WILLIE PAUL! Check the news on our home page...

thethistlearchive.net →

1894-06-13b.jpg

1 hour ago, The Thistle Archive said:

^ PTTV, legends!

Lots of big news running through our home page these days. so hopefully anyone interested is keeping the site bookmarked. It's a big day all round in Thistledom, not least of which is the discovery of two new first-team games, the second of which has revealed another four-goal haul for the first Partick Thistle giant... WILLIE PAUL! Check the news on our home page...

thethistlearchive.net →

1894-06-13b.jpg

Am I right in thinking that the referee for this match is our former player John Drummond, who did play for Sheffield United?

21 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Am I right in thinking that the referee for this match is our former player John Drummond, who did play for Sheffield United?

It is indeed. Checking the site, there are currently three former players cross-referenced as referees in our games, sure there are another one or two in reality, but can't bring them to mind.

John Drummond →

John McCorkindale →

George Cumming →

All the facts and figures are in place for 2022-23, Lawless up to 52nd in our all-games goals, charts, Fitzpatrick top-of-the-table for the season on alphabetical order, 2+ goals in 3 consecutive games for the first time in over a year... momentum...

Season 2022-23 →

aidan.png

30 minutes ago, Mad Mull Jag said:

Was thinking after yesterdays Bannigan must be up there with the most booked Thistle players of all time. 

Is there any stats on this ? 

Funny. Was thinking that might be the case but was actually surprised when I saw his name come up with a yellow yesterday. Hardly ever booked these days. Averaging two yellows a season of late. 

^ You can see the cards in our squad tables per season e.g. 2021-22 (via the 'full' tab) although I appreciate that doesn't give you the overall tallies. Also, we only quote from 1997-98 onwards as our data is full and meaningful from then-on. The Top 25 bad-ass table since then...

PTFC Competitive (First) Yellows 1997-98 to date

67 - Stuart Bannigan
55 - Alan Archibald
36 - Paul Paton
31 - Abdul Osman
29 - Christie Elliott
26 - David Rowson
24 - Billy Gibson
23 - Chris Erskine
23 - Willie Kinniburgh
22 - Danny Devine
22 - Sean Welsh