St Mirren v Partick Thistle, Wednesday night

thebiglemon

Have largely been  paying no attention since May but now that actual  competitive games are on the horizon I'm quite keen.

Slightly disappointed to find Bannigan still kicking around but have no clue about signings etc

Won at St Mirren the last 2 times I was there - Christie Elliot's terrible but ultimately great 1st touch after McDaid's handball in the build up.

C'mon Thistle!

49 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

St Mirren  joint bottom and have just lost their Capt...however, must be in better position than us re match fitness ..3- 1 St Mrren.

I expect there'll be considerable difference in match fitness, which will turn out to prove significant. Then again perhaps they'll take this competition a little less seriously than normal this season. There's reasons why they might but I'm stretching it a bit.

Gotta feeling that both the starting XI and the formation will differ between this game and our first league match.

42 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I expect there'll be considerable difference in match fitness, which will turn out to prove significant. Then again perhaps they'll take this competition a little less seriously than normal this season. There's reasons why they might but I'm stretching it a bit.

Gotta feeling that both the starting XI and the formation will differ between this game and our first league match.

I suppose they there are 2 possible reactions by St Mirren to their present League predicament:

1) Play an experimental line up, perhaps bringing in younger squad members and giving them a chance to prove themselves as worthy of replacing under-performing senior players. Allied to this they might "rest" the better performing  senior players to ensure that they are ready for up and coming more vital league encounters.

2) See this as an opportunity to restore confidence, and remember the winning feeling and the route to goal, by hammering under-prepared minnows from a lower league.

Strangely I might feel more optimistic about Scenario (2) than Scenario (1). However, I think you are right that regardless of the mood in the St Mirren camp, the fact that they have been playing real football matches will most likely tell in their favour. My only limited grounds for hope are that Ross Docherty looks a real player who will not give up without a fight, and that Brian Graham also always seems to be up for every match and has scored slightly more goals than past form might have suggested. If these two do not both play, this would be a sign to me that we are not too bothered about the League Cup and are putting all eggs into the League basket.

Given the circumstances over the summer I have just about lost interest in all things football except The Jags. 

If I watch football on TV its MOTD rather than Sportscene! 

However with this game v St Mirren coming up I watched a couple of recent highlights. 

I thought SM looked a big, strong team and that they moved the ball around the park effectively.  Although recent signings may make a difference they did not seem to offer much of a threat  in the penalty box. For a decent Jags Team they are there for the taking. 

The question is - are we now a decent Jags Team?  I have no idea! 

I agree with other posters that match fitness is a significant advantage for SM. 

Given that SM are one of the many clubs that stabbed us in the back a Jags win would add a bit more to my general level of satisfaction! 

33 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Given the circumstances over the summer I have just about lost interest in all things football except The Jags. 

If I watch football on TV its MOTD rather than Sportscene! 

However with this game v St Mirren coming up I watched a couple of recent highlights. 

I thought SM looked a big, strong team and that they moved the ball around the park effectively.  Although recent signings may make a difference they did not seem to offer much of a threat  in the penalty box. For a decent Jags Team they are there for the taking. 

The question is - are we now a decent Jags Team?  I have no idea! 

I agree with other posters that match fitness is a significant advantage for SM. 

Given that SM are one of the many clubs that stabbed us in the back a Jags win would add a bit more to my general level of satisfaction! 

Agree with EJ.  In the Betfred Cup up to 5 substitutions are allowed , with an additional substitute if the game goes to extra time.

If he's not in the starting lineup, the likes of Senna would be a useful sub.  We can use our 5 wisely.

On 10/4/2020 at 10:20 PM, Auld Jag said:

As St. Mirren park is closer to me than Firhill is, it is one of the few away games i went to in recent years. So i am really disappointed no fans are allowed, as i wanted to boycott the game.:thumbsup: :fan:

You can still boycott the St Mirren video stream.

1 hour ago, steve61 said:

Regarding the above comments on match fitness, I was interested to note Falkirk beat Kilmarnock 3-0 today in the League Cup. Killie have played 9 League games, Falkirk none !!

Dundee too. Although their game was against another unfit team. :happy2: