vandals at firhill

wrighty

Mindless vandalism of the kind that many so-called activists or protest groups engage in because they think it's fine to damage property as long as it's not their own. It has existed for a long time, and it will continue. Thankfully, the mess can be dealt with quite easily, though at a cost that the perpetrators don't even care about, because it's not them who needs to pay for it.

8 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Anyway, the vandalism was superficial.

The biggest act of vandalism at Firhill in recent years was demolishing this, with no certainty of it getting replaced with anything to improve the stadium.

Years later, and the damage is still there for everybody to see.

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1602176464978.jpg

can see my usual perch :(

13 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

The biggest act of vandalism at Firhill in recent years was demolishing this, with no certainty of it getting replaced with anything to improve the stadium.

Ah the days! Many fine times.... my favourite memory is watching Thistle beat St Johnstone (5-1?) in the 1971 League Cup QF to overturn a 2-0 deficit in the first leg away...   Also seeing a Saint's supporters bus driver (or maybe he was the team bus driver) in tears on the terracing....    First time I ever saw an adult cry! 

Then onto Hampden where Denis scored twice and then onto the final....    As a young impressionable lad I thought winning the second div championship the season before and then the cup meant success would be the norm...…..  50 years later.....   :frantic:

What a shame that 5-1 win over St. Johnstone isn't on film. Likewise the 3-2 win over the govanites the following season.

Some truly memorable occasions watching Thistle in the old Firhill.

The "new" version is (so far!) associated with far fewer great memories (some good, ones), but the 5 goals against Dunfermline and then the 1-0 Morton game are right up there with the best.

30 minutes ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

3-2 over pre sevconians was the same season!  Remember Mathieson kicking Gibson up and down the pitch throughout the first half.

Matheson only kicked Gibson when he could get near him...... which wasn't very often!

We did get our own back when Charlie Smith delivered a lovely right hook into Colin Stein's midriff! Ref and linesman didn't see it but Gers fans who did went berserk! 

Great moment! 

Ps: I don't condone violence. 

23 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Matheson only kicked Gibson when he could get near him...... which wasn't very often!

We did get our own back when Charlie Smith delivered a lovely right hook into Colin Stein's midriff! Ref and linesman didn't see it but Gers fans who did went berserk! 

Great moment! 

Ps: I don't condone violence. 

I used to watch Charlie Smith often when the ball was elsewhere. He was always winding the opposition up, talking to them, barging into them for no obvious reason etc. I liked his style when he played for us!

On 10/9/2020 at 12:01 AM, Jaggernaut said:

How good does that look.

I'll keep my promise to rebuild it when I win the Euro's.

Can see where my family used to stand and remember the Forfar 0-0 promotion game from there.

I also remember watching Thistle v Celtic in there with my Dad and being surrounded by Celtic fans.

It's my earliest football memory and was around 1977 I think - could be 2 years either way I guess.

Remember Thistle scoring and cheering and then being growled at by the surrounding Celtic hard men.

I was 6 or 7 years old ffs.

Anyway, despite my best attempts, I'm unable to find the exact game anywhere in the archives.

Assume it was League and think we lost 3-1.

• Like 1