Strangest thing on a football pitch

steve61

Hi folks.

Let me first of all congratulate Scotland on reaching the play-off final against Serbia. I genuinely hope they progress, as I always do with the home nations. My own country, Northern Ireland also reached the play-off final with a shoot out win away in Bosnia. But here's the thing... I guess you probably haven't seen the match and the incident  maybe didn't even make the highlights, but I have never seen the likes in 50 years watching the beautiful game...

Bosnia won a free kick 30 yards out, and Northern Ireland put 4 men in the wall. No funny business there you say. However, Paddy McNair ran over and lay down fully on the ground on his side with his back resting against the back of the "wall". I thought he'd taken a heart attack and wondered why his team mates were not screaming for medical attention until the camera zoomed in and Paddy is on his side, facing his own goal with a huge cheesy grin on his bake.

Of course it dawned on me, when the "wall" jumped, as the kick was taken, that Paddy was protecting a daisy-cutter from creeping under the wall. Just when I thought I'd seen everything. UTJ  

19 minutes ago, steve61 said:

Hi folks.

Let me first of all congratulate Scotland on reaching the play-off final against Serbia. I genuinely hope they progress, as I always do with the home nations. My own country, Northern Ireland also reached the play-off final with a shoot out win away in Bosnia. But here's the thing... I guess you probably haven't seen the match and the incident  maybe didn't even make the highlights, but I have never seen the likes in 50 years watching the beautiful game...

Bosnia won a free kick 30 yards out, and Northern Ireland put 4 men in the wall. No funny business there you say. However, Paddy McNair ran over and lay down fully on the ground on his side with his back resting against the back of the "wall". I thought he'd taken a heart attack and wondered why his team mates were not screaming for medical attention until the camera zoomed in and Paddy is on his side, facing his own goal with a huge cheesy grin on his bake.

Of course it dawned on me, when the "wall" jumped, as the kick was taken, that Paddy was protecting a daisy-cutter from creeping under the wall. Just when I thought I'd seen everything. UTJ  

I guess that NI had intelligence that the B&H kicker was likely to try the daisy-cutter. I have seen it done before, I think in an English club match. On that occasion the prone player did stop a kick that was deliberately hit under the wall.

Never saw that before on tv or at any professional match. However, when I was playing Sunday league for one of the local Whitburn pubs, the Stoneyburn team got a free kick 30yds out . Our boys made of wall of 4 and the big fat guy in their team ran over the ball and dived sideways along the ground into our wall knocking a couple of guys over (like skittles). Other guy took the free kick as this happened...smacked the fat guy on the heid and it went straight oot for a shy. Now it would be called a WTF moment. The ref was psn himself. 

• Haha 2

seen plenty WTAF things In the decades spent as a keeper in the amateurs - so here’s a couple of good ‘uns

1. Linwood player saying ‘if you want my shirt I’ll give it to you at the end of the match you c***’ to my left back at a corner on a freezing Saturday morning  ... left back wobbles a bit and then projectile vomits all over his face and top. He was allegedly still coked out his nut after a heavy boozing & snorting session which only ended hours before kick off. Wipes his lips and says ‘no thanks get yer maw to wash it’. Corner proceeded as normal and Linwood player stood in shock in the 6 yard box for about 2 minutes dripping in spew before plodding off.

2. On a Scottish Cup afternoon  match against Harris FP up in Dundee, on a horrific sloping pitch on the village green just outside the school, game was fairly even at 2-2 but had been punctuated by 3 broken bones (2 legs and an ankle) meaning prolonged delays waiting on three separate ambulances to arrive. Wasn’t a nasty game though as all collisions were committed but accidental. Game with stoppages went on for nearly 5 hours. The ref should have abandoned the match but played on and lost the plot as the actual playing time for the second half was clocked by our boss at 1 hour and 42 minutes. We ended up losing 5-2. Our normally sane midfielder who was also an aspiring head teacher in a Motherwell area school stormed back to the dressing rooms to find them locked. He then turns into the Hulk and kicks the wooden door until he’s battered in the bottom panel, crawls through the hole and proceeds to wreck our dressing room. He then opens the door, lets us in and punches four of our boys - absolute tonto. We hear next day he’d gone to A&E and had broken three toes and two fingers.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, steve61 said:

Hi folks.

So, was it a daisy-cutter, or did he blooter it over the bar?