Need a degree to purchase today’s game FFS

Bobbyhouston

Just watched the Queens Park highlights package which filled in a few drops in the stream yesterday. Queens Park even in that didn't really threaten at all and for a team thats clearly had some money spent on it I expected more.

Even on the highlights package you can see that once Murray and Cardle are on we stretched their defence and started racking up the chances. Also Penrice's pass for Cardle's first is very good, on first viewing I thought it was just a lump to the back post but when you watch it again he's very much picked out Cardle. Cardle's finish is also very good.

2 hours ago, laukat said:

Just watched the Queens Park highlights package which filled in a few drops in the stream yesterday. Queens Park even in that didn't really threaten at all and for a team thats clearly had some money spent on it I expected more.

Even on the highlights package you can see that once Murray and Cardle are on we stretched their defence and started racking up the chances. Also Penrice's pass for Cardle's first is very good, on first viewing I thought it was just a lump to the back post but when you watch it again he's very much picked out Cardle. Cardle's finish is also very good.

Similar to Penrice’s excellent cross against Ayr for Graham’s goal.  Hopefully something he’s improved upon 

Watched the highlights which had commentary, but the full match replay didn’t ?

Didnt think we were that much better in 2nd half compared to 1st. Gordon got a bit of stick but he was involved in shutting down Queens quite a lot, I thought. The defence was fairly solid - I think they only had 1 chance in 1st half and none in 2nd

I've only watched the highlights on the QP site, which presumably will favour their team. On that alone it looked as Lenziejag says like they had one clear goal chance (if you exclude the McHugh overhead) in the whole match.

If there was any improvement from us in the second half would it be down to the change in personnel, formation change or a bit of both? 

Our positional change  from 4-3-1-2 to a 4-3-3 came at halftime. We had a bit more urgency second half but the really noticeable improvement came after Murray came on for Spittal.

Murray came on in 63 minutes and we scored our first 3 minutes later. If I remember correctly the Queens Park 11 and 24 both got booked for fouls in the area Murray was playing. The unkown in this is how much tiredness of the Queens Park players led to this.

When Murray came on the pace of him and Cardle coupled with the natural width made the biggest difference in my opinion. Spittal tried his best on the wing but his first thought is rarely to attack the fullback on the outside as per Murray and Cardle. Also Spittal naturally drifts in towards the middle whereas Cardle on the right wing stayed a lot wider.

If Spittal is to be a regular starter it'll need to be either as a number 10 in a 4-4-1-1 or as a wide right midfield in a 4-4-2. Right now our best starting formation is a 4-3-3.

I am beginning to wonder if I watched the same game. I thought the 1st half was ok until the last 15 mins or so - without creating chances. 
I didn’t think Murray was too effective. Regarding the bookings - thought 24 was getting booked twice, but walked away and the ref eventually just raised the yellow card in the direction of a couple of Queens players.

Maybe does not need me to say it, as it was clear on the highlights and remarked on by the commentator, but for anyone who has not heard and seen these, an absolutely brilliant piece of strong and skilful midfield play by Sena Niang in the build up to the second goal. Won the ball in a 30-70 challenge, got up on his feet and drove forward. Twice a pursuing player clipped him from behind, but instead of weakly going down, he kept going determinedly, maintained the momentum of the attack  and delivered the ball wide from which the cross came over to Cardle, who scored.

Many players would have settled for a free kick, which would have given us little advantage. 40 yards out dead centre of the pitch. Too far out to shoot and difficult to get an angle for a header on goal. One suspects a floaty free kick which would have been easily cleared. So well done Sena for going for something better.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I am beginning to wonder if I watched the same game. I thought the 1st half was ok until the last 15 mins or so - without creating chances. 
I didn’t think Murray was too effective. Regarding the bookings - thought 24 was getting booked twice, but walked away and the ref eventually just raised the yellow card in the direction of a couple of Queens players.

There was one of the bookings Michael Max did not know reason for but blink and you missed it.  The QP player kicked the ball away at free kick and the ref was quite delayed showing the yellow.

6 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Maybe does not need me to say it, as it was clear on the highlights and remarked on by the commentator, but for anyone who has not heard and seen these, an absolutely brilliant piece of strong and skilful midfield play by Sena Niang in the build up to the second goal. Won the ball in a 30-70 challenge, got up on his feet and drove forward. Twice a pursuing player clipped him from behind, but instead of weakly going down, he kept going determinedly, maintained the momentum of the attack  and delivered the ball wide from which the cross came over to Cardle, who scored.

Many players would have settled for a free kick, which would have given us little advantage. 40 yards out dead centre of the pitch. Too far out to shoot and difficult to get an angle for a header on goal. One suspects a floaty free kick which would have been easily cleared. So well done Sena for going for something better.

100% agreement on that. I was sure he was going to fall after one of those tackles.

On the topic of getting little advantage from a free-kick, what about corners? In the last 2 matches we've had something like 20 corners, with absolutely zilch to show from them. For us , corners seem to be a complete waste of time, more likely to finish with the other team in possession than anything else.

22 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

100% agreement on that. I was sure he was going to fall after one of those tackles.

On the topic of getting little advantage from a free-kick, what about corners? In the last 2 matches we've had something like 20 corners, with absolutely zilch to show from them. For us , corners seem to be a complete waste of time, more likely to finish with the other team in possession than anything else.

I recall we went through a similar period a few years ago. As well as not threatening to score from our own corner kicks, on a few occasions we even lost a goal as the other side broke away to score. I did have a serious discussion with some fellow fans as to whether the percentages were such that we would be better just putting the ball straight out of play at the corner flag, and at least forcing the other side to take a throw in from an awkward position that might work out to our advantage.

38 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I recall we went through a similar period a few years ago. As well as not threatening to score from our own corner kicks, on a few occasions we even lost a goal as the other side broke away to score. I did have a serious discussion with some fellow fans as to whether the percentages were such that we would be better just putting the ball straight out of play at the corner flag, and at least forcing the other side to take a throw in from an awkward position that might work out to our advantage.

That's not such a daft idea, because at least their defence would be stretched and less ready to deal with a ball they know is almost certainly about to arrive.