Clyde game...£12?

westertonjagfan

19 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I can see us playing catch-up already against cove and Falkirk.

Airdrie like Clyde will be well up for next Saturday. The same lack of interest and poor fitness from supposed professionals like Richard Foster and Brannigan will see us getting another deserved defeat.

just how bad does Banzo need to be tiger dropped or is he just undroppable in McCalls eyes

Bannigan, O'Ware, Cardle, Spittal.... too many players with mediocrity and failure permeating their game for too long..... they ain't magically going to turn into winners and leaders, not even against part-timers.

17 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I think as Jags we will forgive a lot except not playing for the Jersey.  I wasn't at the game or watching the streamed version but going by the posts it seems we didn't turn up today - one of many days where we haven't turned up over the past 3 years.

If McCall is sacked who do we appoint as manager? 

Barry Ferguson 

So in summary .... the club is rotten from top to bottom , the club behaves like it’s a premiership team, has a billy big boots  attitude , fan ownership has been hijacked , the finances are a disaster 

so we should 

sack the manager, sack the coaching staff, get rid of all the players , sack all the other staff , get rid of the board 

7 minutes ago, javeajag said:

So in summary .... the club is rotten from top to bottom , the club behaves like it’s a premiership team, has a billy big boots  attitude , fan ownership has been hijacked , the finances are a disaster 

so we should 

sack the manager, sack the coaching staff, get rid of all the players , sack all the other staff , get rid of the board 

Nope all should rectify what went so wrong yesterday in terms of attitude, fitness, coaching and ensure that it is sorted for what will be a very hard game against Airdrieonians this Saturday 

29 minutes ago, javeajag said:

so we should 

First paragraph spot on.

Second paragraph. Yes, sack the manager( won't happen), sack the coaching staff( wont happen), get rid of all the players( not all, but a few), sack all the other staff( no except the CEO), get rid of the board( definitely) and the fan ownership nonsense to boot.

Edited by Garscube Road End 2

10 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Same guy mate. With this site moving address I couldn't get in under my old guise, so created GRE2. 

Thanks mate I was just wondering and wasn’t sure if it had been someone else being at the windup or trying to be a smart Alec.  As on another football forum a couple of years ago I used to be a member of someone was being a smart Alec setting up a similar username to me. No idea why people do that sort of thing- but had wondered if someone had tried that with you

I can understand why McCall said that performance was not good enough.

I wld have been disappointed if he hadn’t.

Big worry for me is his reliance on the return of Graham...

Just when the single striker up front was slow it gets even worse.....

Again a lack of speed through the middle & up front is worrying.

• Like 2

From the Jagzone highlights, Clyde cut right through our defence several times with low, accurate and fast forward passes.

By contrast, we were as usual pi**ing about with tip-tap short and mostly sideways passes, no pace, outside their penalty area, combined with the odd hopeful but mostly hopeless cross.

And our corners.... ended up with possession lost, and near the end, their goalie lying happily on the ball, letting the clock run down. 

Airdrie got off to a comfortable winning start on Saturday. They'll be confident. We'll go into the game with the losers' mentality that we've developed over the last 3 years; part-time teams have nothing to fear against us. Even a win will not signal a major change.... but it could be a crucial start, I suppose.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Again talking from a distance, but it doesn't appear the defence was too wonky. I know Sneddon made a few fine saves but I think they were mostly when we were chasing the game towards the end. Plus Brownlie had been moved up top to boot (alas no doubt you can take that literally as well).  Losing only one goal away from home should hardly be a concern. Coming on the back of two clean sheets (one with a man down)tends to support that assumption.

Doubt anyone can disagree but the obvious problem lies at the other end of the park. I'd be less concerned if we missed sitter after sitter but not creating enough chances is a big worry. If we had just squandered a plethora of chances we could at least blame part of the defeat on our strikers being unavailable. When I hear we weren't moving the ball about fast enough then that's a real concern. If the underlying reason for that is overall fitness then it's near inexcusable. I don't know and sincerely hope that isn't the case. 

• Like 2

To my mind there were a few problems in Saturday.

Our 4-3-3 formation doesn't work with Kouider-Aissa as the striker. Its need the physcial threat of Graham to hold the ball up or the pace of Rudden to get in behind the defence. I think Kouider-Aissa needs a partner up front either Graham or Lyons. So if he's the only option I think we need to change to 4-4-2.

Our best attacking performace I've seen so far was the opening 45 minutes against St Mirren. That was mainly done through the front 3 pressing high against the St Mirren defence with Bannigan and Gordon taking turns to join the press. On Saturday there was no press and Bannigan slipped back to playing almost in line with Docherty rather than further forward.

Our passing was too slow and was always just behing the target rather than in front of them to give them something to run onto.  We also took too manu touches to control and play a pass.

The lack of pressing and slowness of play made me wonder just how many of our team were struggling with having played 4 games in 10 days. They should be capable of doing that as professional footballers and with 5 subs per game. However much of our attacking play and pace revolves around Cardle, Murray, Gordon, Bannigan and Docherty if they are not sharp then we lose any pace we have and equally pretty much all our creativity. Bannigan and Docherty have played pretty mcuh every minute prior to Saturday's game and the others have played most of them.

In hindsight it may have been better to have started Niang, Spittal, Lyons and Reilly against QOS in the league cup and kept Docherty, Bannigan, Gordon, Murray and Cardle fresher for the league game.

43 minutes ago, laukat said:

In hindsight it may have been better to have started Niang, Spittal, Lyons and Reilly against QOS in the league cup and kept Docherty, Bannigan, Gordon, Murray and Cardle fresher for the league game.

Apologies for the selective quoting but full time footballers shouldn't need to be "kept fresh" four games into the season. I'll make an exception for Cardle due to age, but notwithstanding both games were on artificial surfaces that really shouldn't come into it just now. Besides if any team should've been disadvantaged by playing two games in a week it would Clyde.  

If tho' you're correct about keeping key players fresh then that just raises the question of fitness issues.

8 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Apologies for the selective quoting but full time footballers shouldn't need to be "kept fresh" four games into the season. I'll make an exception for Cardle due to age, but notwithstanding both games were on artificial surfaces that really shouldn't come into it just now. Besides if any team should've been disadvantaged by playing two games in a week it would Clyde.  

If tho' you're correct about keeping key players fresh then that just raises the question of fitness issues.

Agree that 4 games in 10 days at this point of the season should be something they can cope with. Clyde did cope better but the also made substantial changes from the team that started against Falkirk mid-week. From what I can see only 6 players that started for Clyde versus Falkirk started against us 4 days earlier.

Beyond keeping players fresh using the rest of the squad in the league cup gives them a chance to impress and develop a plan B for suspensions and injuries. Docherty and Bannigan look like key players this season but we know they will get suspended and we need to see what the alternatives are. Our second choice midfield 3  of Niang-Spittal-Reilly should have been competitive enough to field against QOS. Lyons could have done with a start instead of a cameo against Clyde when we ran out of attacking options.

McCall seems to favour continuity of selection and formation. I suspect over the long run that approach will bring consistency and results but it will leave games when the opposition are fresher and sharper than us.

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Again talking from a distance, but it doesn't appear the defence was too wonky. I know Sneddon made a few fine saves but I think they were mostly when we were chasing the game towards the end. Plus Brownlie had been moved up top to boot (alas no doubt you can take that literally as well).  Losing only one goal away from home should hardly be a concern. Coming on the back of two clean sheets (one with a man down)tends to support that assumption.

Doubt anyone can disagree but the obvious problem lies at the other end of the park. I'd be less concerned if we missed sitter after sitter but not creating enough chances is a big worry. If we had just squandered a plethora of chances we could at least blame part of the defeat on our strikers being unavailable. When I hear we weren't moving the ball about fast enough then that's a real concern. If the underlying reason for that is overall fitness then it's near inexcusable. I don't know and sincerely hope that isn't the case. 

I realise I am mentioning his name a lot but banzo is one who is very guilty of slowing play down and then passing the ball from side to side which in many cases gives the opposition time to regroup

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Being a bit pedantic but Clyde has played 3 games in 10 days not 4 as they had missed out one of the sets of fixtures in the league cup

There is no discernible style of play , with our full time players fitness shouldn’t be an issue.

Ian McCall has got to be the man who dictates our style of play , if he’s going to play some sort of pressing game he’s got to have fit athletic players to do that .

Think we’re adopting a 4 4 1 1 just now with the width coming from Cardle and Murray neither who seem to be able get to the byline and get crosses in or cut the ball back .

I’m more disappointed that after 30 odd games since he came back , we’re not any better.

Our Club needs  energy and pace in the team , most teams even in the 3 tier would find us easy to play against with our pedestrian and slow style of play .

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I realise I am mentioning his name a lot but banzo is one who is very guilty of slowing play down and then passing the ball from side to side which in many cases gives the opposition time to regroup

Agree totally with this. I know its harsh to say that Bannigan is not been the player he was prior to his injury and the very lengthy absence caused it! 

He has been a great servant to the club but perhaps a younger, faster, box to box midfielder and to find another role for him either in or out of the team! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Agree totally with this. I know its harsh to say that Bannigan is not been the player he was prior to his injury and the very lengthy absence caused it! 

He has been a great servant to the club but perhaps a younger, faster, box to box midfielder and to find another role for him either in or out of the team

We're a bit short of Asst. Managers

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

He has been a great servant to the club but perhaps a younger, faster, box to box midfielder and to find another role for him either in or out of the team! 

To be fair the club has been very loyal to banzo as much if not more than he has been a great servant to the club.

he was going to Aberdeen (and quite right for him as it’s a short career football) before his injury. Upon this we gave him a 2 year contract - the first year he did not play once, the second year only a few games.  Since then he has regularly had contract extensions despite being poor. Last year he was given a 2 and a half year deal despite having a very poor season, which will give him a testimonial l.

i think he has been looked after very well by the club the last 5 years or so and unfortunately it’s not always been repaid by some of his performances on the pitch

• Like 2

On 10/19/2020 at 4:30 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

If he stopped posing for photos and stayed off the sun beds , we would probably get another 2 year out of him