McCall teas out

Bobbyhouston

I don't think that  McCall's time is up  -  yet.

Some of those posting have previously -correctly- commented on mothballing the season because of economic constraints. The club has budgeted for several scenarios, including no fans for this season, which is looking increasingly likely thanks to the selfish idiots round the country that can't show a modicum of restraint and consideration for others.  I'm quite sure that the club's  budget calculations don't take in the cost of sacking the current management team and bringing in a new one.

His honeymoon period is, though, well and truly over.  The team is his, not Caldwell's duds.  Clyde rested up players for Betfred Cup games, and I don't understand why we cannot use the squad we have to its full extent, with varying formations.  The lack of chances in the Clyde game was surprising, but teams will defend and see out games against the strong teams in this league, and their benches will have in the main  replacement defenders to achieve this aim.

McCall has said time and time again that we need to get off to a flying start, but with Banzo slowing down the game, we are playing into their hands, and can't say we're "flying"  Sena has played well off the bench, and has had experience of the teams  in this league, and I think now deserves more than a bit part.  Clyde only had two players attacking at their goal, and why Love wasn't picked up earlier wasn't good.  Ballwatching.

Everybody feels the games coming up are vital to us, and failure will certainly have me change my mind on McCall's departure.

Having not been sacked in (or just after) his previous season, I wasn't calling for Caldwell to be sacked after only one league game. Same goes for Archie the season before. So I'm not about to call for McCall's head after one league game. My attitude being since they're still here we have to see what they'll do with the squad they've been allowed to assemble. Removing McCall just now would not only be seen and in reality be a judgement on the manager but a condemnation of the squad as a unit. Tho' I think it's too early to get rid of McCall anyway, I certainly believe it's far too premature to judge the squad.

I realise my logic re above can be seen as flawed since both Caldwell & Archie were eventually sacked. I also realise that in a short season we're in effect at game fourteen. I just feel that we need to give McCall a few more league games to prove both he and the squad are up to the task. That said my alarm bells will be ringing loud and clear if fitness/stamina issues are shown to be contributory to a poor start. That clearly would warrant a complete change of management. 

• Like 1

Apart from any other issues, the disciplinary one seems to be players creating a rod for the team's backs. Bannigan can barely tackle without conceding a free kick, and Graham was obviously irate long before he got himself sent off. This isn't a new problem, but officials will have noted it, and even if the team committed no fouls to the end of the season, the players would never be given the benefit of any doubt.

I am not pro or anti McCall. I do think he was the popular appointment at the time, and I also think like LIB above, to call for his head after one league game is OTT.

However, I do think there is a problem, and we may all be unwitting contributors to it.

This squad was built not for this division, but the majority for the division above.  Was it unfair the way we were relegated? Absolutely yes. However, when football stopped what was my expectation for the rest of the season?  If I am honest, it probably was for us to finish 9th and lose the play off.

The unfair narrative has allowed the abject failure of the team last season to be forgiven, or forgotten. If people are constantly told they don't deserve to be where they are, and they have been unfairly treated they may perhaps begin to have it filter into their psyche that they are better than they are.  If they think they are big time charlies they will fail in this league, against hungry honest wholehearted part timers. History tells us this. 

It mystifies me that Sena and Lyons were two of the best players in this league last season but they seem to be bit part players for us, shut out by serial losers.

Finally, just because you can use more substitutes does not mean you should do so, without good reason.  I see this really disrupting second half performances.

3 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Apart from any other issues, the disciplinary one seems to be players creating a rod for the team's backs. Bannigan can barely tackle without conceding a free kick, and Graham was obviously irate long before he got himself sent off. This isn't a new problem, but officials will have noted it, and even if the team committed no fouls to the end of the season, the players would never be given the benefit of any doubt.

If Bannigan gets red carded or booked so often that he's banned again before too long, then that should be the end of him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaf said:

I am not pro or anti McCall. I do think he was the popular appointment at the time, and I also think like LIB above, to call for his head after one league game is OTT.

However, I do think there is a problem, and we may all be unwitting contributors to it.

This squad was built not for this division, but the majority for the division above.  Was it unfair the way we were relegated? Absolutely yes. However, when football stopped what was my expectation for the rest of the season?  If I am honest, it probably was for us to finish 9th and lose the play off.

The unfair narrative has allowed the abject failure of the team last season to be forgiven, or forgotten. If people are constantly told they don't deserve to be where they are, and they have been unfairly treated they may perhaps begin to have it filter into their psyche that they are better than they are.  If they think they are big time charlies they will fail in this league, against hungry honest wholehearted part timers. History tells us this. 

It mystifies me that Sena and Lyons were two of the best players in this league last season but they seem to be bit part players for us, shut out by serial losers.

Finally, just because you can use more substitutes does not mean you should do so, without good reason.  I see this really disrupting second half performances.

Interesting points and not disagreeing but I get the impression that Hearts players were in the same situation with it filtering into their physche that they didn’t deserve to be where they were and so far that looks to have provoked a good reaction from them

42 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

If Bannigan gets red carded or booked so often that he's banned again before too long, then that should be the end of him. 

Since his red card almost a year ago, Bannigan has only picked up 3 bookings in 19 games. One yellow every six games must be way below the average for a central midfielder. It may not last but at least that's one part of his game he's been trying to improve on.

Up to the Clyde game Bannigan looked a different player form the previous 2 seasons. He was finally playing slightly futher forward and getting beyond the strikers which is what he is good at and when we made the top 6 what almost got him a move to Aberdeen.

Docherty has freed Bannigan from being deepest midfielder and it means when Bannigan makes a mistake in posession which he does once or twice a game he's not last man. I believe if both Docherty and Bannigan can stay fit we will start to see big improvement in Bannigan as more of an attacking threat. However changing Bannigan's game from the defensive role of the last 2 years to being an attacking midfielder is going to take some games to do. I though McCall subbing him on Saturday was an indication that he wasn't doing what McCall wanted him to do and instead playing too deep.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jaf said:

It isnt just one league game is it? It goes back to start of 2020. We have been utterly abject since then. This is McCall's third squad since took over1 being from Caldwell). Yet his best results were with Caldwell's squad? He had long enough to get us out of trouble and fecked it up with his dealings in the January market. And now we lack any threat to a defence. That equates to rank incompetence on the manager's part. He obviously came back to Thistle for his retirement fund.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 10:08 AM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Having not been sacked in (or just after) his previous season, I wasn't calling for Caldwell to be sacked after only one league game. Same goes for Archie the season before. So I'm not about to call for McCall's head after one league game. My attitude being since they're still here we have to see what they'll do with the squad they've been allowed to assemble. Removing McCall just now would not only be seen and in reality be a judgement on the manager but a condemnation of the squad as a unit. Tho' I think it's too early to get rid of McCall anyway, I certainly believe it's far too premature to judge the squad.

I realise my logic re above can be seen as flawed since both Caldwell & Archie were eventually sacked. I also realise that in a short season we're in effect at game fourteen. I just feel that we need to give McCall a few more league games to prove both he and the squad are up to the task. That said my alarm bells will be ringing loud and clear if fitness/stamina issues are shown to be contributory to a poor start. That clearly would warrant a complete change of management. 

Game 14 of the season and we’re only three points off top spot. I feel better about the Clyde game now :D

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, elevenone said:

That’s a relief.

Wait just read back.  A measure of how far we have fell if i’m saying that.

Enjoy game AJ.  Will be glancing over at your spot during the match.  :fan:

Thanks @elevenone. I will also be looking at my spot if the stream goes ok, absence does make the heart grow fonder. I really like it when goals are shown on twitter and i can see myself and young Robert just behind the goal. Hope you and your boy enjoy the game and some day we will all be back inside Firhill cheering the jags on. :happy2: :fan: