Ending 2020/21 season early

fifexile

BBC reporting all 42 clubs are being canvassed on their views for how the current season should be ended if it becomes necessary. Apparently if there is a consensus then the clubs will be asked to vote. Any chance of 42 clubs coming together to agree given the shambles ending last season?

Edited by fifexile

38 minutes ago, fifexile said:

BBC reporting all 42 clubs are being canvassed on their views for how the current season should be ended if it becomes necessary. Apparently if there is a consensus then the clubs will be asked to vote. Any chance of 42 clubs coming together to agree given the shambles ending last season?

If we are in no danger of relegation (I'm assuming that we won't be among the most likely promotion candidates, even at this early stage), then I would like to see us vote according to how the teams voted with regards to our fate last season. If they voted for us to be relegated, then we vote likewise. If they were against our relegation, we vote likewise. 

Is there anything wrong with that?

38 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

If we are in no danger of relegation (I'm assuming that we won't be among the most likely promotion candidates, even at this early stage), then I would like to see us vote according to how the teams voted with regards to our fate last season. If they voted for us to be relegated, then we vote likewise. If they were against our relegation, we vote likewise. 

Is there anything wrong with that?

None whatsoever. Quite within the spirit of the SPFL. 

This will be another example of where the decision to end the season early last year will come back to bite the SPFL on the backside.

As far as I'm aware there was no mimimum number of games played that stipulated a season could be called, standings honoured and prizes given as oppossed to being abandonded and declared null and void.

If the season has to end is 4 or 5 weeks time with say Sevco top of the league and 20 games left to play what happens? In our league there are currently 3 teams tied in last place, its not inconcievable there will be similar circumstances, how do you decide relegation if they wish to go with the precedent that has been set? Falkirk and Hearts are currently leading their respective leagues if the answer is to abandon then hows that fair to them?

We really don't want to be anywhere near the bottom of the league at any point this season. Is it too early to call the Airdrie game a must win?

Rangers top of the league with 20 games to go - then they must be declared champions! Celtic would just love kissing their history making 10th consecutive title goodbye! Hell mend them! 

From the posts  I have read of our performance v Clyde suggests we might well face another demotion! Will see what happens on Saturday v Airdrie! I would take a lucky, undeserved win! Any score in our favour will do! 

3 hours ago, Pinhead said:

That is a shame but if they were one of the clubs that voted to relegate us **** them and all who sail in them!

As far as I can mind Peterhead are one of the goody clubs.

eta https://www.peterheadfc.org/2020/07/28/peterhead-chairman-we-will-welcome-partick-thistle-but-they-should-not-be-coming-here/

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

Clubs like DUFC need to take a long hard look at themselves ....no one ever thought stadiums would be full till well into next year the best outlook was maybe 20-30% before that .....so given that context the prudent course would be to carefully manage costs ....in addition they have 5000 season ticket holders so not sure how many more than that they were expecting ....so having mcnulty on a reported £5k a week and three others on a higher wage level is foot shoot time 

On 10/21/2020 at 8:14 AM, Norgethistle said:

If season is ended before Christmas or fans not back this season we will be lucky to have 30 professional clubs left in Scotland 

You’re 100% correct , no SG support to help the Clubs regardless off the restrictions they’re putting on them but that’s not any surprise if you ask the business community.

Still maintain under the current circumstances the season shouldn’t have been started especially the bottom 3 divisions and should have been mothballed for a year .

With very little Income or Financial Support coming in , this is all going to end up with lots of casualties.

Any idea what our 400k a year Doncaster and Maxie are doing to help ?

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

You’re 100% correct , no SG support to help the Clubs regardless off the restrictions they’re putting on them but that’s not any surprise if you ask the business community.

Still maintain under the current circumstances the season shouldn’t have been started especially the bottom 3 divisions and should have been mothballed for a year .

With very little Income or Financial Support coming in , this is all going to end up with lots of casualties.

Any idea what our 400k a year Doncaster and Maxie are doing to help ?

An announcement was made on 5 October by Joe Fitzpatrick, the SG Minister that funding would be available for Scottish football.  Agreement in principle had been made with Nigel Huddlestone, the UK government Under Secretary of State for sport tourism and heritage.  No exact figures were agreed, and negotiations were "ongoing".  Clarity was needed on consequential Barnett funding, as funding had been made elsewhere.

That, I'm afraid, is the last we have heard of that.  I have sympathy for the Peterhead part time and full time hospitality and other staff who are casualties of this ongoing situation.  Peterhead may actually be one of the clubs who will benefit from fans being allowed back early, but I think that it has come too late for these people.  I don't like anyone losing their means of income, due to circumstances wholly outside their control. It's also fair to say that for the reduced number of attendees allowed, and the cost of security etc that may not be the blessing it seems.  I don't know how many season tickets the club has sold.

JLS is right that the SFA and SPFL should be working their butts off to  help our clubs, but so far, nothing  further has been said about any (or the lack of) negotiations.  The SG gave the arts £91 million Covid funding, and I don't grudge that either.  But football does need a fair crack of the whip, but I'll desist from saying anything about whips, SG  / UK government ministers and SFA / SPFL execs, and at least letting clubs know what the hell is going on.  

Can somebody in authority please tell us what is happening?  So far the only cash for Scottish football has come from benefactors, and that plainly is just not good enough. The lack of communication on this issue is, frankly, embarrassing.

I wasn't aware that the SG had promised funding to Scottish Football to help with financial hardship due to the pandemic and I am glad to learn that this is the case! 

However as a tax payer I would be angry about funding clubs that have had a history of financial indulgence. Clubs like Dundee Utd, Dundee, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and others. I appreciate any Govt support will be for Scottish Football in general and for all the clubs but I do hope any such funding comes with 'strings attached' forcing the SPFL/SFA to make clubs live within their means. 

Dundee Utd with a wage bill in excess of their turnover is just outrageous; Kilmarnock and Ross Co being funded well beyond their means is ridiculous and should be subject to a FFP investigation! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I wasn't aware that the SG had promised funding to Scottish Football to help with financial hardship due to the pandemic and I am glad to learn that this is the case! 

However as a tax payer I would be angry about funding clubs that have had a history of financial indulgence. Clubs like Dundee Utd, Dundee, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and others. I appreciate any Govt support will be for Scottish Football in general and for all the clubs but I do hope any such funding comes with 'strings attached' forcing the SPFL/SFA to make clubs live within their means. 

Dundee Utd with a wage bill in excess of their turnover is just outrageous; Kilmarnock and Ross Co being funded well beyond their means is ridiculous and should be subject to a FFP investigation! 

Agree. If the SPFL get their way they will concentrate on the premier league and the other clubs outwith will be left to sink or swim.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree. If the SPFL get their way they will concentrate on the premier league and the other clubs outwith will be left to sink or swim.

I thinkbthat has been their plan all along. Create a super division where this is no relegation . Leave a pile of clubs, including ours to die.