Happy Anniversary !!!!-!

Jaggernaut

I remember the day well....

Rather pleasingly,  the thistle archive, in their daily summary of games played on this date in past years has the longest summary of a game played yet, and I suspect we won't see any larger!!

I suppose that the lads had to get all of the goals in.:fan:

We showed the Celts how it's done

We kicked wee Johnstone up the bum

E for B and  Alex Rae 

Showed the Jags were men that day!

McQuade & Laurie also score

All 4 enshrined in Jags folklore

Edited by East Kent Jag II
Add. Of McQuade etc.
  • Like 2

My dad was born in 1932 in Maryhill and followed the Jags all his years till he passed away in 2018. He obviously missed the 1921 Scottish Cup triumph and then came the 23rd October 1971. I had started going to see the Jags in 1970 as a 6 year old so to reach a national cup final within a year was something else - apart from the something else. We stayed in Hotspur Street but made plans to move to Cumbernauld and the moving date - 23rd October 1971. The one national cup final during my dads life and we were moving house!!! On a Saturday as well. Only positive was our new neighbours on both sides were Celtic daft. Interesting introduction  with the local kids following the obligatory 'what team do you support?' question. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Cue 49 minutes video :o:happy2:

Loved every second of that, despite having seen it hundreds of times!

In particular, Ronnie Glavin and Alex Rae were not interested in taking prisoners that day! Lawrie and Bone brilliant. Campbell majestic.  Forsyth showing why he'd soon be at Old Trafford.....

One thing that strikes me is how fast our team played, in contrast to the pedestrian stuff we get served now.

Love those ground level slow motion replays of the goals... gives a better indication of the size of the Thistle support that day. I live in hope that there's still some unseen footage of the game somewhere, and that it will be discovered.

It cost the club a lot of money for the 22 minutes highlights from stv 

For us pttv to make the video 

It was always Arthur montford commentary we knew 

We heard Celtic filmed the game but couldn't find out anymore about who the cameramen was. 

We also think the bbc also filmed the game .

Hope you all enjoy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

What a great day. One advantage of being a auld yin now is being able to say, i was at Hampden to watch my team, Partick Thistle humble not just the best team in Scotland, but one of the best teams in Europe.:fan:

Indeed

Celtic , only a few months previously had been in the European Cup final.

my da took me to the game at the ripe old age of 3 - he was a cough cough a green one - mercifully I had better taste by the age of 7 or 8 and was getting regularly lifted over the turnstiles up Firhill Road by more elderly Jags fans - perhaps sandy even lifted me over the auld buffer!  - the DVD kick-off at my casa on the 55 inch flatscreen at 9 p.m. tonight - in comes Bone and he walks the ball into the net it's 4 nil!!! - happy anniversary troops! :drink2::fan: 

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

St Mirren v Livi

Hibs v St Johnstone

That is the semi final for the 20/21 league cup. If we had been half decent we could have repeated our sequence. 

Cheers to Archie, Caldwell and McCall for their efforts to get us where we are now. 

All four are more successful clubs than us when it comes to winning major silverware, even  Livi in their short existence.

17 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

All four are more successful clubs than us when it comes to winning major silverware, even  Livi in their short existence.

38 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

St Mirren v Livi

Hibs v St Johnstone

That is the semi final for the 20/21 league cup. If we had been half decent we could have repeated our sequence. 

Cheers to Archie, Caldwell and McCall for their efforts to get us where we are now. 

not sure why you are singling out just these 3, if you are talking about lack of success in our history ?

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

not sure why you are singling out just these 3, if you are talking about lack of success in our history ?

These 3 are responsible for breaking the sequence.

The rest of our lack of success is mainly down to our arses collapsing when we face the old firm and in general not being good enough, perhaps too soft even. I mean, we cant even win the challenge cup for god sake.

6 hours ago, MonehJags said:

These 3 are responsible for breaking the sequence.

The rest of our lack of success is mainly down to our arses collapsing when we face the old firm and in general not being good enough, perhaps too soft even. I mean, we cant even win the challenge cup for god sake.

I am not sure what you mean by breaking the sequence. Breaking the sequence of what ?

1 hour ago, MonehJags said:

The Thistle sequence, a domestic trophy every 50 years. 

The sequence isn’t every 50 years. We were formed in 1876, right. We won the Scottish Cup in 1921 - that’s 45 years. Then the league cup in 1971 - that’s 50 years. Sadly, the next number in the sequence is 55. So, 2026.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1