Streaming After Covid

Weebaw1

I’m hoping Covid will end some time (Goodness knows when) to allow stadiums to open.

I think Thistle will still attract a crowd of around 2,500 every week.

The world will be a different place so surely streaming must continue. I don’t know how many people will be streaming but this must be a source of income for us and others.

Blow away old, negative rules about no live screening. Let Jags fans all over the U.K. and the world stream matches at £10 per stream. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My guess is that the number of fans "all over the UK" (let's say, outwith Scotland) and the world who would pay to watch the live streams would barely reach 20 per match. If that was financially viable, then go with it, I say.

My second guess is that making the live stream available within Scotland might significantly cut the number of spectators turning up at the stadium every match. Much easier and more comfortable to stay home with a couple of cans of beer or whatever and pay just a tenner than to pay the costs of travel to Firhill, pay to get in, and then freeze and/or get soaked to death.  Result?: Significant long-term loss of income for the club.

Maybe it could be done with some out of the box thinking.... For example, for every match ticket bought in advance (full admission price), a live feed link could be given to one specific e-mail address (for the 10 quid extra, of course, paid either along with payment for the match ticket, or paid from the specified e-mail address), and that link would be valid for that address only.  

Turning football into a TV sport has signalled the long decline of the game as an event which people go to watch. Post covid could see this long term death speed up, as broadcasting companies see streaming as another way to monopolise the income. Season tickets will become no more than a TV subscription and as clubs and the governing bodies become more reliant and tied in to the media  the cost of up-keeping stadiums to allow fans in will become, in the thoughts of club owners, burdensome. So, for people like me who don't particularly like watching my football on a screen, streaming not working well would actually be a good thing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

I’m hoping Covid will end some time (Goodness knows when) to allow stadiums to open.

I think Thistle will still attract a crowd of around 2,500 every week.

The world will be a different place so surely streaming must continue. I don’t know how many people will be streaming but this must be a source of income for us and others.

Blow away old, negative rules about no live screening. Let Jags fans all over the U.K. and the world stream matches at £10 per stream. 

It’s only a matter of time till the EPL realize they can make more money streaming live to suit the Asian market than the current UK market and change kick off times to suit as there are no fans in the stadium. 

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

It’s only a matter of time till the EPL realize they can make more money streaming live to suit the Asian market than the current UK market and change kick off times to suit as there are no fans in the stadium. 

Thinking the same. Completely sponsored and promoted by some online gambling site. Polish up the fake sound system, computer animated crowd and away you go.  

Think Weebaw's view will come around that bit quicker now, but even if permission is in place the SPFL will follow rather than lead the way.  Agree that ideally Thistle and SPFL shouldn't drag their heels when it comes to the inevitable trends. At the same time personally I find watching football on screen so different, so less enjoyable and interesting than attending a match. I'd hope there's enough Jags fans with a similar view as even that 2500 gate average would be endangered. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Thinking the same. Completely sponsored and promoted by some online gambling site. Polish up the fake sound system, computer animated crowd and away you go.  

Think Weebaw's view will come around that bit quicker now, but even if permission is in place the SPFL will follow rather than lead the way.  Agree that ideally Thistle and SPFL shouldn't drag their heels when it comes to the inevitable trends. At the same time personally I find watching football on screen so different, so less enjoyable and interesting than attending a match. I'd hope there's enough Jags fans with a similar view as even that 2500 gate average would be endangered. 

Agree with you absolutely. The screen experience is nowhere near that of being personally present at a game. Barring extreme emergencies, I would never miss being personally present at a competitive Thistle game if there was any conceivable way of being there. The prospect of missing a livestream game does not fill me with that same sense of loss.

Thus are longstanding habits, connections, links and loyalties loosened and eventually broken.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

32 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Agree with you absolutely. The screen experience is nowhere near that of being personally present at a game. Barring extreme emergencies, I would never miss being personally present at a competitive Thistle game if there was any conceivable way of being there. The prospect of missing a livestream game does not fill me with that same sense of loss.

Thus are longstanding habits, connections, links and loyalties loosened and eventually broken.

Agree with both these comments. In the past if a Thistle game was on TV i would always be at the game, no matter the weather. I can't wait to get back into Firhill.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We are at the cliff edge of so much that we’ve taken as normal disappearing as we know it for good.

Attending football in person 

Meeting friends and family in numbers

Traveling

Seeing gigs or shows

Buying goods in a shop (look at Wales where supermarkets have closed off books, baby clothing etc as non essential)

Im not comfortable how we (as a society) will emerge from this, as everything is being geared towards big businesses, multi nationals (Amazon, Sky, Google Apple etc) at the detriment of small businesses (Small football clubs, small shops, bars, clubs restaurants etc). 

• Like 1

I think most people will want to go back to games, I know everyone I know is really wanting to be able to go and would prefer it to streaming games online. It does ok just now to allow us to watch the team but IMO its not anywhere near as good a being at the game. My worry is that people become used to being able to see us "live" from their couch and if this lasts all season then there will be more chance of people not wanting to go back and happy to watch at home.

There then is the question on how you price it, do you make it the same as a PATG ticket or set it at the current price ? People may choose to pay £10 instead of £20 to go to the game which will lose the club income. Its a difficult one and thankfully im not making the call on that.

As Norge says there is still the quesiton on how we emerge from this , there are may struggling financially, mentally and in whole other ways we still dont know. Hopefully we all get through it in one piece and get back to Firhill soon :)

Part of the "experience" of going to a match is the being part of the crowd, moaning or cheering and chatting with guys you see at the games at half time.  And of course the post-match pint at a game.  Although I still retain just enough interest in football to watch a game my man reason for going is to actually catch up with guys I only see occasionally away from football.

57 minutes ago, Junior said:

I think most people will want to go back to games, I know everyone I know is really wanting to be able to go and would prefer it to streaming games online. It does ok just now to allow us to watch the team but IMO its not anywhere near as good a being at the game. My worry is that people become used to being able to see us "live" from their couch and if this lasts all season then there will be more chance of people not wanting to go back and happy to watch at home.

There then is the question on how you price it, do you make it the same as a PATG ticket or set it at the current price ? People may choose to pay £10 instead of £20 to go to the game which will lose the club income. Its a difficult one and thankfully im not making the call on that.

As Norge says there is still the quesiton on how we emerge from this , there are may struggling financially, mentally and in whole other ways we still dont know. Hopefully we all get through it in one piece and get back to Firhill soon :)

With the shite that has been on display for last 3/4 years i would prefer to stay at home and stream rather than waste my time and effort going to be depressed at cold firhill

1 hour ago, Junior said:

I suppose the pricing would depend on how successful it is. How many watched the stream today eg. 

2 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Would you have been depressed today, if you had gone ?

Yes, i thought the game was poor fare and we were very beige. This is not a team that inspires. Last team that inspired was when we won promotion and stayed up before the squad fell apart. That was fast paced flowing football that excited. Today was more of the same we have come accustomed too that falls way short of anything inspiring.

10 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Yes, i thought the game was poor fare and we were very beige. This is not a team that inspires. Last team that inspired was when we won promotion and stayed up before the squad fell apart. That was fast paced flowing football that excited. Today was more of the same we have come accustomed too that falls way short of anything inspiring.

Fair enough. For 10 mins at the end of 1st half and 20 mins at start of 2nd we were pretty good. Admittedly not at the level of the season you mention. 
Prior to 2012/2013, when did we last play sparkling football. This is Thistle(and actually most teams in Scotland) - you get a good season once in a while. 

12 hours ago, Pinhead said:

With the shite that has been on display for last 3/4 years i would prefer to stay at home and stream rather than waste my time and effort going to be depressed at cold firhill

Would we either bother to stream with what we’ve seen in last 3/4 years?

A big part of going to the game is meeting friends before it, the interaction with those around you in the stand and the analysis after with fans in the flesh. If that’s gone people will switch off

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

A big part of going to the game is meeting friends before it, the interaction with those around you in the stand and the analysis after with fans in the flesh. If that’s gone people will switch off

Correct. The last 3 years the football has only been an excuse to go to the pub, with the game itself being an endurance. It has to be said, even during those desperate times, I still miss my Saturdays 

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

For me a big part was going to the game alone (because I had no friends), and watching all those folk with friends interacting and analyzing with them. I used to pretend that I was joining in. :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MonehJags said:

Correct. The last 3 years the football has only been an excuse to go to the pub, with the game itself being an endurance. It has to be said, even during those desperate times, I still miss my Saturdays 

Conversely going to the game keeps me out the pub. Well, for a couple of hours at least. Now I find the folk I used to meet up with on Saturday evenings are looking a bit blurred when they come into the boozer. :)

I'm missing live music just as much as going to games, probably even more so. And it's almost the exact same with music as with football. I've done a few of these concert video link thingies, but that's soulless in comparison to being at a concert. At least with music you can get a high quality sound in your living room. With football you're never seeing anything like 100% of what you see at a game (maybe no bad thing :)).