Dundee United Skint

Bobbyhouston

Could this be the start! 

Peterhead are letting 29 staff go! Sympathy for them but not Dundee Utd. 

The Arabs bought last year's Championship with a wage bill that was 130% of turnover. The recommended level for wage bills is I believe around 68-70%!

Attempting to reduce their wage bill by 20% leaves it, arguably, still too high!

Still if their situation deteriorates they have some assets to sell, Shankland, provided of course there are buyers! 

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

Could this be the start! 

Peterhead are letting 29 staff go! Sympathy for them but not Dundee Utd. 

The Arabs bought last year's Championship with a wage bill that was 130% of turnover. The recommended level for wage bills is I believe around 68-70%!

Attempting to reduce their wage bill by 20% leaves it, arguably, still too high!

Still if their situation deteriorates they have some assets to sell, Shankland, provided of course there are buyers! 

Actually the 130% may have referred to the previous year. It didn't take into account Shankland's wage!

9 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Actually the 130% may have referred to the previous year. It didn't take into account Shankland's wage!

So their situation could be even more critical as it also doesn't take into account a couple of big (and expensive) summer signings! 

18 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Am I the only one who doesn't want any club to collapse ? Employees made redundant and suppliers out of pocket is not good for anyone. 

No I don't think your alone in not wanting clubs to collapse. After all we might not be too secure either. I interpreted the tone of this thread being one of the degree of sympathy for Dundee Utd not of wishing them to go out of business! 

Neither Dundee club has a great record when it comes to financial prudence. A case of lessons not learned. 

I do wonder though if clubs like Ayr, Raith Rovers, St Mirren, Clyde, QOS, Dundee Utd, Dundee, Hibs, Ross Co etc would shed any tears if we faced closure! Doubt it! 

19 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Am I the only one who doesn't want any club to collapse ? Employees made redundant and suppliers out of pocket is not good for anyone. 

I trust you're not alone. I think tho' there's elements of "I told you so" and certainly a pecking order in terms of volume of sympathy.

Whilst I think rulings should be in place to stop clubs from exceeding their turnover in wages, what Dundee Utd did was still part of a business plan, albeit highly risky. "Buying the League" is just investing to accumulate which is a normal business practice. From a footballing point of view it's naturally unsavoury and should be made unwelcome. All that of course is out the window just now as every club will be operating on a wages exceeding turnover basis. 

I was listening to Clyde SSB tonight and Mark Wilson was on his usual Thursday night slot after just being sacked by Brechin, laughing and joking about it after being murder last year and even worse so far this year, I remember him doing the same during the vote nonsense and he seemed quite smug it benefitted his team and kept him in a job, now he’s been punted, no shame at all tonight or apology to Brechin fans, wee Arab/Celtic ratbag,  I would genuinely love to see them die or at least take their hedge to football obscurity, get it up ye Brechin chairman who just so happens to be on the board! 

15 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

I was listening to Clyde SSB tonight and Mark Wilson was on his usual Thursday night slot after just being sacked by Brechin, laughing and joking about it after being murder last year and even worse so far this year, I remember him doing the same during the vote nonsense and he seemed quite smug it benefitted his team and kept him in a job, now he’s been punted, no shame at all tonight or apology to Brechin fans, wee Arab/Celtic ratbag,  I would genuinely love to see them die or at least take their hedge to football obscurity, get it up ye Brechin chairman who just so happens to be on the board! 

I agree, i take great joy in Brechins suffering

16 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place with this. I have no sympathy at all for the people who made the decisions that helped to demote us, but they are not the ones that will lose their jobs and suffer.

Exactly AJ. The issue is no one wanted to be first, now the Arabs have taken this stand many others will follow including possibly us. According to a poster on here we’ve already laid of academy staff, if we think we can ride this out with no impact to staff or salaries then we are kidding ourselves 

14 hours ago, Pinhead said:

I agree, i take great joy in Brechins suffering

With the possible exception of Dundee I believe Brechin have lately behaved the most despicably. No doubt using his position within the ruling bodies their chairman managed to realign his club into the Lowland League in event of almost certain demotion from League Two. That shift of demographics would of course have resulted in the other Lowland League clubs forking out extra dosh in travel expense. Then along comes covid ensuring Brechin will not have to face Kelty or Brora. No club has done well out of this lockdown but of all 44 clubs involved in the voting outcome over the summer Brechin have suffered the least, certainly status wise.

Where I maintain Brechin behaved despicably was with regards to Brora and Kelty. Even when they knew their own club was safe re League Two status they voted against a reconstructed league set up that would've allowed Brora and Kelty promotion. Had Brechin been confident that they had a stronger team than both of those clubs they no doubt would've welcomed what would in effect have been a safety valve for them this season. Clearly that's not the case which kinda indicates they knew they would've been unlikely to have survived the play off in the first place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

With the possible exception of Dundee I believe Brechin have lately behaved the most despicably. No doubt using his position within the ruling bodies their chairman managed to realign his club into the Lowland League in event of almost certain demotion from League Two. That shift of demographics would of course have resulted in the other Lowland League clubs forking out extra dosh in travel expense. Then along comes covid ensuring Brechin will not have to face Kelty or Brora. No club has done well out of this lockdown but of all 44 clubs involved in the voting outcome over the summer Brechin have suffered the least, certainly status wise.

Where I maintain Brechin behaved despicably was with regards to Brora and Kelty. Even when they knew their own club was safe re League Two status they voted against a reconstructed league set up that would've allowed Brora and Kelty promotion. Had Brechin been confident that they had a stronger team than both of those clubs they no doubt would've welcomed what would in effect have been a safety valve for them this season. Clearly that's not the case which kinda indicates they knew they would've been unlikely to have survived the play off in the first place.

Agree. It has also been said a number of clubs in league 2 feared the likes of Brora and Kelty coming up into the leagues, as this would have pushed other clubs closer to the relegation trap door out of the leagues. A number of clubs are happy to just kick about the lower end of the leagues and fear ambitious clubs replacing them.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Spot on; high on the 'deserving of bankruptcy' list.

Stories about Dundee Utd being skint go back for years and years. They seem to be a perfect example of a club that lives way beyond its means year after year (since their purple patch in the 80s), without ever doing anything of note.

We of course never do anything of note either, but we know our place, and generally plod along being poor and with no real ambition.