1921 Scottish Cup winners medal for sale

East Kent Jag II

Article in today's Glasgow Herald.  Jimmy McMenemy's 1921 cup winners medal is being auctioned by McTear's auctioneers on 20 November.  Expected to go for £2,000 to £4,000. Price expected to be high, as a non old firm medal sells for a higher price.

The article shows a Pathe News clip of the final, and worth reading the article to see that alone!  

Ah, bring back the old days!  Needless to say, not that I could remember this game personally.

As over 90% of football-related articles in The Herald have to do with blue or green, I am totally convinced that if there wasn't a tenuous OF connection here this would not even have been considered "newsworthy" by what was once a good newspaper, but which now considers news to be what has happened in Strictly Come Dancing and The great British Bake-off,  and who will appear on Question Time tonight. And they ask us to pay to support their "trusted, quality journalism."

Actually, about donating it to the club: that raises questions about who actually owns it, and what eventually happens to it. I seem to remember Bobby Lawrie donating his 1971 medal to the club (was that during Save The Jags?); so,  where is the medal now, and who took the decision for it to be wherever it is now? Who actually looks after all the memorabilia at Firhill? Are things catalogued? Are there checks and records about where items go? 

2 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

McMenemy was 40 years old when he played in the final.  He played for the Jags for a further two years.  

Apart from goalkeepers, any 40 year olds playing professional football today?

Not sure about today, but i think Davie Irons was in his 40's when he retired.

5 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Not sure about today, but i think Davie Irons was in his 40's when he retired.

Dean Windass played until he was 40, scored his last goal in the Premier League at 39.

Kevin McAllister hung up his boots at 40 with Albion Rovers.

Gavin Swankie sprang to mind as he seems to have been around for ever, but he isn't 37 yet!!

18 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Graeme Armstrong played from 1975 to 2001, making his last appearance for Alloa Athletic at the age of 44.

Over 900 career appearances, including more than 200 each for Stirling Albion, Meadowbank Thistle and Stenhousemuir.

Still younger than Auld Jag.

I am still younger than future president of America is. No matter which auld duffer it is.:happy2:

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 2:42 PM, Jaggernaut said:

As over 90% of football-related articles in The Herald have to do with blue or green, I am totally convinced that if there wasn't a tenuous OF connection here this would not even have been considered "newsworthy" by what was once a good newspaper,

Fair to say it's a newspaper stable on its deathbed.

Edited by One t in Scotland

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I am still younger than future president of America is. No matter which auld duffer it is.:happy2:

Maybe Airdrie missed a trick on their recent visit to Firhill. When they scored first, they should have gone to court to get the game stopped.

Teams like Thistle, when they get a result they don't like, are often told, "get on with it, it's not the end of the world". Given his attitude to climate change, a Trump victory might be exactly that.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 7:03 PM, East Kent Jag II said:

Article in today's Glasgow Herald.  Jimmy McMenemy's 1921 cup winners medal is being auctioned by McTear's auctioneers on 20 November.  Expected to go for £2,000 to £4,000. Price expected to be high, as a non old firm medal sells for a higher price.

The article shows a Pathe News clip of the final, and worth reading the article to see that alone!  

Ah, bring back the old days!  Needless to say, not that I could remember this game personally.

I see it sold for GBP 6,300.

• Thanks 1

This might be (probably is) my addled mind "at work" and nothing else, but I seem to remember reading somewhere (where?; it was a while ago) that the Thistle players actually got some other kind of momento/souvenir of their Scottish Cup win, instead of a medal.

Has anybody ever seen another PTFC Scottish Cup Winners Medal?