Partick Thistle vs Falkirk - 7 November

jagfox

20 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

A draw would be acceptable as long as we don't play like that's all we're after.

Sorry to disagree lib. I feel if we are serious about getting out of this league first time of asking, we need to win our home games.With us losing our first 2 away games this also puts pressure on us getting 3 points at home. Also if we are serious about promotion this season our away form has to improve and improve quickly. All of these factors even more important in that if we do complete the season there is only 27 games, also it is not unreasonable to think the season could end even sooner than the 27 game season that is planned. We need to get points on the board sooner rather than later. If the last 3 seasons has taught us nothing else, it has taught us that a poor/slow start is very costly.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Sorry to disagree lib. I feel if we are serious about getting out of this league first time of asking, we need to win our home games.With us losing our first 2 away games this also puts pressure on us getting 3 points at home. Also if we are serious about promotion this season our away form has to improve and improve quickly. All of these factors even more important in that if we do complete the season there is only 27 games, also it is not unreasonable to think the season could end even sooner than the 27 game season that is planned. We need to get points on the board sooner rather than later. If the last 3 seasons has taught us nothing else, it has taught us that a poor/slow start is very costly.

No disagreement really,

AJ. It's just that if it was just a question of us regaining decent form then that would be a different matter. But we've not evidently shown a semblance of decent form over our last three games. Falkirk have scored 5 goals to our 2 goals and I doubt shots on target/goal scoring opportunity stats are any more favourable. With that in mind then we'll probably have to play a damn sight better just to get a draw.  That's what I mean as being acceptable. The situation we find ourselves in where a home draw in League One against Falkirk would represent an improvement, well that's totally unacceptable. 

We've not had a clean sheet in any of our league games,  so we can start there.  I assume Sneddon is still injured.   I'm looking for more from Foster. He's not been as commanding as I'd hoped.

A couple of goals would help too. We need to be quicker up the park, & less predictable. 

Falkirk supporters think that their team bottles big games, so let's hope that continues.

4 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I agree

Furthermore, after a slow start to the season, if we win on Saturday and we consider our main opposition for the league to be Falkirk, that puts us only one point behind them

Lose, and we are already 7 points behind them, and perhaps more behind Cove

I know there is a long way to go but Saturday looks important already for determining our aspirations for season

Here's another perspective: lose again (quite possible) and if the season is declared over sooner than planned, we could find ourselves voted into the lowest tier of the main professional game.

From the top six in the SPL, where we clearly were out of our depth, that's the position that we've sunk to, almost as if it were fated, over the past three years. 

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

From the top six in the SPL, where we clearly were out of our depth, that's the position that we've sunk to, almost as if it were fated, over the past three years. 

I think we merited our place in the top 6 and whilst the performances once we reached there were poor,  I fully expected us to kick on with better recruitment and be challenging for top 6 again the following year.

Unfortunately that just didn't happen and we recruited and performed poorly.

Without wholesale changes to the starting XI, I predict another defeat. This Thistle team is one of the most gutless I have every witnessed and is a royal disaster both on and off the pitch. Williamson isn't the best defender in the world, but I think he's the only player in the team with a decent delivery; he should start. Lyons was one of, if not the best player in L1 last season. He hasn't been given a look-in as of yet. And if we want to score goals, McCall needs to decide on Bannigan or Docherty, because playing them both reminds be of the Barton and Osman days at CM. Completely ineffectual. 

Unfortunately, this weekend will be the first time this season I won't be giving Thistle my hard-earned cash to watch the steam which is a real shame. 

6 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Without wholesale changes to the starting XI, I predict another defeat. This Thistle team is one of the most gutless I have every witnessed and is a royal disaster both on and off the pitch. Williamson isn't the best defender in the world, but I think he's the only player in the team with a decent delivery; he should start. Lyons was one of, if not the best player in L1 last season. He hasn't been given a look-in as of yet. And if we want to score goals, McCall needs to decide on Bannigan or Docherty, because playing them both reminds be of the Barton and Osman days at CM. Completely ineffectual. 

Unfortunately, this weekend will be the first time this season I won't be giving Thistle my hard-earned cash to watch the steam which is a real shame. 

You realise by including Williamson in this gutless team will be making it even more gutless? Agree tho' about his delivery, which is often very good, but it effectively means we go a man down in defence.

The sooner we realise we're in league one playing mostly part-timers then maybe we will get back to basics. Straight forward 4-4-2 with two wingers.  Between the apparently 'undroppable' Banzo and Docherty, one of them need to get forward to support the attack. The slow pedestrian nature of the two kills our move before it even gets started. Its goals you need to win games and its goals we have struggled with this year. Anything other than a win and we can forget winning the league, simple as that

• Like 2

On 11/5/2020 at 1:31 PM, East Kent Jag II said:

We've not had a clean sheet in any of our league games,  so we can start there.  I assume Sneddon is still injured.   I'm looking for more from Foster. He's not been as commanding as I'd hoped.

A couple of goals would help too. We need to be quicker up the park, & less predictable. 

Falkirk supporters think that their team bottles big games, so let's hope that continues.

Foster offers absolutely nothing while Williamson offers us attacking threat , Foster selected before Williamson is a disgrace 

From what I've seen so far I think Wright looks the better keeper so I would think we would go with the following based on who is fit

Wright

Foster-Brownlie-Breen-Penrice

Gordon-Docherty-Bannigan

Cardle-Graham-Murray

Subs are going to be important particulalry with a limited pre-season and now 5 opportunities. So if we get a lead I would like to see Sena and Lyons come on for Murray and Cardle and switch to a 4-4-2. If we need to chase a goal then bring on Williamson for Foster, Spittal for Gordon and Lyons for Bannigan then switch to a 4-2-3-1.

Fast running out of patience with Bannigan so if there is no improvement on Saturday he needs to be dropped  and Sena given a run.

6 minutes ago, laukat said:

From what I've seen so far I think Wright looks the better keeper so I would think we would go with the following based on who is fit

Wright

Foster-Brownlie-Breen-Penrice

Gordon-Docherty-Bannigan

Cardle-Graham-Murray

Subs are going to be important particulalry with a limited pre-season and now 5 opportunities. So if we get a lead I would like to see Sena and Lyons come on for Murray and Cardle and switch to a 4-4-2. If we need to chase a goal then bring on Williamson for Foster, Spittal for Gordon and Lyons for Bannigan then switch to a 4-2-3-1.

Fast running out of patience with Bannigan so if there is no improvement on Saturday he needs to be dropped  and Sena given a run.

I'm up for that.

16 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Number 1    Goalkeeper Sneddon (if fit) Wright (if Sneddon not fit)

Number 2    Right back Foster or Williamson or AN OTHER? This is where it gets difficult

Maybe this is why people on this type of thread find it hard to name any starting eleven with confidence.

All day long 

I believe that even playing poorly we actually dominated much of last week's game away from home against one of the league's fancied teams! 

Could be the Falkirk game is coming at just the right time. A well motivated, playing for the Jersey Jags Team should win this game comfortably and kick start the rest of our season! However a team which turns up and just goes through the motions will lose. What team will turn up on Saturday is anybody's guess and therein lies the problem! 

I think tomorrow is a must win and a 'must win well' type of game. Agree that we need to sort the midfield-the lack of pace is shocking. We also, imo, could do with having some wingers and a bit more pace. By 'a bit more pace', I mean not looking like my late granny running for a number 60 bus.

Did I say we need more pace?

Edited by westertonjagfan

20 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Number 1    Goalkeeper Sneddon (if fit) Wright (if Sneddon not fit)

Number 2    Right back Foster or Williamson or AN OTHER? This is where it gets difficult

Maybe this is why people on this type of thread find it hard to name any starting eleven with confidence.

Old school 4-4-2 with 2 on wing.  High tempo.

wright

williamson

breen

brownlie

penrice

niang

docherty

lyons

spittal

graham

aissa