Partick Thistle vs Falkirk - 7 November

jagfox

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Watched the highlights, it looks like Falkirk’s 1st was offside, although Williamson’s toe may have been playing him onside. Not sure Wright’s positioning was right. For their 2nd, who was supposed to be marking Telfer - he was free in the box

Telfer starts his run from Pernice's left side. Penrice doesn't go with him for fear that someone else is to his left. Penrice is too focused on the ball and doesn't check to his left.

That then leaves Bannigan to react to Penrice's mistake but he also is looking at the ball and not looking for a Falkirk player to mark.

1 hour ago, East Kent Jag II said:

If he'd taken a step out before the pass, there's no doubt at all about offside.  Graham & Doherty suspended for Betfred Cup game against Morton, so an opportunity for a few to stake a claim.

Graham good at the back post for our 1st,  and took the 2nd well. As for the equaliser,  why oh why can't we take the ball for a walk to the corner flag?

Too often when we lose a late goal we tend to over analyse the play leading up to the goal. Inevitably a defender will get to carry the can. In truth as often as not the ball could've been held up the park out of harm's way. I never really know whether our defence is that nervy in relation to other defences, as other teams manage to limit our chances of a late goal. Could easily just be a percentage thingy rather than our defenders always being jittery. Besides if you know your defenders are nervy all the more reason to do your defending in the other half.  

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Looked like Shea Gordon to me 

I wondered about the logic of bringing him on when we were defending a lead. Reading McCall’s post match comments he said defending deep wasn’t his plan - so maybe he wanted Gordon to be more attacking. Did he touch the ball at all ?

46 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I wondered about the logic of bringing him on when we were defending a lead. Reading McCall’s post match comments he said defending deep wasn’t his plan - so maybe he wanted Gordon to be more attacking. Did he touch the ball at all ?

I agree that I would tend to see Gordon as someone you would bring on in the hope of nicking a late goal rather than to try and avoid conceding one.

From what I have seen, Niang could be the best equipped midfielder for keeping the ball further up the pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

I agree that I would tend to see Gordon as someone you would bring on in the hope of nicking a late goal rather than to try and avoid conceding one.

From what I have seen, Niang could be the best equipped midfielder for keeping the ball further up the pitch.

I really like the look of Niang. He deserves a chance to prove himself.

• Like 2

I was really annoyed at Docherty at times. Watch the highlights again, especially the chance Falkirk had when they hit the post at the end of the first half. The Falkirk player takes a touch before shooting and Docherty stands back almost resigned to it going in. Makes no attempt to even put the attacker off. Just stands until the ball rebounds off the post. Sheer laziness. 

6 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I was really annoyed at Docherty at times. Watch the highlights again, especially the chance Falkirk had when they hit the post at the end of the first half. The Falkirk player takes a touch before shooting and Docherty stands back almost resigned to it going in. Makes no attempt to even put the attacker off. Just stands until the ball rebounds off the post. Sheer laziness. 

7 hours ago, delurker said:

Yep; Gordon stood and watched both ball and players trundle past him into the box, yet again doing nothing to stop them.

Had a feeling of foreboding as soon as I saw him coming on.

Agree 100% with these observations. No one in our team appears to get a bollocking for not pulling their weight.  It's all so laid back and sets the tone for our lacklustre displays. 

Also hate it when Bannigan floats a 'shot' over the bar from 10 yds or so when he really should be putting his laces through the ball and above all getting it on target. 

Edited by Harrybriscoe
  • Like 1

I was too busy on Saturday to watch the game - my wife and I were out and about. I was though checking the score throughout the afternoon and was delighted to see we had managed to get it to 2-1l  At around the 75th minute I said to my wife (who is not the least bit interested in football) 'we will need a 3rd goal to win the game'! I felt it was inevitable we would lose a late goal.  Not the least surprised when I checked the final score! 

We have had this habit, losing late goals, for quite a few years now and still it goes on! 

9 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I was too busy on Saturday to watch the game - my wife and I were out and about. I was though checking the score throughout the afternoon and was delighted to see we had managed to get it to 2-1l  At around the 75th minute I said to my wife (who is not the least bit interested in football) 'we will need a 3rd goal to win the game'! I felt it was inevitable we would lose a late goal.  Not the least surprised when I checked the final score! 

We have had this habit, losing late goals, for quite a few years now and still it goes on! 

never to busy to watch Thistle, get her telt and get your act together FFS 

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

Have said this for years. We lose far more late goals (that directly influence the result) than we score them

Edited by p12tfc

11 hours ago, p12tfc said:

Have said this for years. We lose far more late goals (that directly influence the result) than we score them

The strange thing is that our worst time for doing this was when we were playing our best.  I have not analysed this in detail, but I am sure that in our top 6 season we conceded numerous late equalisers and the occasional late winner. In just about all our draws, we were taking the lead and being pegged back (Ade Azeez' equaliser v Celtic being a rare exception). Yet our overall record was tremendous.

Somebody will correct me I am sure but until our very recent late concessions against Cove and Falkirk, the last time I can recall us doing this were the horrendous consecutive 2-1 losses against Dundee and Hamilton in the Premier League. So we then  had over 2 seasons of poor football and poor results, but without late concessions.

Going back away into history, in our Save the Jags relegation season, in virtually all our draws, we were the team scoring the equaliser. That looks like great fighting spirit, but the overall points return was feeble.

Not quite sure what point I am am making. Probably the miserable one that for more than two seasons we were playing dreadfully, but at least we were not throwing away goals late on. Now we are doing both!

On 11/11/2020 at 9:28 AM, Bobbyhouston said:

never to busy to watch Thistle, get her telt and get your act together FFS 

I really quite enjoy spending time with my wife and I know that if she is happy I am happy! It's  one of the reasons we will soon be celebrating our 48th anniversary. 

It's also one of the reasons that she is prepared to spend an hour driving into Aberdeen on    a Saturday morning to drop me off at 9.30am and later does the same again to pick me up at 10.00pm!

Without her help I wouldn't be able to get to Glasgow to watch the Jags! 

It's called give and take! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I really quite enjoy spending time with my wife and I know that if she is happy I am happy! It's  one of the reasons we will soon be celebrating our 48th anniversary. 

It's also one of the reasons that she is prepared to spend an hour driving into Aberdeen on    a Saturday morning to drop me off at 9.30am and later does the same again to pick me up at 10.00pm!

Without her help I wouldn't be able to get to Glasgow to watch the Jags! 

It's called give and take! 

good mate of mine had that same set up , couple months ago his wife confessed to a 30 year affair , he tells me now that no wonder she had a smile on her face when she dropped him off and picked him up 

31 minutes ago, Bobbyhouston said:

good mate of mine had that same set up , couple months ago his wife confessed to a 30 year affair , he tells me now that no wonder she had a smile on her face when she dropped him off and picked him up 

An affair lasting 30 years?  I hope Norris McWhirter was informed.