AGM Accounts

javeajag

4 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Game 34 of our top 6 season! 

Why do so many think this? In game 34 we played quite well and drew 2-2 at Hearts, not helped by a soft handball penalty and red card awarded against Devine. Game 35 we battered Rangers for 45 minutes in a great performance, but managed to lose to a last minute goal. We then lost at Perth 1-0 to a penalty. I wasn't at that game  so can't comment on that performance, but for those 3 games I would disagree that we 'downed tools'. The Aberdeen performance was inexcusable, especially in the first half, so if anything thats when the slump started

• Like 1

The one that I still find particularly irregular, and I've long wondered why no journalist ever looked into it carefully, was the final game of the season 1958-59.  Dunfermline had to beat us by something like eight goals to avoid relegation, and they'd scored only 31 league goals at home all season...... until we dutifully showed up and they inexplicably notched up 10 goals against us. Final score: 10-1; Dunfermline "miraculously" saved. Thistle players and management..... hmm.....

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, jaggy said:

Why do so many think this? In game 34 we played quite well and drew 2-2 at Hearts, not helped by a soft handball penalty and red card awarded against Devine. Game 35 we battered Rangers for 45 minutes in a great performance, but managed to lose to a last minute goal. We then lost at Perth 1-0 to a penalty. I wasn't at that game  so can't comment on that performance, but for those 3 games I would disagree that we 'downed tools'. The Aberdeen performance was inexcusable, especially in the first half, so if anything thats when the slump started

Agreeing with you. The Hearts game at Tynecastle was a brilliant performance and we even managed to re-take the lead with 10 men.

The two final games against Celtic and Aberdeen were the disasters, but by that time we had virtually run out of players due to a combination of injuries.

League seasons  71/72 & 72/73 were quite similar to in 16/17 & 17/18.

In 71/72, we finished 7th, but from Feb onwards we were pretty dire - 2 wins out of about 11 games. In the following season we finished 13th.  Incidentally, if this was the season of reconstruction, we would have been relegated.

In 16/17 we finished 6th and the following season 11th.  Just the size of the leagues that resulted in relegation.

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

League seasons  71/72 & 72/73 were quite similar to in 16/17 & 17/18.

In 71/72, we finished 7th, but from Feb onwards we were pretty dire - 2 wins out of about 11 games. In the following season we finished 13th.  Incidentally, if this was the season of reconstruction, we would have been relegated.

In 16/17 we finished 6th and the following season 11th.  Just the size of the leagues that resulted in relegation.

Made this same point often. I don't even remember any great gnashing of teeth back then when we let twelve teams better us. Not something I've thought of much but another benefit of larger leagues would probably result in fewer managers being sacked. At least there would be less panicky knee-jerk sackings.

On 12/5/2020 at 10:12 AM, Fawlty Towers said:

I see our expenses were up from previous year, but turnover down.  Our expenses (mostly wages) are only £800k down from 2017 (Premiership team). Our turnover has almost halved in this time but expenses haven’t, that to me worry’s me.

The other thing I noted was £225k of “other operating income” was this a handout? 

27 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I see our expenses were up from previous year, but turnover down.  Our expenses (mostly wages) are only £800k down from 2017 (Premiership team). Our turnover has almost halved in this time but expenses haven’t, that to me worry’s me.

The other thing I noted was £225k of “other operating income” was this a handout? 

I am no expert, my assumption was wages still showed as high due to the very high turnover of players we have had. Every player who leaves before their contract is up is not doing so with no money. Caldwell and Kerr would have needed paying off as well plus McCall did say he had convinced the Board to spend a bit more than they planned to with the squad changes in January.

I don't know what the £225k related to. I don't think there was anything still to come from Fitzpatrick's transfer.

6 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Looks like there could be tough times ahead for our friends from Greenock:

https://mortonclubtogether.com/2020/12/11/morton-club-together-statement/

I think that statement could apply to around 90% of football clubs these days (with or without a manager resigning).

Edited by Jaggernaut