Partick Thistle v Morton 14th November

elevenone

I know we failed to qualify, but i think  we did alright. We lost at St.Mirren because we had a terrible 10minutes near the end of the game. We drew with 2 championship teams and beat them on penalties and we beat the team from league 2. Imo the next 6 games that take us to the end of the year are now vital. 3 At home and 3 away, we really need to win our home games and at least get a minimum of a point from each of the away games. I agree we have not played great but we need to find a way to win games even if we are not playing well. We have a horrendous injury list at the moment, but we need to pick up points to keep us in contact with the teams at the top.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McCall Out said:

Before you all go overboard celebrating a 0-0 draw with Morton, remember this is the first time we have failed to get out of a League Cup group. Archibald never failed to do it and even ****ing Caldwell managed it. 1 win in 4 games. A new low even for McCall

It's a pity you lack any sense of reality.  Archie & Caldwell had the advantage of Premier & Championship status. McCall has a team demoted to League 1 by the combination of the SPFL exec & a  cabal of self serving clubs. If the season had progressed QOS would be where we are now. But that's not what happened. 

Betfred Cup seedings are made on league status, so your argument is completely spurious. 

The start to the league was difficult, & there's a long way to go.

Why do naysayers always selectively pick & choose their line of argument,  without any sense of  the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth. Get real.

7 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

It's a pity you lack any sense of reality.  Archie & Caldwell had the advantage of Premier & Championship status. McCall has a team demoted to League 1 by the combination of the SPFL exec & a  cabal of self serving clubs. If the season had progressed QOS would be where we are now. But that's not what happened. 

Betfred Cup seedings are made on league status, so your argument is completely spurious. 

Why do naysayers always selectively pick & choose their line of argument,  without any sense of  the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth. Get real.

Just can't put my finger on what it is but there's something about McCall Out's posts that makes me tend to think he doesn't rate our present manager very highly.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

A bit of a glossover of the shambles that we have been in the last 4 years. Yes the way that the end of last season was handled was scandalous. But lets not forget that McCall couldn't get a victory out of his players in the months of 2020 until the season ended. We were utter guff and where heading down. We have only ourselves to blame for being in the position of being relegated. 

Not really glossing over anything. I was not overlooking the points you make. We have been a shambles since the 33rd game of our top 6 season! I didn't think there was a need to list all the mistakes we have made since, like signing players who hadn't played for ages or even appointing Caldwell who had a track record of zero success. I was attempting to address the present and that the squad we have assembled is influenced by the fact players we attempted to sign didn't fancy playing for us in league 1!

This was a direct implication of our demotion. 

IMO McCall when appointed had a much higher mountain to climb than he realised and his planning and signings would I believed have secured our position in the Championship! We were so far gone as a balanced and effective playing squad he needed more time.  The premature ending of the season completely wrecked his plans. Hence we are where we are with at best what can be described as a developing squad and at least a two season experience of league 1.

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Same could be said of many clubs. Falkirk, Airdrie etc. Yet still they survive. So will we. 

Yeah, we are not a (really badly) mismanaged club in the way that so many others are, our issues are that we just always seem to be the club that fcuks everything up?  We should be like Killie or St Johnstone, but we end up being the bouncy ball of Scottish football, but we are those super ball ones that can just about go anywhere!!!  Why can't we be steady (ish) and build on things, we are an amazing club and no matter, what it's always good to be Jags fans?

Edited by sb1876

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Same could be said of many clubs. Falkirk, Airdrie etc. Yet still they survive. So will we. 

Falkirk now have a wealthy owner behind them and a modern stadium (low maintenance).

Airdrie are a shadow of their former self, and are barely surviving same as Clyde, I’m not sure if either now own their own stadiums but merely lease for match day and training 

If being the level of Airdrie or Clyde is our goal we can switch the lights off now

4 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

At least 2 seasons in this league could potentially kill the club

I doubt it. We would suffer but we would recover. Remember we had crowds of not much more than 1000 in the 80’s. A successful team even in League 1 would attract a home support of at least 2500. We just want a winning team on the park

6 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

You cannot say for certain that we would have overhauled QOS. We couldn't beat them, when everyone else was. And yet you accuse others of not providing the truth. Where is your truth?

5 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Not really glossing over anything. I was not overlooking the points you make. We have been a shambles since the 33rd game of our top 6 season! I didn't think there was a need to list all the mistakes we have made since, like signing players who hadn't played for ages or even appointing Caldwell who had a track record of zero success. I was attempting to address the present and that the squad we have assembled is influenced by the fact players we attempted to sign didn't fancy playing for us in league 1!

This was a direct implication of our demotion. 

IMO McCall when appointed had a much higher mountain to climb than he realised and his planning and signings would I believed have secured our position in the Championship! We were so far gone as a balanced and effective playing squad he needed more time.  The premature ending of the season completely wrecked his plans. Hence we are where we are with at best what can be described as a developing squad and at least a two season experience of league 1.

He got more response and results out of the players he inherited. His signings in January did not work. He couldn't muster a solitary victory from them. We deserved to be where we were at the time of our relegation. 

He got more response and results out of the players he inherited. His signings in January did not work. He couldn't muster a solitary victory from them. We deserved to be where we were at the time of our relegation. 

At the time the season was called. There was still almost 1/4 to go( for us anyway) and the previous season we survived on the last day. We didn’t deserve to be relegated and the teams that got promoted didn’t deserve to be promoted. But we are where we are and need to get on with it. 

You cannot say for certain that we would have overhauled QOS. We couldn't beat them, when everyone else was. And yet you accuse others of not providing the truth. Where is your truth?

We did beat them. December 19, 2-1 at Palmerston. & we had to play them there again. Both clubs with no league wins in 20. But they had played a game more than us, & had Dundee Utd & Dundee to play.  We can only guess what would have happened,  but we did seem to have a less taxing run in.

My point was that to complain about non qualification from the Betfred Cup didn't take our enforced lowly position into account, a bias McCall opponents don't seem to recognise.

7 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

We did beat them. December 19, 2-1 at Palmerston. & we had to play them there again. Both clubs with no league wins in 20. But they had played a game more than us, & had Dundee Utd & Dundee to play.  We can only guess what would have happened,  but we did seem to have a less taxing run in.

My point was that to complain about non qualification from the Betfred Cup didn't take our enforced lowly position into account, a bias McCall opponents don't seem to recognise.

That’s true but if we assume we would have got to 9th, would we have win the play off.  Using past regulate as a guide as you have done, I think the answer would be no. The evidence?  1. Our previous playoff  capitulation. 2. Our defeat to raith in the tunnocks cup. 3. We hadn’t won a league game in 2020. That included failing to beat Alloa, Arbroath and an out of form ayr, as well as queen of south and inconsistent Dunfermline.  

I agree with so little that GRE says but I do think there is a complete lack of reality about what the likely outcome to last season would have been by many. The circumstantial evidence against is considerable! 

I accept that either Raith or Falkirk would have been a difficult task, if we had finished in 9th. We didn't get that opportunity,  and to come back to this season, only a PremierLeague side beat us in the League Cup.  We've had the difficult teams at the start of the league games, albeit with duff results.  

Too early to go for the manager, & where's the cash to  sack him?

6 hours ago, douglas clark said:

If I won the lottery, I would give the club over to  a  hand picked bunch of lawyers and accountants whose only aim would be get us back to the top level of Scottish Football.

Would you hand-pick them according to their experience in law and accountancy or their football knowledge? :thinking:   Could any football club survive their fees?  :no:

For me,  the one gamble that's failed this year is taking on a lot of potentially skillful players prone to or recovering from injury.   It may be as was posted earlier that  players wouldn't come to the club in this division,  but I'm not in a position to know how true that is.  Either way,  it hasn't worked.

6 hours ago, jaggy said:

I doubt it. We would suffer but we would recover. Remember we had crowds of not much more than 1000 in the 80’s. A successful team even in League 1 would attract a home support of at least 2500. We just want a winning team on the park

Then Jim Oliver arrived, brought Lambie and invested in the club, we don’t have that option anymore. The longer we are down, the more fans turn off, the lower our finances get, the worse the playing staff get the more fans turn off, it’s a very difficult circle to break.

18 hours ago, elevenone said:

Mccall confirms Spittal out for rest of the year.  :no:

Incidentally (one for the stattos) prior to today how many clean sheets has Mcginty kept at Firhill?

Ignoring yesterday(!), McGinty made 32 appearances at Firhill and there were 4 clean sheets - Morton, Dunfermline, Airdrie and Penicuik.

Edited by a f kincaid
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Please check your facts. EWe were not relegated because of some Machiavellian plot by  the SPFL exec & a  cabal of self serving clubs. We were relegated because we were bottom of the league. If we hadn't been bottom, we wouldn't have been relegated. We were bottom because McCall couldn't buy a win. FACT.

McCall was financially backed by the board in 2 transfer windows and probably had a bigger budget than either of the Championship clubs we faced. This was a relatively easy League Cup group yet McCall could manage just one win in 4. A 25% win rate which is below even his mediocre average.

The start to the league was not difficult if we had any asperations of challenging. 3 of the games have been against part-time clubs. 

If you know how the season would have progressed after the cancelation, please tell me next weeks lottery numbers.. Your argument is completely spurious.

Why do lovers of golden bollocks always selectively pick & choose their line of argument,  without any sense of  the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth. Get real.

• Like 1