Partick Thistle v Morton 14th November

elevenone

37 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Then Jim Oliver arrived, brought Lambie and invested in the club, we don’t have that option anymore. The longer we are down, the more fans turn off, the lower our finances get, the worse the playing staff get the more fans turn off, it’s a very difficult circle to break.

Agree 100% but we need someone to break that circle like we did as you say with Lambie and latterly when we gave Jackie  Mac and Simon Donnelly a chance .

Its not working just now , I would put a couple of names forward Darren Young and Stephen Craigen to get the Academy going .

11 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Falkirk now have a wealthy owner behind them and a modern stadium (low maintenance).

Airdrie are a shadow of their former self, and are barely surviving same as Clyde, I’m not sure if either now own their own stadiums but merely lease for match day and training 

If being the level of Airdrie or Clyde is our goal we can switch the lights off now

The wealthy gent has only taken a share of Falkirk and does not own it. He is not recognised for putting his hand in his pocket, but  transformed an English lower league club, The stadium is owned by the Falkirk council or the Falkirk Community trust who have offices in it.

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Then Jim Oliver arrived, brought Lambie and invested in the club, we don’t have that option anymore. The longer we are down, the more fans turn off, the lower our finances get, the worse the playing staff get the more fans turn off, it’s a very difficult circle to break.

It's difficult but not impossible as some of the doomsday scenarios punted on here.  Sooner or later the tide will turn. Who predicted lambies back to back promotions, our superb team under McNamara/Archibald and getting top 6? Virtually no one. I'd love us to be far more stable thats for sure but I'd find it difficult to continually support the club where I didnt imagine better days. 

1 hour ago, McCall Out said:

Please check your facts. EWe were not relegated because of some Machiavellian plot by  the SPFL exec & a  cabal of self serving clubs. We were relegated because we were bottom of the league. If we hadn't been bottom, we wouldn't have been relegated. We were bottom because McCall couldn't buy a win. FACT.

McCall was financially backed by the board in 2 transfer windows and probably had a bigger budget than either of the Championship clubs we faced. This was a relatively easy League Cup group yet McCall could manage just one win in 4. A 25% win rate which is below even his mediocre average.

The start to the league was not difficult if we had any asperations of challenging. 3 of the games have been against part-time clubs. 

If you know how the season would have progressed after the cancelation, please tell me next weeks lottery numbers.. Your argument is completely spurious.

Why do lovers of golden bollocks always selectively pick & choose their line of argument,  without any sense of  the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth. Get real.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth is that the season ended early. There is no certainty we would have been relegated or survived. Your assertions are just as flawed as those that say we would have survived.

2 hours ago, McCall Out said:

Please check your facts. EWe were not relegated because of some Machiavellian plot by  the SPFL exec & a  cabal of self serving clubs. We were relegated because we were bottom of the league. If we hadn't been bottom, we wouldn't have been relegated. We were bottom because McCall couldn't buy a win. FACT.

McCall was financially backed by the board in 2 transfer windows and probably had a bigger budget than either of the Championship clubs we faced. This was a relatively easy League Cup group yet McCall could manage just one win in 4. A 25% win rate which is below even his mediocre average.

The start to the league was not difficult if we had any asperations of challenging. 3 of the games have been against part-time clubs. 

If you know how the season would have progressed after the cancelation, please tell me next weeks lottery numbers.. Your argument is completely spurious.

Why do lovers of golden bollocks always selectively pick & choose their line of argument,  without any sense of  the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth. Get real.

I was happy when McCall replaced Caldwell. Until January window he did better with Caldwell's duds. Since January it has been very disappointing to say the least. Whether you are on McCall's side or against you will use whatever stats suit your argument. But no one can say for sure what would have happened if the season would have been played to the end of the 36 games. Imo we are where we are for a mixture of reasons. We were bottom of the league at the time. But the season was ended prematurely and there was other ways to end the season without relegating teams and still promoting teams as well. Again imo every team voted in self interest, but these points were covered on numerous times between last season ending and this season beginning. 

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

It's difficult but not impossible as some of the doomsday scenarios punted on here.  Sooner or later the tide will turn. Who predicted lambies back to back promotions, our superb team under McNamara/Archibald and getting top 6? Virtually no one. I'd love us to be far more stable thats for sure but I'd find it difficult to continually support the club where I didnt imagine better days. 

I’m not saying it’s impossible, but the longer we are in the 3rd tier of Scottish football the harder it is. 
We have only ever spent 2 spells (prior to now) in the 3rd tier, 3 seasons ended by Lambie returning and 1 season going up on playoff Vs Peterhead.

We are in a truly new situation now, the club is in massive transition (maybe vacuum) of the park, running through COVID as a society (with all the financial implications) and on the park we still don’t seem to have bottomed out.  We effectively need to turn all three around over next few months. 

4 hours ago, McCall Out said:

Aye we were, what fxckin planet are you on? We had a game in hand at home which if won took us 2 points clear , we were totally shafted by corrupt SPFL hierarchy and there minions 

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Agree 100% but we need someone to break that circle like we did as you say with Lambie and latterly when we gave Jackie  Mac and Simon Donnelly a chance .

Its not working just now , I would put a couple of names forward Darren Young and Stephen Craigen to get the Academy going .

You find the money to pay them and I’m sure the club would consider their employment.

1 hour ago, sandbank boy said:

You find the money to pay them and I’m sure the club would consider their employment.

Lose the next couple of games and there will be no choice, in my opinion the Club overall needs a reset , give the fans some hope or even let us know what the plan is for the future.

At the same juncture when Hamilton were down to the 3 tier they were blooding players like McCarthy , McCarthur and Easton, tell me where our future is coming from ?

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Lose the next couple of games and there will be no choice, in my opinion the Club overall needs a reset , give the fans some hope or even let us know what the plan is for the future.

At the same juncture when Hamilton were down to the 3 tier they were blooding players like McCarthy , McCarthur and Easton, tell me where our future is coming from ?

This is the bigger concern, we’ve had an academy for years now yet what has came through is minimal. Especially being down the leagues it’s easier to break young players into the first team, but very few are there

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

This is the bigger concern, we’ve had an academy for years now yet what has came through is minimal. Especially being down the leagues it’s easier to break young players into the first team, but very few are there

Academy is a complete waste of money with only reason it exists is to keep people in employment, We should be targeting the Old Firm and likes of Aberdeen for 18 and 19 year olds they don’t want , Greg Watson is a fine example of what you can get in that type of market 

not all these boys will be kept at old firm or Aberdeen etc , for me it’s poor management and scouting  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobbyhouston said:

Aye we were, what fxckin planet are you on? We had a game in hand at home which if won took us 2 points clear , we were totally shafted by corrupt SPFL hierarchy and there minions 

We were relegated because we were bottom of the league. If we hadn't been bottom, we wouldn't have been relegated. I'm on planet reality, not planet chip on my shoulder.

Why were we bottom of the league ? Because of McCall's atrocious record, despite having been financially backed by the board. It is 100% McCall's fault that we are where we are.

For the record, 11 wins in 35 games - 31.43% win ratio

This season, 2 wins in 8 games - 25% win ratio. He is not going to turn this around. It's getting worse.

Question .... Does anyone think that McCall is the right man for the job ?

• Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 2:02 AM, douglas clark said:

If I won the lottery, I would give the club over to  a  hand picked bunch of lawyers and accountants whose only aim would be get us back to the top level of Scottish Football.

That boat has sailed. TBC will be working under legal guidance from Colin Weir’s estate and most likely can only sell to a fan ownership group. I doubt if even Jeff Bezos would be able to buy the club under the current circumstances 

On 11/14/2020 at 8:42 PM, Auld Jag said:

I know we failed to qualify, but i think  we did alright. We lost at St.Mirren because we had a terrible 10minutes near the end of the game. We drew with 2 championship teams and beat them on penalties and we beat the team from league 2. Imo the next 6 games that take us to the end of the year are now vital. 3 At home and 3 away, we really need to win our home games and at least get a minimum of a point from each of the away games. I agree we have not played great but we need to find a way to win games even if we are not playing well. We have a horrendous injury list at the moment, but we need to pick up points to keep us in contact with the teams at the top.

Seriously, you expect us to win 4 of our next 6, or go unbeaten in 6 ? Have you seen our results this year ?

There wasn't a lot to learn from the Morton game given the limited personal available.

On the positive its a clean sheet and the passing in the first half looked quick quick and clever. Also I personally thought Foster looked better at left back than Penrice has. Wright in goals looks a more confident and commanding keeper than Sneddon. We've out performed our seeding and league position in our league cup group.

Negatives - another injury. Spittal was fairly integral to the quick short passing game we were playing in the first half and when he went off we lost that part of our game. No striker made us pretty toothless. Not qualifying for the next round is a financial miss.

Overall I think we are improving defensively but its not quite clicking up front. We really need the pace of Rudden to go with the physicality of Graham. Anyone know what the latest is on Rudden, Mckenna, O'Ware and Sneddon?

I don't know how pacy Rudden was to start with, but constant injuries are likely to have an adverse effect on his pace. Doubt I have to remind anyone but Graham is not a prolific goalscorer. His hold up and knock down play has mostly compensated for that. Doesn't appear to be any evidence of advancing midfielders taking advantage of Graham's strengths. The likes of Murray, Lyons and Gordon have all scored a fair amount at or above our current level. 

On 11/15/2020 at 8:46 AM, East Kent Jag II said:

For me,  the one gamble that's failed this year is taking on a lot of potentially skillful players prone to or recovering from injury.   It may be as was posted earlier that  players wouldn't come to the club in this division,  but I'm not in a position to know how true that is.  Either way,  it hasn't worked.

I don’t know the injury history of the players we signed - have you got any details?

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t know the injury history of the players we signed - have you got any details?

Tam O'Ware  ankle bone growth at Morton. Zak Rudden was also injured before joining us. Ciaran McKenna had a knee injury at Hamilton.  I seem to recollect Blair Spittal was injured also.

Edited by East Kent Jag II

9 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Seriously, you expect us to win 4 of our next 6, or go unbeaten in 6 ? Have you seen our results this year ?

Yes i have seen both our results and some games this year. Not sure it is expect or more in hope, but the results up to the end of the year will probably tell us where we stand. I know you were/are not a fan of our manager, but when he came back i was happy, now i am not so sure. As i say see where we are come the end of this year.

55 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Tam O'Ware  ankle bone growth at Morton. Zak Rudden was also injured before joining us. Ciaran McKenna had a knee injury at Hamilton.  I seem to recollect Blair Spittal was injured also.

Not really detracting from your point, O’Ware and Rudden were from the previous season. It raises the question whether it is policy at Firhill to go for riskier possibly cheaper players.

14 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Not really detracting from your point, O’Ware and Rudden were from the previous season. It raises the question whether it is policy at Firhill to go for riskier possibly cheaper players.

You're correct, LJ.  Perhaps I'm pushing it a bit,  but O'Ware signed a new contract in January this year,  and is a Jag till 2022.