Partick Thistle v East Fife - Saturday 21st November

redandyellowallover

This game already falls into the "must win" category if we have any hope of finishing nearer the top of the table. This is the first in a run of games that we really should be winning, so hopefully we can get the points and start to build a bit of momentum.

Not sure where we are with injuries and which players are back and available for selection.

Rhys Breen’s now injured too, leaving only 1 center back fit.

I make that 10 injured now

Jamie Sneddon and Luke Scullion 

Breen , O’Ware, Mckenna and Rodden

Docherty Rudden and Spittal

Add to that Glass who got injured whilst with us

Something is wrong with training methods, duration or where we train

Partick Thistle vs. East Fife: a "must win" game.

That description would be totally unfathomable/ unimaginable to tens of thousands of Jags supporters (including a fair number of my friends and family) who are no longer with us. To be fair, I remember being especially nervous about East Fife in season 1970-71, but Jesus, that was half a century ago! And also, the team we had then could be counted on to deliver the required result most of the time. (And EF continued to be a decent team for a season or two.)

Too regularly in recent years, matches against teams like East Fife,  Stranraer, and Peterhead, and even Clyde have become "must win" matches, even the norm, where on many (if not most) occasions we simply don't win, bottle it, or don't even turn up. Most of the time since the 80s we've been a pretty gutless team (don't get me started on the abject failures to get even the occasional win against you know who since the 90s; probably the worst record of any full-time team in Scotland).

What a truly sad shadow we've become of what we used to be. Yes, the McNamara/Archie squad gave us some (false?) hope of being a relatively big player again, but viewed from the perspective of the past 40 years or so, that team looks more and more like a flash in the pan.

Dammit, I need another Kirin Super Dry.....  and maybe I'll read another chapter of the Chaplain's book (mildly amusing so far, and recommended). In fact, I wonder if his flock includes fans.....

Ah the olde must win game cliche. If I had a pound for every occasion this has been stated for PTFC games I would be a rich man indeed. Whatever the result is on Saturday it's certainly not a must win game. I hope we win it but win, lose or draw it wont determine if we challenge for promotion or fight relegation. 

5 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Rhys Breen’s now injured too, leaving only 1 center back fit.

I make that 10 injured now

Jamie Sneddon and Luke Scullion 

Breen , O’Ware, Mckenna and Rodden

Docherty Rudden and Spittal

Add to that Glass who got injured whilst with us

Something is wrong with training methods, duration or where we train

I think Docherty was suspended  for last weeks game. As far as i know he is not injured, we still have training tomorrow though.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

I suppose you could say the team picks it self. Not because they have been playing great, but if you are fit you will be in the team.

Walk past Firhill on Saturday morning and you may find yourself in the squad, be careful though your likely to get injured and miss your work on Monday 

• Haha 2