Partick Thistle v East Fife - Saturday 21st November

redandyellowallover

27 minutes ago, laukat said:

Don't think east fife had a shot worthy of the name never mind one on target. They looked like the poorest team we have played so far.

Thought Wright's quick throw to Cardle made the penalty. Nice to see a goalkeeper that can spot an opportunity to attack.

Niang looked nervous but did well in a unfamiliar role and in general the back 4 looked comfortable.

Fosters looks a much better leftback than Penrice and was beginning to overlap quite well late in the game. I think that may be the last we see of Penrice at leftback unless injuries and suspensions force Foster out.

Still need some pace in attack alongside Graham but an encouraging performance that hopefully starts to build confidence.

First 5 minutes of second half I think east fife did come close to scoring - seem to uncomfortably richochet about in our 18 yard box but thankfully didn’t. 
good performance and another clean sheet will hopefully be further confidence to defence and keeper

wright has been a good acquisition 

You can only beat what's in front of you. That first half was the best 45 minutes we have played in a few years. It was complete dominance from us and we created numerous openings and chances. Starting on the front foot and stamping our mark on the game from the first whistle. That's what we should be aiming to produce every week, regardless if we are at home or not. 

However, our final ball was awful all game. Numerous promising positions we get into are thrown away due to a lack of quality and composure. Williamson being the main culprit. Today was a really great opportunity to claw back on the goal difference too. We should have had, at the very least four goals today. Yet again, we pass up great chances. This has been the only consistent part of our game all season. 

Finally our first clean sheet in the league this season. Sena had one or two shaky moments on the ball but overall I was impressed with his aggression and he adapted as well as you could have hoped. 

We need to build on these two clean sheets in a row now.

Edited by northernsoul

36 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Looked like the team moved the ball about a bit quicker and generally appeared quite sharp. Maybe a bit of a concern we rely on Graham so much but then again that's understandable as we do have a few players out.

btw Looked to me the foul on Bannigan was a straight red.

Agree, i thought Bannigan was going to be added to the injury list after that tackle. Thought our penalty was soft and the ref let a couple of worse challenges in the box that could have been pens for Thistle go. Also thought East Fife could have got an early pen when the ref gave a foul outside the box, but i thought it was in the box. Overall good all round team performance, lets hope this is the start of a run of positive results we have been waiting for.

A solid performance against mediocre opposition.   In truth,  we should have had the game wrapped up by half time, given our total dominance in the first half, but we let them back into the game at the start of the second half.    This time we got away with it, but another day,  could have ended up not getting 3 points. 

I share LIB's concern that we're too reliant on Graham for goals.  We need to find more goals throughout the team, and atm it's not clear where they'll come from.

It would be nice not to  have to watch a second half on the edge of my seat!!

We have so many injuries it's difficult to reach any conclusions about the quality of the squad other than on paper it's looks strong!  We need to go game to game at the moment. So today was generally a good performance and result. 

Next week though we are away to a 'form' team - Montrose! Hope we can start on front foot and take control of the game. If we do we will win! 

Two things worry me and are things we share with the National Squad:

- we don't travel well, and

- we don't score enough goals. 

If we are going to win this league both will need to be resolved! 

10 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

We have so many injuries it's difficult to reach any conclusions about the quality of the squad other than on paper it's looks strong!  We need to go game to game at the moment. So today was generally a good performance and result. 

Next week though we are away to a 'form' team - Montrose! Hope we can start on front foot and take control of the game. If we do we will win! 

Two things worry me and are things we share with the National Squad:

- we don't travel well, and

- we don't score enough goals. 

If we are going to win this league both will need to be resolved! 

they lost 3-2 at Clyde today, so not exactly a form team. We must win though

Went to bed at 1-0.

Got up this morning, fully prepared to see a final score of 1-1, or worse.

Well done to the squad. Sounds like several very good individual performances too.

ETA: From the highlights: some passaged of terrific play by us. Cardle and Williamson created havoc among the East Fife defenders, especially in the first half. Bannigan (whom I've been very critical of) and Doherty were buzzing around to good effect, and Penrice made some excellent moves. Graham's second goal was delightful chip on the run.

I've sometimes trashed the Jagzone highlights, but those from yesterday's match were very good, with a good range of camera shots and angles. 

I like the big banner in the main stand behind the dug-outs. Whose is it?

And the JL stand looked pretty good with its banners and cut-outs (mine included). I counted 116 cut-outs; it would be good to see a lot more.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Bigger test next week away against a capable Montrose team who were unlucky against Clyde yesterday( Goodwillie being the difference).Would go with the same starting 11(can’t see any alternative given out injury list ) and keep the momentum going .

Do we know if anyone else currently out injured  is likely to be back on the bench before next Saturday ?

18 hours ago, northernsoul said:

You can only beat what's in front of you. That first half was the best 45 minutes we have played in a few years. It was complete dominance from us and we created numerous openings and chances. Starting on the front foot and stamping our mark on the game from the first whistle. That's what we should be aiming to produce every week, regardless if we are at home or not. 

However, our final ball was awful all game. Numerous promising positions we get into are thrown away due to a lack of quality and composure. Williamson being the main culprit. Today was a really great opportunity to claw back on the goal difference too. We should have had, at the very least four goals today. Yet again, we pass up great chances. This has been the only consistent part of our game all season. 

Finally our first clean sheet in the league this season. Sena had one or two shaky moments on the ball but overall I was impressed with his aggression and he adapted as well as you could have hoped. 

I think that's a bit harsh on Williamson when both forwards and midfielders were often doing their best to avoid the centre of the penalty box. It's tough to train all week to play crosses in to where the target man and runners should be, only to find nobody's there. Of course, a cutback to tempt a shot would be advisable then, but Scottish football's mantra of "Get to the byeline and whip it in" doesn't really suit playing actual FOOTball - it's more a heading game. :head_ball:

18 hours ago, northernsoul said:

utter dug shite that post , Williamson gives us an attacking threat along with his athleticism that majority of our players don’t, he’s no Cafu but Jesus no idea what your watching 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fearchar said:

I think that's a bit harsh on Williamson when both forwards and midfielders were often doing their best to avoid the centre of the penalty box. It's tough to train all week to play crosses in to where the target man and runners should be, only to find nobody's there. Of course, a cutback to tempt a shot would be advisable then, but Scottish football's mantra of "Get to the byeline and whip it in" doesn't really suit playing actual FOOTball - it's more a heading game. :head_ball:

I'm not insinuating he had a bad game. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't alone but he had more opportunities than most, due to his positive running.  Good on the big man for doing so. I don't think we've seen enough of that in his time here but when it counted, the majority of his deliveries were poor.  Williamson offers probably our most direct running threat in the team. The more our attack is built around that then the more pressure that is put on him to deliver an end product.  I'm not trying to find faults in what was probably our best home performance in a long, long time but we need to be more clinical if we want to get out of this league. There is huge pressure on this squad to deliver this season.

Edited by northernsoul