Partick Thistle v Dumbarton - Saturday 5th December

redandyellowallover

1 hour ago, p12tfc said:

Any professional footballer should be able to hit put the ball over half way up the goal every time. If it’s between halfway up and the bar you will score virtually every time. Why players still go low amazes me. Also not enough players go down the middle

The problem is that if a player hits it straight down the middle and the keeper stops it, folk would be say it's the worst penalty the've seen in years, all he had to do was place it in a corner, etc.

Basically, most players aren't accurate or precise enough to hit it right every time, some keepers are better than others at anticipating/guessing, and keepers also get lucky at times. 

I'd like to know which Thistle keeper holds the best record for percentage of penalties saved.

9 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

The problem is that if a player hits it straight down the middle and the keeper stops it, folk would be say it's the worst penalty the've seen in years, all he had to do was place it in a corner, etc.

Basically, most players aren't accurate or precise enough to hit it right every time, some keepers are better than others at anticipating/guessing, and keepers also get lucky at times. 

I'd like to know which Thistle keeper holds the best record for percentage of penalties saved.

Seven keepers have a 100% record but they faced only 7 kicks in doing so. In context of a meaningful number of kicks faced Andy Murdoch (29%), Kenny Arthur (28%), Bobby Johnstone (27%), Johnny Tuffey, Nicky Walker and Willie Campbell (all 25%) lead the way. Bobby Johnstone’s feat of saving 5 consecutive penalties he faced (October 1937 to February 1938) was a noteworthy achievement. 

In contrast, Billy Ritchie with no saves from 10 kicks has the worst record. Curiously, another ex-Rangers keeper George Niven (a fine keeper) had only 1 save from 28. 1 save from 38 for this ex-Ibrox duo is far from impressive. Perhaps they didn’t get enough practice when playing for Rangers! Ironically Richie saved a penalty against his old club on 1/1/1970 but the referee ordered a re-take (encroachment). It was shot wide.

A notable achievement by reserve keeper Robert McFarlane deserves a mention. The “Dumfries and Galloway Standard” reported that in a match against Kilmarnock reserves at Rugby Park on 27/10/1945 the referee ordered a penalty to be re-taken 6 times because he deemed that McFarlane had moved too soon. He saved the 7th attempt with a “legitimate” save. This relatively obscure report does not mention if the first 6 kicks were saved but it must be assumed that the referee would not have continued to penalise the opposition if they had already found the net. The event is confirmed by a reply in a readers’ letters column in the “Daily Mail” 22/1/1992. It suggested Kilmarnock hold the record for the number of re-taken penalty kicks. Difficult to disagree with that! The Kilmarnock “taker” was left-half Whyte.

• Like 4

Re penalties nobody's mentioned whether the actually goalie you're facing would/should come into the decision making. For instance (and I'm taking it to the extremes a tad) we had yon big Stuckmann fella a few seasons ago. I reckon the only ball hit on target he could stop would be one hit down the middle. He struggled big time to get down low for any shot so a penalty kicked low to either side would easily beat him. At the other end of the spectrum you get agile quick reflex keepers who are not that physically imposing. A kick down the middle might be the better option with them.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

Seven keepers have a 100% record but they faced only 7 kicks in doing so. In context of a meaningful number of kicks faced Andy Murdoch (29%), Kenny Arthur (28%), Bobby Johnstone (27%), Johnny Tuffey, Nicky Walker and Willie Campbell (all 25%) lead the way. Bobby Johnstone’s feat of saving 5 consecutive penalties he faced (October 1937 to February 1938) was a noteworthy achievement. 

In contrast, Billy Ritchie with no saves from 10 kicks has the worst record. Curiously, another ex-Rangers keeper George Niven (a fine keeper) had only 1 save from 28. 1 save from 38 for this ex-Ibrox duo is far from impressive. Perhaps they didn’t get enough practice when playing for Rangers! Ironically Richie saved a penalty against his old club on 1/1/1970 but the referee ordered a re-take (encroachment). It was shot wide.

A notable achievement by reserve keeper Robert McFarlane deserves a mention. The “Dumfries and Galloway Standard” reported that in a match against Kilmarnock reserves at Rugby Park on 27/10/1945 the referee ordered a penalty to be re-taken 6 times because he deemed that McFarlane had moved too soon. He saved the 7th attempt with a “legitimate” save. This relatively obscure report does not mention if the first 6 kicks were saved but it must be assumed that the referee would not have continued to penalise the opposition if they had already found the net. The event is confirmed by a reply in a readers’ letters column in the “Daily Mail” 22/1/1992. It suggested Kilmarnock hold the record for the number of re-taken penalty kicks. Difficult to disagree with that! The Kilmarnock “taker” was left-half Whyte.

Great stuff, afk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

Thanks for this AKF.

I’ve been trying to get the facts of that story for a couple decades now.  I knew it was against Killie but was always led to believe that it was us who had to re-take the pen 6 times and that we eventually missed, which I must admit seemed to fit in with Thistle folklore.

Hats off to McFarlane, wonder what the possibility  of that happening today would be? What with VAR an’ all.

47 minutes ago, sandbank boy said:

Thanks for this AKF.

I’ve been trying to get the facts of that story for a couple decades now.  I knew it was against Killie but was always led to believe that it was us who had to re-take the pen 6 times and that we eventually missed, which I must admit seemed to fit in with Thistle folklore.

Hats off to McFarlane, wonder what the possibility  of that happening today would be? What with VAR an’ all.

He'd get booked for the first one and sent off for the second.

18 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

The lack of attention to the basics in Scottish football is appalling. Every player expected to shoot - essentially, all midfielders and forwards - should be practising at least twice a week, and probably more often, shooting into a goal which has most of the goal blocked, i.e. to score they have to put the ball accurately in the foot or two gap just inside the woodwork. Repeatedly, every practice session, from different distances and angles. After that we wouldn't be watching ridiculous numbers of shots with so few on target. 1 out  of 23, according to the stats published by the BBC - a disgrace. :angry2:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

I guess Roughie wasn’t great at penalties 

Sorry, my mistake.  Forgot to take off the seasons before penalties were introduced. Correct figures are 806 conceded and 6176 matches played. Roughly  7.7:1.  The longest spell without conceding a penalty is 62 matches (1926-27).

Norgethistle I think you are referring to penalties awarded. The longest spell without getting one is 164 matches (1895-96).