Forfar 4 Thistle 5 Saturday 12.....

Jimmy McD

2 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

5 clean sheets in a row   when was the last time we done this   ?????......Take the 3 points for today but we have got to be scoring more against part time teams..... 

Competitive matches only...

Only one other run of 5 clean sheets found ie, Feb/March 2012.

Tempting fate here but Thistle have never gone 6 consecutive competitive clean sheets BUT they once achieved 7 (Jan-Feb 1921).

26 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

It certainly gives a 'warmer' feeling seeing the Jags up near the top of the table than where we have been the  previous 3 seasons! 

Though we do need to score more goals! Is there a January window this season and if so who should we sign to score the goals? 

Think that’s a tricky one for McCall.. he needs to see how Rudden and Kouider-Aissa perform and he might not know that until well into January or later. But he can’t gamble on them firing on all cylinders and so needs to get at least one in. Whether there’s the money to do so who knows. Might be a loan signing or two? I would imagine he’ll be desperate to get Spittal for the rest of the season too. His focus this window will be on getting the team scoring more. Middle to back we look strong. 
just realised I didn’t name anyone, I’ve no idea! Over to more informed posters... Probably deserves a dedicated thread... 

26 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Competitive matches only...

Only one other run of 5 clean sheets found ie, Feb/March 2012.

Tempting fate here but Thistle have never gone 6 consecutive competitive clean sheets BUT they once achieved 7 (Jan-Feb 1921).

AFK, looking at the clean sheets record in the lists section (goal-clean sheet streaks) of the Archive, it shows that we had 5 consecutive clean sheets in league games twice. In 1968 ( Dundee United, Raith Rovers,  Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Hearts.) and 2013 (Hamilton,Airdrie,Dunfermline, Dumbarton and Hamilton again).

If Keiran Wright has a clean sheet next week against Peterhead,  he equals that record for league games.

The 7 competitive clean streaks in 1921 were against Airdrie, Hearts, Albion Rovers, Hibs twice (Scottish Cup ), Morton,  Hibs again Scottish Cup 2nd replay).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exiledjag said:

It certainly gives a 'warmer' feeling seeing the Jags up near the top of the table than where we have been the  previous 3 seasons! 

Though we do need to score more goals! Is there a January window this season and if so who should we sign to score the goals? 

Isn't Zlatan looking around for a challenge? :lol:

Well done to players for getting an important result.

though there wont be that much transfer activity we do need to address the goal scoring front.  For me getting Spittal tied up preferably on a long term contract and at least another striker even on loan is a must.

I don’t think Craig Wighton is getting much game time at Hearts and while usually I don’t think they would have loaned him to a league below given we do have an excellent relationship with the Jambos I would hope we are asking them for a favour.

if not then another who has given us a torrid time but not getting much game time either is Luke Donnelly at Arbroath 

no idea how feasible these are but if we don’t ask we would not get, and while I expect a few to say no we need Doolan he will score for fun here, the reality is that he has not scored for fun anywhere the last few seasons and I think we need to move on from him

The approach to the goalscoring problem needs to be more realistic. There's a reason that we cannot fill a bench at the moment.

Gordon scores goals, as do Lyons and Cardle. It's up to McCall to find a system that has them contributing along with Graham (who picked up another booking today - not good).

The reality is we don't have any money to go out and sign another striker. The only way that will/should be entertained is if Zak Rudden won't be fit beyond New Year. 

From Jagzone highlights: the first half didn't look as dire as it sounds from some of the comments on here yesterday. Some great moves by Thistle, and I thought that most of Williamson's crosses were good. Sena looks like he could become a great player, and Penrice is already too good for this level. Bannigan looking more like his younger self, and playing at a faster pace these days alongside Docherty, whose goal might well be followed by more to come.

All in all, a good performance, as they kept going at it despite not scoring in the first half.

5 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

The approach to the goalscoring problem needs to be more realistic. There's a reason that we cannot fill a bench at the moment.

Gordon scores goals, as do Lyons and Cardle. It's up to McCall to find a system that has them contributing along with Graham (who picked up another booking today - not good).

The reality is we don't have any money to go out and sign another striker. The only way that will/should be entertained is if Zak Rudden won't be fit beyond New Year. 

The concern for me and I guess most fans is we really don’t know if Zak will be fine in the new year or will he break down again.  Also really don’t know what is happening with salim either, I don’t think he has even been mentioned recently with regards to injury updates 

12 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

AFK, looking at the clean sheets record in the lists section (goal-clean sheet streaks) of the Archive, it shows that we had 5 consecutive clean sheets in league games twice. In 1968 ( Dundee United, Raith Rovers,  Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Hearts.) and 2013 (Hamilton,Airdrie,Dunfermline, Dumbarton and Hamilton again).

If Keiran Wright has a clean sheet next week against Peterhead,  he equals that record for league games.

The 7 competitive clean streaks in 1921 were against Airdrie, Hearts, Albion Rovers, Hibs twice (Scottish Cup ), Morton,  Hibs again Scottish Cup 2nd replay).

Correct EKJ.  I missed the 2013 batch.  Getting new glasses next week!  The 1968 "5" weren't consecutive league matches. There were two SC ties in there as well.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I don’t think Craig Wighton is getting much game time at Hearts and while usually I don’t think they would have loaned him to a league below given we do have an excellent relationship with the Jambos I would hope we are asking them for a favour.

Wighton didn't get off the bench yesterday but he's featured regularly enough for Hearts this season.

15 hours ago, elevenone said:

For the statto’s.  Forfar’s Stuart Malcolm was shown red card after full time.

He is the Forfar Athletic manager :lol:

A solid win and good to see the goals beginning to get spread about. About time Docherty stuck away one his chances and hopefully a confidence boost for him and Shea going forward.

A two goal win a significant as nearly if not all winners of this league have scored an average of two goals or more per game. We're playing catch up on that front and we've dropped crucial points already due to a paucity in front of goal.

as said the defence and central midfield are as good as any in this league. We now move  onto being more creative in the final third hopefully.

We look pretty organised and disciplined and the players are showing a bit more charcter. Bring on the fishermen!

14 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

He certainly does EKJ. What's more, Kenny Campbell / Rab Bernard shared the 1921 run so Kieran actually equalled a goalie club-record yesterday, and now has a chance to make a wonderful bit of history for himself next week:

- In competitive action, Kieran Wright now sits alongside Kenny Campbell (1921) and Scott Fox (2013) with the all-time greatest run of 5 consecutive clean-sheets. No Thistle 'keeper has ever done the six-in-a-row…

It's a bumper Stats Watch this week!   :detective:

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/match-2020-12-12

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

From Jagzone highlights: the first half didn't look as dire as it sounds from some of the comments on here yesterday. Some great moves by Thistle, and I thought that most of Williamson's crosses were good. Sena looks like he could become a great player, and Penrice is already too good for this level. Bannigan looking more like his younger self, and playing at a faster pace these days alongside Docherty, whose goal might well be followed by more to come.

All in all, a good performance, as they kept going at it despite not scoring in the first half.

That's edited highlights for you. I watched the full game replay and can confirm the 1st half was dire.

Thankfully the 2nd half was a big improvement. Mainly because Penrice really came onto a game. His delivery for the opener was spot on. Bannigan and Doherty were in command throughout and the defence is comfortable against a team as limited as Forfar. 

The main plus points from yesterday were not sitting back after going ahead (may have had something to do with the standard of opposition). Sena continuing to look the part in defence. And Docherty finally demonstrating he knows how to hit the old onion sack. 

• Like 1