Penalty Kicks Thread

Jaggernaut

We have had issues with penalties going back as far as I can remember.

Celtic park in the League Cup earlier in the century (2003/4?) we had three chances to put Celtic out but missed them all.

Cowdenbeath in the cup 92/93 we ended up getting beat but Don McVicar (RIP) had a penalty saved them broke the keeper's arm going in for the rebound.

It was maybe inconsequential but Conor Sammon's half-arsed effort Vs Livingston in the Premiership relegation/ promotion play-off 2nd leg still grinds a few gears .

We didn't get one (in the league)  for years when we were up in the Premiership. Then we got one when Mathias Pogba was felled vs Celtic and Stuart Bannigan tucked it away.

Did I make that last one up? 

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

We didn't get one (in the league)  for years when we were up in the Premiership. Then we got one when Mathias Pogba was felled vs Celtic and Stuart Bannigan tucked it away.

Was it not Sean Welsh that took the penalty? Again tho', a penalty v Celtic,  I could just have dreamt that :)

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

We have had issues with penalties going back as far as I can remember.

Celtic park in the League Cup earlier in the century (2003/4?) we had three chances to put Celtic out but missed them all.

Cowdenbeath in the cup 92/93 we ended up getting beat but Don McVicar (RIP) had a penalty saved them broke the keeper's arm going in for the rebound.

It was maybe inconsequential but Conor Sammon's half-arsed effort Vs Livingston in the Premiership relegation/ promotion play-off 2nd leg still grinds a few gears .

That match at Porkheid left me depressed for weeks. Simon Donnelly put one past the post against one of the two erse cheeks, but I don't remember which one.

40 minutes ago, michael m said:

On a similar theme - if my memory is correct Jered Stirling never missed one for us and I’m convinced no goalie even got a touch on any of them.  AFK might confirm the number of successful kicks - I think it might have been 13

Correct MM.  Stirling took 13 penalties and converted them all. No record of anyone with 100% conversion rate taking more than 13 so he is the all-time record holder.

Jimmy Davidson took most for Thistle (34) and converted 29 of them (85%).

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

Correct MM.  Stirling took 13 penalties and converted them all. No record of anyone with 100% conversion rate taking more than 13 so he is the all-time record holder.

Jimmy Davidson took most for Thistle (34) and converted 29 of them (85%).

Yes, I do remember Jered Stirling. Being awarded a penalty when he was playing for us was as good as a goal. Never in doubt. 

I think that Jered also scored a free kick against his half namesakes Stirling Albion in a 9 man fightback from 2 goals down. Did he ever score for us from open play?

Strangely, I also have memory of Jimmy Boyle (was that his name-certainly an ex-Airdrie signing of John McVeigh) scoring a penalty (or possibly a rebound from his own penalty) against St Mirren in another 2 goal fightback (a common story in that Save the Jags period). So why was Jered not taking that penalty? Injured? Dropped? Substituted?

5 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Yes, I do remember Jered Stirling. Being awarded a penalty when he was playing for us was as good as a goal. Never in doubt. 

I think that Jered also scored a free kick against his half namesakes Stirling Albion in a 9 man fightback from 2 goals down. Did he ever score for us from open play?

Strangely, I also have memory of Jimmy Boyle (was that his name-certainly an ex-Airdrie signing of John McVeigh) scoring a penalty (or possibly a rebound from his own penalty) against St Mirren in another 2 goal fightback (a common story in that Save the Jags period). So why was Jered not taking that penalty? Injured? Dropped? Substituted?

PS Partly answering my own question. Archive tells me that these 2-2 draws were in successive weeks and scorers were 1) Stirling & Boyle and 2) Archie & Boyle.

The same day in the year (ie 13th December 1997) section in the archive tells me that Boyle missed a penalty against Raith Rovers a few weeks later. Not sure what happened to Stirling. He had certainly returned to the team and scoring penalties later in the season.

14 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

In the remarkable fightback against Stirling, it was Stirling that pulled the first goal back. Boyle took the late penalty which was saved but Boyle managed to knock in the rebound. Makes you wonder why Stirling didn't take the penalty if he was so good at them. Possibly subbed by that stage. 

5 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

In the remarkable fightback against Stirling, it was Stirling that pulled the first goal back. Boyle took the late penalty which was saved but Boyle managed to knock in the rebound. Makes you wonder why Stirling didn't take the penalty if he was so good at them. Possibly subbed by that stage. 

Kenny Arthur's debut as well I think in that game.

2 hours ago, milhouse said:

We were successful in - probably - the most important shootout in our history - at Peterhead.

Aaah.

I knew there was a reason that I exempt Paul Ritchie from the list of absolutely useless or past-it wrecks that Thistle have signed this century (see Jim Hamilton, Paul Keenan, Steve Lovell, Steven McConalogue etc etc).

12 hours ago, CotterJag said:

My favourite penalty kick was by Chic Charnley v Meadowbank Thistle at the Commonwealth Stadium.

Terrible game but we won 1-0 from a pen that Chic took with the outside of his foot.

Pretty sure that's how it went in any case.

seem to remember sandy brown scoring an absolute belter in off the cross bar against league champions dundee in season 61-62. 

33 minutes ago, robphil said:

seem to remember sandy brown scoring an absolute belter in off the cross bar against league champions dundee in season 61-62. 

Actually think that could've been the 62-63 season. Not meaning to be pernickety. It's just the first penalty I can mind seeing live was Eric Caldow's v England (Hampden '62). Taking a penalty with over 130000 watching must be some experience.