Thistle v Peterhead 19/12/2020

East Kent Jag II

8 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Poor poor fare indeed. Blew a chance to put some pressure on Falkirk.  Peterhead had one chance and scored. They weren't the better team but they won. End of story. 

Disagree. They out fought and out thought us, so they deserved the points! We were shocking in that second half, clueless. They didn’t need to chase the game.

PAST

Said on page 2 of this thread all I wanted to say about this game. 

PRESENT

As far as today is concerned the other two teams I wanted to win did so (the because in brackets) 

Rangers beat Motherwell (anything to stop that Celtic winning 10 in a row - as this was the reason the league was called and we were demoted) 

Hamilton beat Ross County  (I want Les Gray, Joint Chair of Accies and a Jag, to be our next Chair/CEO - he and Hamilton supported us through last summer and he comes across as a very able and professional individual; I am convinced he would know what needs to be done at Firhill; + I want RC/ Roy take your medicine Mc Gregor, relegated)

FUTURE

What nearly everybody else has been saying - clear out from top to bottom starting with the appointment of Les Gray - but how can we achieve this? 

Based on what I've seen I don't think Peterhead are a better team than Airdrie, Montrose, Falkirk or Cove. I think they are on a par with East Fife, Dumbarton and Clyde with Forfar being the poorest team in the league.

The attitude and performance of of our team today was so poor today that it wouldn't have mattered who the opposition was. Peterheard won't get an easier 3 points all season.

That being said Peterhead did what they had to do and fair play to them for doing so.

1 minute ago, laukat said:

Can't think of a single player that gets pass marks. I expect McCall to read them the riot act.

Not really arguing but it looked to me we played far too formulaic.  Even if players were getting pass marks it certainly wouldn't have been for the variety of play on offer. I can't really blame certain players for being predictable. So even if they had played better, been more accurate etc, who's to say Peterhead wouldn't have still read the moves? The lack of variation in play (plans B & C if you prefer) was evident. Not sure then if McCall should be reading any riot act tonight when he's clearly (to me at least) part of today's problem.

55 minutes ago, Bobbyhouston said:

Sena would be first out at pass the parcel , passing atrocious and 1st touch, fxck more like 5th touch , all what’s wrong with our level , he’s absolutely pish that’s a fact 

Note to the panty wetters, don’t come on and defend Sena or Graham 

Surprised that you have singled out Sena for criticism. From back to front, the starting 11 were truly awful today.

Sena has just recently been given a start. A young footballer who has only played at this level. In front of him are players like Brannigan, Cardle & Graham. All three have performed at a higher level and all have captained Thistle. They are players who Sena should look up to. They were all shocking today and much more culpable than Sena. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not really arguing but it looked to me we played far too formulaic.  Even if players were getting pass marks it certainly wouldn't have been for the variety of play on offer. I can't really blame certain players for being predictable. So even if they had played better, been more accurate etc, who's to say Peterhead wouldn't have still read the moves? The lack of variation in play (plans B & C if you prefer) was evident. Not sure then if McCall should be reading any riot act tonight when he's clearly (to me at least) part of today's problem.

I don't disagree that our attacking plan is very predictable. i.e. Williamson overlaping run and then a cross to a non-existant target. With the players fit and available that attacking tactic has to a certain degree been forced upon us. I had hoped that today we would have started Gordon instead of Murray and later in the game seen Rudden for Gordon and Spittal for Cardle. I think that would have given us a different attacking play whilst not losing Williamson's overlapping runs. 

However we've got away with that in the last few weeks as in general our movement of the ball from the centre halfs to the midfield has been pretty sharp. Today even the passes betwen the centre halfs was poor. Sena in particular sent Brownlie scampering out towards our corner flag on a couple of occassions which delayed the play and allowed Peterhead to get their shape. Even Wright in goals made some poor kicks under no real pressure that slowed our movement of the ball.

Bannigan and Docherty have been pretty effective in central midfield but again either the first touch was slow, the pass was slightly behind or the reaction to a loose ball in mdifield was too slow. Docherty's slow reaction in the lead up to the Peterhead goal was the fatal error and entirely sympotmatic of the whole teams general slow speed of thought.

When we failed to score against Dumbarton you could put that down to a lack of attacking options and quality in and around the box. Today against a similar standard of opposition we didn't exert anywhere need the same amount of pressure mainly because we struggled to do the basics of football.

30 minutes ago, sandbank boy said:

Not surprised Brannigan was subbed. No incision from him today and too much opening the palms of his hands to ‘ask for the ball’ . To little purpose I thought.

Bannigan has done nothong for years and still gets contracts handed to him. All the jobs for the boys at this club has lead to us heading to be Glasgow's 4th team.

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

And there we have it lads. A manager who has a fulltime squad, with probably the biggest budget in the league and he has assembled an awful pool of players. A guy whonhas shot his bolt and was only interested in getting his pal Archibald back in a job.

An utter disgrace.

Can’t add to that. Going nowhere with this clown in charge

I actually thought they were one of the best teams I’ve seen this year though by no means world beaters.

They gave us absolutely nothing.  Their defenders were always one step ahead of our weak kneed attack.  

Graham looks old. He looks finished. Possibly a never has been. The big CH embarrassed him.

I thought Rudden, Lyons and Gordon looked slightly more energetic but the delivery to them was pathetic. Cardle has had a few good games but my God he was diabolical.

We had a few decent moves 1st half and if Penrice had scored as he should we’d probably have won.

Hopefully we can get back to mediocrity which would be sufficient for play off rather than the rank rotten which we were today.

20 minutes ago, laukat said:

I don't disagree that our attacking plan is very predictable. i.e. Williamson overlaping run and then a cross to a non-existant target. With the players fit and available that attacking tactic has to a certain degree been forced upon us. I had hoped that today we would have started Gordon instead of Murray and later in the game seen Rudden for Gordon and Spittal for Cardle. I think that would have given us a different attacking play whilst not losing Williamson's overlapping runs. 

However we've got away with that in the last few weeks as in general our movement of the ball from the centre halfs to the midfield has been pretty sharp. Today even the passes betwen the centre halfs was poor. Sena in particular sent Brownlie scampering out towards our corner flag on a couple of occassions which delayed the play and allowed Peterhead to get their shape. Even Wright in goals made some poor kicks under no real pressure that slowed our movement of the ball.

Bannigan and Docherty have been pretty effective in central midfield but again either the first touch was slow, the pass was slightly behind or the reaction to a loose ball in mdifield was too slow. Docherty's slow reaction in the lead up to the Peterhead goal was the fatal error and entirely sympotmatic of the whole teams general slow speed of thought.

When we failed to score against Dumbarton you could put that down to a lack of attacking options and quality in and around the box. Today against a similar standard of opposition we didn't exert anywhere need the same amount of pressure mainly because we struggled to do the basics of football.

Run out of likes,spot on assessment,its our total lack of energy that really annoys.

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

First half was disappointing, but showed some promise, Final pass/cross letting us down.

Was expecting a major improvement second half, but instead we actually got far worse. Even crossing the halfway line with reasonable control of the ball was beyond us. 

Slow, weak, ineffective, poor control, first touch several yards backwards, thus losing momentum etc...

Spot on.

2 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

McCall and that emasculated diddy Archie should just pack it in. To be 1/3 of the way through the season and the league already gone is a sackable offence in any other year. Club is a basket case. From boardroom to fans, the heads are buried in the sand. 

It's so sad. I have followed this club for decades and bought season ticket after season ticket. But if this club went to the wall in the next few months, I honestly don't think it would bother me as much as it should. And that's really, really sad. 

Unfortunately i suspect your not the only one,folks have put their hard earned money into our club and we have ended up with this shit.

Peterhead scored from our mistake and then as our play became more desperate in the second half they knew that they had us figured out. Never beaten them in a league game, apparently.

Don't think we have enough to win this league but would be very disappointed if we are not in a play off (which I think we could win, given the standard of Championship), and then McCall would leave, I think.

They are a bunch of girls blouses and majority of our fans accept this nonsense. Yay Weir gave us some useless kids who will never make the grade, a woman's team and allows us to pander to the fluffy snowflake world. The players and fans need a reality check and to grow a pair! We are going nowhere.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

If we are not in the championship this time next year, McCall should not be our manager. Of course after the latest announcements from the Scottish Government who knows how or when this season will end.

Aye it is the Scottish Governments fault! Wake up and smell the coffee