Thistle v Peterhead 19/12/2020

East Kent Jag II

28 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Aye it is the Scottish Governments fault! Wake up and smell the coffee

I am not blaming the SG. I am saying if we end up the way we did last March with football being ended prematurely we don't know how the league's will be decided. Just because it was decided one way last year, does not mean it will be decided the same way again, as we are in the hands of the SPFL. If you read again i say if we are not in the championship this time next year McCall should not be our manager. I think that makes it clear who i am blaming and it is not the SG.

Edited by Auld Jag

As football teams go we are what would be known as "the wee funny comic relief" of football.  A team with no serious ambition.  I read further back the phrase "jobs for the boys" this is the understatement to beat all understatements. How has it taken so long for those to finally realise Bannigan is only a legend in his own agents mind, I raised this issue almost six, yes 6 years ago. Surely for such a gifted individual as some would have us believe, Bannigan would be our saviour............alas No. THIS RESULT IS UNACCEPTABLE there are to many SANDDANCES & COMIC SINGERS at Firhill...........As for Archibald, he couldn`t spot football talent if he came home and found Pele in bed with his wife. At this rate thistle will go out of existence within the next five year. UNACCEPTABLE...................................................!

We have somehow ended up back in the Dick Campbell era. I’m still struggling to believe it, but that’s where we are. Routinely losing to pub teams like Peterhead, Clyde and Cove.

To go from where we were at the end of 2016/17 on and off and off the park, to where we are now is staggering, even by Thistle standards. We finished in the top half of the Premiership, we were bringing through some promising young talent, we had no debt or financial worries to speak of and a new training ground was imminent. For once in my almost thirty years of following Thistle, we were in serious danger of becoming an established and respected top flight outfit - a model club for our size almost! Clubs who are/were traditionally smaller than us such as County, Inverness, Livi and St Johnstone had managed to win trophies, compete in Europe and spend more than a few seasons in the top flight, so why not us?

I really fear for our future now. During the ‘Save the Jags’ era the support and the club were galvanised by the existential threat to our club and we had a healthy support backing us every week and a large, latent support ready to turn out when the occasion suited. In 2005/06, we were ridiculously lucky to scrape through the play-offs having finished a disgraceful fourth.

Now? The club was haemorrhaging fans of even before the pandemic hit because of our rapid decline since 2017 and the support has become featured owing to the internal politics which have dogged our club following numerous changes in ownership.

We’re in this horrendous division at the worst possible time. The pandemic will undoubtedly have had a huge effect on our finances and with the rise of new ‘ambitious’ clubs like Cove and a Queens Park, it will only be harder for us to get out of this division the longer we stay here.

Unless our fortunes change drastically, we’re well on our way to becoming the new Clyde or Airdrie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

They are a bunch of girls blouses and majority of our fans accept this nonsense. Yay Weir gave us some useless kids who will never make the grade, a woman's team and allows us to pander to the fluffy snowflake world. The players and fans need a reality check and to grow a pair! We are going nowhere.

so how do we resolve the problems? You're good at having a go but do you know the answers?

47 minutes ago, sabbath said:

As football teams go we are what would be known as "the wee funny comic relief" of football.  A team with no serious ambition.  I read further back the phrase "jobs for the boys" this is the understatement to beat all understatements. How has it taken so long for those to finally realise Bannigan is only a legend in his own agents mind, I raised this issue almost six, yes 6 years ago. Surely for such a gifted individual as some would have us believe, Bannigan would be our saviour............alas No. THIS RESULT IS UNACCEPTABLE there are to many SANDDANCES & COMIC SINGERS at Firhill...........As for Archibald, he couldn`t spot football talent if he came home and found Pele in bed with his wife. At this rate thistle will go out of existence within the next five year. UNACCEPTABLE...................................................!

Most of us have known that Bannigan was good until his injury and would have left if it hadn't happened. He's been poor to crap ever since. I'll ask you the same as I asked Pinhead, what's your answer to our problems?

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

They are a bunch of girls blouses and majority of our fans accept this nonsense. Yay Weir gave us some useless kids who will never make the grade, a woman's team and allows us to pander to the fluffy snowflake world. The players and fans need a reality check and to grow a pair! We are going nowhere.

What makes you think the majority of fans accept this nonsense? Most fans are probably as pissed off as you are watching the shite we've had to put up with the for the last 3 or 4 years, but what are we supposed to do about it? Stop supporting the club? Go & watch some other team that's doing better than Thistle? All we can do is voice our unhappiness if we're allowed in the stadium or else post stuff on forums like this. Apart from that there's sod all we can do about it. It's our club, we chose to support it through thick & thin, more thin than thick. The alternative is walk away

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jaggy said:

Most of us have known that Bannigan was good until his injury and would have left if it hadn't happened. He's been poor to crap ever since. I'll ask you the same as I asked Pinhead, what's your answer to our problems?

The problem is, McCall's long term plan includes Banzo. He's another that should be joining the legends at East Kilbride. Anyone can play in the middle of the park and play a square pass, yet sometimes he even makes that look difficult. The backbone of our team is the same injury prone failures of the past. He keeps harping on about how excited he is about Rudden. He's never made any impact at all after approaching a year. He's only made cameo appearances in about half a dozen games, in a year. Lucky if he's played a combined total of 2 hours. Some job if you can get it. Ive done more work before my first tea break this morning than he has done in a year. That is only one example of the 'It will be alright on the night' attitude hoping that they will eventually come good, by such time we are adrift in the League and now closer to the bottom than we are the top. Firhill for easy money

Edited by MonehJags

Again, I find myself asking just what advantages there are for us to be paying full-time salaries when we lose to part-time teams just as often as we win against them. Individually, do the players look better than than the opposition? Are they stronger, or fitter? Are they more skilled? Do they defend better, or score more goals as a result of their full-time training and status?

I always remember in Des McKeown's book he argued that many part-time players will do their utmost to match full-time players when they train a couple of evening a week, because they're playing for the love of the game and striving to show that they're just as good. 

Any team from the Premiership would probably win easily against the Peterheads, Coves, Clydes, Dumbartons of this league 9 times out of 10, whereas we clearly struggle, time and time again. Is it because our players are in fact no better than part-time opponents? Is it tactics? Training is supposed to be "great" at Firhill, so if that's true then why does  it translate to garbage during so many matches?

5 hours ago, jaggy said:

so how do we resolve the problems? You're good at having a go but do you know the answers?

Options on what we can do short term are limited, but we can change the manager and get some new thinking as the current plan is not working. We were told finances were OK before the £150k hand out so there’s the cash to do it. Either that or give it to McCallto spunk on more injured players.

To turn your question round, if McCall is the answer, what question are you asking ?

14 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

Options on what we can do short term are limited, but we can change the manager and get some new thinking as the current plan is not working. We were told finances were OK before the £150k hand out so there’s the cash to do it. Either that or give it to McCallto spunk on more injured players.

To turn your question round, if McCall is the answer, what question are you asking ?

The hand out by the Government has a condition that it cant be spent on transfers.

Ross County pumped their manager yesterday, no room for sentiment there. If it was here at Partick Thistle, there would be guys on here saying,  after all he's done, he's a legend, were giving him the bullet before Christmas, its a disgrace blah blah.  Again, if we had won at Parkhead, that would have given the manager at least another 2 year goodwill in the bank. There is the difference, and that is how to run a football club. No room for the old pals act up there.

3 hours ago, MonehJags said:

The problem is, McCall's long term plan includes Banzo. He's another that should be joining the legends at East Kilbride. Anyone can play in the middle of the park and play a square pass, yet sometimes he even makes that look difficult. The backbone of our team is the same injury prone failures of the past. He keeps harping on about how excited he is about Rudden. He's never made any impact at all after approaching a year. He's only made cameo appearances in about half a dozen games, in a year. Lucky if he's played a combined total of 2 hours. Some job if you can get it. Ive done more work before my first tea break this morning than he has done in a year. That is only one example of the 'It will be alright on the night' attitude hoping that they will eventually come good, by such time we are adrift in the League and now closer to the bottom than we are the top. Firhill for easy money

Agree with all of this. It's all worryingly familiar and sounds a bit like Archie's "When we get our injured players back" comments the year we were relegated from the Premier. 

Good teams are greater than the some of their parts. Think 2012/13 team - where are some of the mainstays of that team now? Our current team is not a good team - there are individual players who look good in theory, but just don't add up to much. There is something fundamentally wrong, when a team consistently struggles to score - it is always at risk of being beaten for a whole host of reasons. Not sure what the answer up front is, but I know it's not Graham. Maybe Kouider-Aissa, maybe I'm clutching at straws...

2 hours ago, McCall Out said:

I was asking sabbath what he thinks we should do. He’s good at dishing out negative comments, but not so good at constructive answers.

also, where did I say McCall is the answer? I’m not keen on him or his assistants, but how much would it cost to get rid of them and appoint a new manager? Would a new manager be able to change our style of play with the players we have? Would he be able to make Cardle and Williamson play better balls in the box? The problem runs much deeper than getting rid of the manager

10 hours ago, Pinhead said:

"Bunch of girls blouses"........ Hmm! #

Albeit our Ladies team play in the SWSL2 the clip posted of their 4-1 hammering of Glasgow Ladies showed a lot of attributes missing from their male colleagues. For example:

- good running off the ball 

- properly weighted passing

- composure in front of goal

- effective crossing of the ball

-  clinical finishing

- inventiveness and creativity all over the park

- a great team spirit and will to win, they really play for the Jersey! 

Did anyone see any of the above from their male colleagues yesterday or in fact most of this season. 

2 hours ago, MonehJags said:

The hand out by the Government has a condition that it cant be spent on transfers.

For that to be effective there would have to be a clause whereby acceptance of the money means the recipient club cannot enter the transfer market. 

As for Kettlewell getting sacked. I imagine Uncle Roy is yet again about to dig deep into his coffers and prefers to give the free dosh to a new man.

3 hours ago, MonehJags said:

The money they get from the government can be used to pay things like electricity and bills etc

that means that the money say for example Dundee Or Alloa had set aside originally to pay for electricity, bills etc can then be used to pay for transfers

Most clubs will get round it and use it to their own advantage in the transfer market I would imagine 

Gary Caldwell + Brian Kerr (SPFL Championship): P42 W16 D11 L15 - Win Percentage 38.1%

Ian McCall + Scally + Abject Archie (Championship and League One): P40 W14 D10 L16 - Win Percentage 35.0% 

Considering Caldwell managed at a division higher, I think it's about time that people start to recognise that they have no right to criticise one manager without the other. 

The entire club is rotten to the core. The silence from the Board over the past few months has been deafening, and we get the same platitudes from the management team. The fan-ownership model also makes me think we will be less-Motherwell, and more-Stirling Albion. An ambitionless, directionless, and all-together pathetic excuse for a club. I absolutely do not in any way, shape, or form condone that actions of the Celtic fans outside Parkhead over the last few weeks (given the current situation). But at least their board, players, and management staff can be under no illusions about how they feel. I very much doubt Jacqui, Gerry, McCall or the players are aware of the level of unhappiness of our fans. 

But hey-ho...as a great number of our supporters will say "a know we're in League One, but at least we are no the Old Furm. That's aw that matters."  

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

I was asking sabbath what he thinks we should do. He’s good at dishing out negative comments, but not so good at constructive answers.

also, where did I say McCall is the answer? I’m not keen on him or his assistants, but how much would it cost to get rid of them and appoint a new manager? Would a new manager be able to change our style of play with the players we have? Would he be able to make Cardle and Williamson play better balls in the box? The problem runs much deeper than getting rid of the manager

Funnily enough, a defeat at Ross County should have been our watershed moment. Archie should have been pumped then. Instead we stuck out of blind faith. Mistake after mistake has followed, now we are in League One, blown all the money, and are now are entering Dick Campbell territory. A full time team that cannot be coached basic things in a part time league. 

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Again, I find myself asking just what advantages there are for us to be paying full-time salaries when we lose to part-time teams just as often as we win against them. Individually, do the players look better than than the opposition? Are they stronger, or fitter? Are they more skilled? Do they defend better, or score more goals as a result of their full-time training and status?

I always remember in Des McKeown's book he argued that many part-time players will do their utmost to match full-time players when they train a couple of evening a week, because they're playing for the love of the game and striving to show that they're just as good. 

Any team from the Premiership would probably win easily against the Peterheads, Coves, Clydes, Dumbartons of this league 9 times out of 10, whereas we clearly struggle, time and time again. Is it because our players are in fact no better than part-time opponents? Is it tactics? Training is supposed to be "great" at Firhill, so if that's true then why does  it translate to garbage during so many matches?

We ain’t in the premiership!

5 hours ago, McCall Out said:

We have changed manager 3 times since top  six. So that isn’t the obvious answer.