Falkirk v Thistle Boxing Day

elevenone

I have never seen a straight red card for dissent, or for abusive language. An absolute rarity. Rudden didn't throw a ball away, run up to referee a la Ferguson-era Man Utd...I think he was very unfortunate. And had played quite well prior to that. Do we think that referee would have done the same to, for example, Scott Brown? I'm not convinced...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

You're right but it's kinda chicken and egg. A new striker would be signed to play alongside either Graham or Rudden. That in effect takes one midfielder out the pack. Realistically I think hanging onto Spittal for the season is about the best we can hope for in terms of added midfield creativity. 

Nah Spittal is weak, i would send him back in January and try get a more direct midfielder. We need a younger Erskine who will run at defences and have them on the backfoot. Spittal is too tippy tappy and girly  for that. 

2 minutes ago, milhouse said:

I have never seen a straight red card for dissent, or for abusive language. An absolute rarity. Rudden didn't throw a ball away, run up to referee a la Ferguson-era Man Utd...I think he was very unfortunate. And had played quite well prior to that. Do we think that referee would have done the same to, for example, Scott Brown? I'm not convinced...

Generally agreeing with your point, though I may reserve judgment on the "unfortunate" depending on what Rudden  actually said/did.

But I agree, a booking would be the normal and proportionate punishment. I wondered if he had said something meriting a yellow, but then after the ref spoke to him, he answered straight back, thus earning another yellow, and elevating the original yellow to a red. But in that scenario, normally the ref would make some show of the two separate yellows  to clarify the decision.

We are all much more familiar with the usual situation (from the alternative standpoint). Opposition player gets angry, shouts at ref and gets booked. However, the player is still angry. So we are willing him on "Keep talking......". Player cannot resist, argues more, and off he goes. However, it is normally that longer term escalation that gets the red, not the very brief altercation that ended with Rudden's dismissal.

19 minutes ago, javeajag said:

He didn’t who .... said his plan was to play Graham and rudden together but that’s just not been possible .... indicated players may leave if that’s required to fund it 

This is inevitable...  we’re outside the top 4 after 10 games played.

Interesting to see who he’s happy to sacrifice in order to get two in.. Lyons isn’t starting games so he might be one, perhaps he’s looking at loaning two players out. As for whoever comes in it will also be interesting to see if these are loans or whether the board are prepared to back him with 18 month plus signings

26 minutes ago, javeajag said:

He didn’t who .... said his plan was to play Graham and rudden together but that’s just not been possible .... indicated players may leave if that’s required to fund it 

How are players leaving going to fund it ? I don’t see scouts from Madrid and Barcelona recommending big cheques for any of our failures 

Falkirk fans saying they have no creativity from midfield and no threat up front, they are also unhappy with their management team. Sounds familiar, only difference between them and us. Falkirk top of the league by 4points and we are are in 5th looking to get a play off place. I know what position i prefer. Anybody know for certain if play offs are on this season, or does that depend what position Brechin end up in ?

4 hours ago, McCall Out said:

The problems are not on the pitch. The problem is we need someone to get more from what we’ve got

McCall did better when he first came to Firhill and use the squad he inherited from Caldwell. Since January and 2 transfer windows we have declined at a worrying rate. The current squad and any future signings in January are McCall's. If we are not playing in the championship next season, i will be agreeing with your forum name.

8 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

McCall did better when he first came to Firhill and use the squad he inherited from Caldwell. Since January and 2 transfer windows we have declined at a worrying rate. The current squad and any future signings in January are McCall's. If we are not playing in the championship next season, i will be agreeing with your forum name.

Absolutely.  His signings have been dreadful.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I think by that time, ALL of the management team will have had their time

That includes SCALLY.  Despite what a certain other Scally WAG poster with an agenda may think.

7 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I think by that time, ALL of the management team will have had their time

That includes SCALLY.  Despite what a certain other Scally WAG poster with an agenda may think.

Should have made it clear that i meant a complete clear out of the management team.

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

Been with the club nearly a year. Hardly kicked a ball because of injuries. Starts a game with a chance to impress and the only thing he does of note is gets a red card for allegedly swearing at the ref. Way to impress the Thistle fans Zac.:angry2:

We should bin him in January. Clearly a passenger. 

I know there is a lot negativity around the Jags at the moment and I think I understand why. 

Results and performances have been very poor and the Board and our CEO have been silent in terms of  sharing our (the fans) concerns. I can't speak for the latter point but perhaps we are all over reacting to the former. 

I saw the Hamilton Manager saying his club can't cope with 9 injured first team players - that number is familiar to Jags fans. 

At least for us players are starting to get back onto  the bench. So  in addition to the injuries (and a couple of suspensions) what is the main difference  between us and the teams with whom we are in competition. Set out below is the goal for and against comparisions:

Falkirk            17-6

Montrose     19-15

Airdrie            17-11 

Cove                14-9

Partick               9-6

Peterhead     10-12.

The defence seems good but we just don't score enough goals.

Is the answer another striker and pacy wide player (thought that was Lyons) or just getting a recognised  'first' team on the park and on the bench? 

I didn’t see today’s game but it sounds like the defence coped easily enough with 10 men against the best team in the league.

I’ve watched footballers arguing with refs for years.  Getting booked for dissent is totally unacceptable. It seems to be accepted as ‘part of the game’ but if I was a manager I’d have a fines system in place for this.  (Don’t get me started on diving and feigning injury!).

It sounds like this moron Rudden was picking up his (acceptable) booking then called the ref a stream of obscenities. Sack him now. He’s let down his team mates. And the fans.  We don’t need filth like this at the club.