Falkirk v Thistle Boxing Day

elevenone

12 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I am not making an argument I am simply showing the facts of our  situation re goals scored and conceded in comparison with our main opponents and then just asking a question? 

However I disagree with your suggestion or conclusion or whatever you want to call it. 

If all or most of our recognised first team players were available we would 'look' to be stronger and stable all over the park and on the bench. This, if things weren't going well, would give the manager more options to adapt and to change things. The manager and the team are functioning, at the moment,  with very limited options and effectively with one hand tied behind their back. 

Mc Call is on a shoogly peg and deservedly so but to his credit he just, by and large, gets on with things. At Hamilton Accies their Manager is setting out the case publicly. He is saying his team can't cope with the number of players injured, the players brought in are not rising to the challenge and between the lines 'its not my fault its bad luck and these 'duffers' sitting on the bench. 

If he feels this way then I argue McCall deserves the time to prove himself with a full squad - his squad! 

When his jacket falls aff the shoogly  peg, the WHOLE management team go - McCall Archibald AND Scally. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I am not making an argument I am simply showing the facts of our  situation re goals scored and conceded in comparison with our main opponents and then just asking a question? 

However I disagree with your suggestion or conclusion or whatever you want to call it. 

If all or most of our recognised first team players were available we would 'look' to be stronger and stable all over the park and on the bench. This, if things weren't going well, would give the manager more options to adapt and to change things. The manager and the team are functioning, at the moment,  with very limited options and effectively with one hand tied behind their back. 

Mc Call is on a shoogly peg and deservedly so but to his credit he just, by and large, gets on with things. At Hamilton Accies their Manager is setting out the case publicly. He is saying his team can't cope with the number of players injured, the players brought in are not rising to the challenge and between the lines 'its not my fault its bad luck and these 'duffers' sitting on the bench. 

If he feels this way then I argue McCall deserves the time to prove himself with a full squad - his squad! 

Just like he proved himself last January/February with a full squad - his squad

Bottom line is he will get to the end of the season. I expect to see us push Falkirk all the way. If we end up in the play offs and then get promoted I would take that. If we don't go up I agree his time may be up. What I don't want to see is thistle changing their manager every 3 months as its simply not financially sustainable.  

18 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Nah Spittal is weak, i would send him back in January and try get a more direct midfielder. We need a younger Erskine who will run at defences and have them on the backfoot. Spittal is too tippy tappy and girly  for that. 

Don't really disagree. My point being that Spittal may well be our only realistic option re "creative" midfielder. My fear would be at our level any "running" attacking midfielder would be that light weight he'd make Spittal look like Billy Bremner.

Certainly not doubting that our attacking midfielders with a bit of nous (Cardle & Spittal) are sluggish, whilst the more lively pair (Murray & Lyons) appear a bit delicate. 

14 hours ago, ironfist said:

No because that would be racist, you utter bell end 

Perhaps you didn’t appreciate the point I was trying to make.

Sad that you should resort to making rude personal comments. I’ve contacted Admin and asked how to de-register from the site.

Thanks for all the contributions from many of the fans over the years.

Au Revoir 

Sandbank Boy.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Nah Spittal is weak, i would send him back in January and try get a more direct midfielder. We need a younger Erskine who will run at defences and have them on the backfoot. Spittal is too tippy tappy and girly  for that. 

Disagree mate - we are a league one side Spittal is far better than that, if we get him on a long term deal we have won a watch

he was player of the year for us in the championship and was far far better that season than any of our stalwarts such as Doolan 

more than capable of scoring plenty of goals and assists as we have seen

we might not get him on a permanent but if there is any possibility we need to take it

29 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Bottom line is he will get to the end of the season. I expect to see us push Falkirk all the way. If we end up in the play offs and then get promoted I would take that. If we don't go up I agree his time may be up. What I don't want to see is thistle changing their manager every 3 months as its simply not financially sustainable.  

Year...2020

Manager..Ian McCall

Competitive Matches..24

Won..5

Drawn 9

Lost.. 10

Goals For 22

Goals Against..28

Utterly dreadful. Every signing since January has been McCall's and we are getting worse.

11 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Disagree mate - we are a league one side Spittal is far better than that, if we get him on a long term deal we have won a watch

he was player of the year for us in the championship and was far far better that season than any of our stalwarts such as Doolan 

we might not get him on a permanent but if there is any possibility we need to take it

Spittal is better than League One on talent. But he tends to shitebag his way out of a tough game. Dont know if he has the bollocks for this division.

4 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Do we know what Rudden did/said. It kind of looked to me that he shouted at Murray. There wasn’t anything else I saw that would have upset Rudden.

Nah he was shouting like a 10 year old at the ref. The way I saw it a Falkirk player had a tug at Murray but the ref let him get his shot away anyway. It would have been good refereeing to have gone back and given the foul but nothing to get your knickers in a twist about. 

Have heard a couple of versions on what he actually said but whatever it must have been over the top. Can't recall seeing a player get a straight red for dissent before. Generally thought the ref was OK. 

He was a booking waiting to happen. On at least three occasions when he was flagged offside he just booted the ball away. With all the problems we have right now we need that level of discipline like a hole in the head. He either grows up or he can **** off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Year...2020

Manager..Ian McCall

Competitive Matches..24

Won..5

Drawn 9

Lost.. 10

Goals For 22

Goals Against..28

Utterly dreadful. Every signing since January has been McCall's and we are getting worse.

I agree an overall poor record, but are we really getting worse? I prefer to look at recent statistics.... Last 7 games. Won 4 drawn 2 lost 1 ( yes I know one game was a penalty shoot out ). 1 goal conceded in 7 games. I think we all agree mccall inherited a very poor squad so obviously needed time so that's a factor too. A little balance wouldn't go amiss,  but when you have a poster such as mccall out how can you really treat that person's opinion as objective? 

As others have already said I don't see McCall being sacked unless we are still in league 1 next season. Even if we don't get promotion will we have the money to pay him of. We are only 2 points of second. Our only hope is we can get the players in that can turn this team around. Our defence looks fine,so it is midfield and up front we need a big improvement in.This is not me saying I am happy at the way it is going just now. More a realisation that we probably can't afford to pay of another management team.

29 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I agree an overall poor record, but are we really getting worse? I prefer to look at recent statistics.... Last 7 games. Won 4 drawn 2 lost 1 ( yes I know one game was a penalty shoot out ). 1 goal conceded in 7 games. I think we all agree mccall inherited a very poor squad so obviously needed time so that's a factor too. A little balance wouldn't go amiss,  but when you have a poster such as mccall out how can you really treat that person's opinion as objective? 

Take into account the quality of oppisition we face in a lower league are you really saying that we arent getting worse? The quality of our football is wretched. A midfield built on defence, not attack. Strikers who are guff. And yes he inherited a poor squad, but he got better results from them than he has with his players!

27 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

As others have already said I don't see McCall being sacked unless we are still in league 1 next season. Even if we don't get promotion will we have the money to pay him of. We are only 2 points of second. Our only hope is we can get the players in that can turn this team around. Our defence looks fine,so it is midfield and up front we need a big improvement in.This is not me saying I am happy at the way it is going just now. More a realisation that we probably can't afford to pay of another management team.

I agree that due to finance that he will be here all season, but in the same vein can we add to the squad?

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Well from what i am hearing we have very little chance of keeping him past his initial loan so think he will be one of the players out to allow an in. I don't remember him being player of the year in the Championship, i do remember him coming in for criticism for his shitebaggedness though and as pointed out he is still that weak player and was never one that was up for the battle when the going got tough.

2 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Well from what i am hearing we have very little chance of keeping him past his initial loan so think he will be one of the players out to allow an in. I don't remember him being player of the year in the Championship, i do remember him coming in for criticism for his shitebaggedness though and as pointed out he is still that weak player and was never one that was up for the battle when the going got tough.

I've never been a fan of Spittal. He has the ability to run games but rarely does. However I would like to see him back in the team at this moment as I find it hard to belive that his delivery and pace would not be an upgrade on Cardle. However I would happily let Spittal leave if we can find a faster winger that means Cardle becomes an option from the bench.

I think the original idea with extending Cardle was so that he would only have to play 60/70 minutes for the first half of the seaons and that Lyons or Murray would takeover. Lyons looks like a player but he's obviously not capable of doing what McCall wants at this point. Murray has moments but nowhere near enough to be an automatic starter however injuries have left us little option.

13 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Spittal won some supporters player of the year awards.

45 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I agree that due to finance that he will be here all season, but in the same vein can we add to the squad?

Good question. If we can't afford to add to the squad McCall will just need to get us promotion with what we already have. If not he has failed imo. 

10 minutes ago, laukat said:

I've never been a fan of Spittal. He has the ability to run games but rarely does. However I would like to see him back in the team at this moment as I find it hard to belive that his delivery and pace would not be an upgrade on Cardle. However I would happily let Spittal leave if we can find a faster winger that means Cardle becomes an option from the bench.

I think the original idea with extending Cardle was so that he would only have to play 60/70 minutes for the first half of the seaons and that Lyons or Murray would takeover. Lyons looks like a player but he's obviously not capable of doing what McCall wants at this point. Murray has moments but nowhere near enough to be an automatic starter however injuries have left us little option.

Reminds me very much of Lawless at times

51 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Sorry it was Partick Thistle player of the year in the championship- 2019 Admittedly bar Scott McDonald he probably didn’t have much competition which further illustrates some of the other dreadful signings we have made https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/blair-spittal-voted-mccrea-financial-service-player-of-the-year/

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Take into account the quality of oppisition we face in a lower league are you really saying that we arent getting worse? The quality of our football is wretched. A midfield built on defence, not attack. Strikers who are guff. And yes he inherited a poor squad, but he got better results from them than he has with his players!

Reasonable points. I agree the clock is ticking. As many thistle fans say its the hope that kills ya :-)