Falkirk v Thistle Boxing Day

elevenone

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Campbell is a strange one. His teams are not great to watch (he was sacked by Ross because of the style of play despite being top of the league) but are very effective, particularly at getting out of this league. I recall Lambie's teams also being hard to beat and a 33% win rate suggests a lot of draws. I think the problem that McCall has is that we are again hard to beat and we do get the draws, but we don't score enough to turn at least some of the draws into wins.

He is a strange one.  I remember when he was appointed feeling that finally we had appointed a winner and I had high hopes that would be back in the premier within a couple of seasons. Less than a few months later I was watching us play at home in league 2 thinking the quality of football was so poor that I didn't want to come back. Undoubtedly his highlight as Thistle boss was getting us promoted at Peterhead but it seemed to rely completely on luck.

He seems to be better suited to part-time clubs which probably don't carry any expectations of attractive football and who are willing to sacrifice youth devlopment for higher league position. I suspect that when he calls it a day at Abroath they will drop like a stone as he's the inly one capable of getting that group to give the extra shift required.

There is similarities between Campbell and Lambie. Both were unique characters, similar up bringings, in a football sense they more valued experince and didn't really see there job as devloping youth football.

I'm sure that just before Campbell was appointed the newspaper ran an interview with Lambie saying he knew the perfect guy to be Thistle's next manager. I often wonder if Lambie recommended Campbell?

11 minutes ago, laukat said:

He is a strange one.  I remember when he was appointed feeling that finally we had appointed a winner and I had high hopes that would be back in the premier within a couple of seasons. Less than a few months later I was watching us play at home in league 2 thinking the quality of football was so poor that I didn't want to come back. Undoubtedly his highlight as Thistle boss was getting us promoted at Peterhead but it seemed to rely completely on luck.

He seems to be better suited to part-time clubs which probably don't carry any expectations of attractive football and who are willing to sacrifice youth devlopment for higher league position. I suspect that when he calls it a day at Abroath they will drop like a stone as he's the inly one capable of getting that group to give the extra shift required.

There is similarities between Campbell and Lambie. Both were unique characters, similar up bringings, in a football sense they more valued experince and didn't really see there job as devloping youth football.

I'm sure that just before Campbell was appointed the newspaper ran an interview with Lambie saying he knew the perfect guy to be Thistle's next manager. I often wonder if Lambie recommended Campbell?

You could well be right. I remember it being a very quick appointment and thinking it coming from way leftfield.

1 hour ago, JAG1970 said:

You should have put it on PowerPoint 

I know it is mocked on here, but PowerPoint presentations are now the way of the world when it comes to football manager appointments. My local club in England’s 6th tier asked all candidates to have prepared a 30 minute presentation on how they would organise a training schedule around part time players and youth teams

38 minutes ago, laukat said:

Arbroath are kind of dropping right now, they are bottom and even Queen of the south have overtaken them 

59 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

As far as I can see, your alternative is to cross your fingers and hope that McCall can pull a rabbit from a hat. So why do you think that has a better chance of success and what data do you have to back this up ?

As someone who welcomed McCall’s appointment I have been disappointed. But I think he deserves the rest of the season and the January window to strengthen a weak forward line.

Signing Rudden was a gamble due to his lack of games but I thought Graham was a good signing and both will be good signings. The absence of our other striker cannot be blamed on McCall. If he can strengthen early in January it will complement a strongly performing defence, and we would have a chance.

The key is how well he strengthens and that’s on the assumption the board back him.  Two good additions would I believe transform results through more goals scored.

Edited by JAG1970

58 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

At least I have a plan.
I have laid out why it is important to get promoted THIS season, and why, in my opinion, we have a better chance of achieving that with a change of manager. I have also said how I would finance that and backed all of that up with some data to provide evidence of why I have this view.

As far as I can see, your alternative is to cross your fingers and hope that McCall can pull a rabbit from a hat. So why do you think that has a better chance of success and what data do you have to back this up ?

I am not the one trying to sell something so I don’t need to present any data. 
The data you have presented hasn’t convinced me that your plan ? is the right one. Before we ditch this manager who is, as you say, average have you identified the manager that we should approach and collected the data on him ? I missed how you planned to finance the removal of McCall and presumably Archiebald and Scally who have time left on their contracts.

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

And in your mind what constitutes a Partick Thistle supporter?

Someone who hopes we win every game, but doesn't get too down when that doesn't happen. Above all you are blessed with a great dose of reality and most importantly you never ever stoop to the levels of the wailing and knashing that the OF supporters ( sic ) participate in. 

26 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Someone who hopes we win every game, but doesn't get too down when that doesn't happen. Above all you are blessed with a great dose of reality and most importantly you never ever stoop to the levels of the wailing and knashing that the OF supporters ( sic ) participate in. 

Agree with most of what you say. But just because someone is not happy about where we are at the moment and voices their concern doesn't make them like an OF supporter. We find ourselves 5th in the 3rd tier of Scottish football after  finishing 6th in the premier league just over 3 1/2 years ago. Fans are entitled to question /be concerned about the collapse and its not as if we have not spent a lot of money during our demise. The money we have spent paying of management teams/ players to end contracts must be a ridiculous amount . We need to get out this league first time of asking, if not we could find ourselves at this level for a number of seasons to come. Yes i do hope we win every week and after supporting Thistle for more than 55years i have a large dose of reality.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree with most of what you say. But just because someone is not happy about where we are at the moment and voices their concern doesn't make them like an OF supporter. We find ourselves 5th in the 3rd tier of Scottish football after  finishing 6th in the premier league just over 3 1/2 years ago. Fans are entitled to question /be concerned about the collapse and its not as if we have not spent a lot of money during our demise. The money we have spent paying of management teams/ players to end contracts must be a ridiculous amount . We need to get out this league first time of asking, if not we could find ourselves at this level for a number of seasons to come. Yes i do hope we win every week and after supporting Thistle for more than 55years i have a large dose of reality.

Agreed. The key point is there is a way to show your concern that is balanced and reasonable, which i think most of us achieve. When the commentary is one way negative without a sliver of objectivity or praise ( if it is merited ), i would suggest the term supporter can be reasonably questioned. That said I am glad to report very few posters fall into that category. Thankfully. 

11 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I am not the one trying to sell something so I don’t need to present any data. 
The data you have presented hasn’t convinced me that your plan ? is the right one. Before we ditch this manager who is, as you say, average have you identified the manager that we should approach and collected the data on him ? I missed how you planned to finance the removal of McCall and presumably Archiebald and Scally who have time left on their contracts.

I'm not playing your trolling games. You are not going to accept any argument, but put up no counter argument yourself. Fine, you carry on crossing your fingers and praying for the best, but I'd rather do something more positive.

Judging by the likes, which now outnumber the dislikes (new ground for me) I am convincing some, so I should probably thank you for your help.

As for financing the removal of McCall, I suggest that you reread some of my posts (there is evidence that you don't always do this)

12 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

As someone who welcomed McCall’s appointment I have been disappointed. But I think he deserves the rest of the season and the January window to strengthen a weak forward line.

Signing Rudden was a gamble due to his lack of games but I thought Graham was a good signing and both will be good signings. The absence of our other striker cannot be blamed on McCall. If he can strengthen early in January it will complement a strongly performing defence, and we would have a chance.

The key is how well he strengthens and that’s on the assumption the board back him.  Two good additions would I believe transform results through more goals scored.

My counter argument to this is that we already have the best squad in the league. By laukats analysis (Posted Tuesday at 12:00 PM) Callumn Morrison was the only player from all the other clubs in this league that would get into our team. I would therefore argue that we have the players, but need to play a different style (same comments on here every game, even when we win) and I very much doubt that McCall has the ability to do that. 

39 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

My counter argument to this is that we already have the best squad in the league. By laukats analysis (Posted Tuesday at 12:00 PM) Callumn Morrison was the only player from all the other clubs in this league that would get into our team. I would therefore argue that we have the players, but need to play a different style (same comments on here every game, even when we win) and I very much doubt that McCall has the ability to do that. 

Would the lad Robert or Callum Gallagher not get into our team 

Got to be honest but all the new likes to your posts? I could only see one post that had one like 

Edited by Third Lanark

16 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Would the lad Robert or Callum Gallagher not get into our team 

Got to be honest but all the new likes to your posts? I could only see one post that had one like 

It wasn't my list. But even so, very few players would get in our team, but we are 5th. You could put Robert Lewandowski up front and I doubt he would score many the way we are set up.

I've not been counting the likes, but I am on +6 and was negative last time I looked.

For the past four seasons we have been garbage defensively. Truly appalling in defence (particularly defending set pieces), meaning that we were always doomed to struggle. I do believe, for a manager to come in and turn around a club which has been declining for a few years and is somewhat in a mess, the first thing is to sort out the defence.  On this basis, I see clear progress this season. I genuinely believe, provided we can keep the present defence fit, we can kick on from the defensive platform set.  It will probably take a couple of astute signings (a playmaker and someone with a bit of pace), but as soon as a few goals we will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. 

9 hours ago, dl1971 said:

I hope that we have enough room for all kinds of supporters, but no room for "I'm a better supporter than you" arguments.

I hope that we are allowed to express dissatisfaction when the team is regularly underperforming

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

I hope that we have enough room for all kinds of supporters, but no room for "I'm a better supporter than you" arguments.

I hope that we are allowed to express dissatisfaction when the team is regularly underperforming

Yes we can all express dissatisfaction at our team but to criticise other fans because they're not as pessimistic as us is going too far for some.

2 hours ago, McCall Out said:

Just to be clear it was jus my opinion that Morrison at Falkirk and Robert at Airdrie would be the only players from the rest of the league that would improve our team. Others may identify other players as @Third Lanark has with Calum Gallgher.

From a glass half full perspective that shows McCall is in general getting player recruitment correct and is probably best placed to recruit those required in January to make a difference. From a glass half empty perspective that shows McCall should get better results as he has better players at his disposal.

I suspect McCall must be wondering what we could have been in Declan Glass hadn't got injured or Rudden had been available. Those two could have made all the difference to our attacking threat.  Now we have a defence thats only conceding 6 goals in 10 games we only needed an extra handful of games to be top of the league.

Glass getting injured is to my mind partly why Spittal was brought in at the last minute and probably why we decided to give Reilly a contract. Neither have really filled the gap for different reasons.

2 hours ago, McCall Out said:

I’ve no idea if we have the best squad in the league or not, but we’ve been unable to play two out of our three strikers for almost the whole season to date. If they had been available we would have scored more goals . Given our defence has conceded so few goals then we would have had more points. Hence why I believe McCall deserves more time.  

6 hours ago, McCall Out said:

I'm not playing your trolling games. You are not going to accept any argument, but put up no counter argument yourself. Fine, you carry on crossing your fingers and praying for the best, but I'd rather do something more positive.

Judging by the likes, which now outnumber the dislikes (new ground for me) I am convincing some, so I should probably thank you for your help.

As for financing the removal of McCall, I suggest that you reread some of my posts (there is evidence that you don't always do this)

You see, you have totally misjudged my posts. I didn’t say you hadn’t given a suggestion as to how to finance it, just that I missed it. I am not even saying that I pick up on all posts- I am quite happy to admit I sometimes mis read them and as for not likely to accept your argument, I suggested how you might be able to get me on board, but for some reason you aren’t willing to do that. But you have obviously got enough support to oust the current board. So good luck.

7 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Agreed. The key point is there is a way to show your concern that is balanced and reasonable, which i think most of us achieve. When the commentary is one way negative without a sliver of objectivity or praise ( if it is merited ), i would suggest the term supporter can be reasonably questioned. That said I am glad to report very few posters fall into that category. Thankfully. 

Over the years some threads have been hijacked by a couple of posters who just want to argue back and forward all the time and not adding anything to the discussion. We are all Thistle fans and just because somebody disagrees with you doesn't make their viewpoint any less relevant. At the end of the day we all want what is best for Thistle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Over the years some threads have been hijacked by a couple of posters who just want to argue back and forward all the time and not adding anything to the discussion. We are all Thistle fans and just because somebody disagrees with you doesn't make their viewpoint any less relevant. At the end of the day we all want what is best for Thistle.

Oh, no we don't!