Falkirk v Thistle Boxing Day

elevenone

Difficult to really assess the 2 teams as the wind clearly effected the game. I thought we looked a far greater threat today than in previous weeks with Rudden's movement and pace worrying the Falkirk defence. We were really starting to play some decent stuff just before halftime.

I didn't see how if Rudden had stayed on the park that he wasn't going to get in behind the falkirk defence at least a couple of times. However getting sent off was just stupid and completely killed a good opportunity to take 3 points. I would hope McCall is tearing a strip off him.

We look a well organised unit in defence and in midfield. I thought McKenna at right back made us a better defensive unit and allowed Gordon and Bannigan to get a bit further forward. It'll be interesting to see if Williamson gets back in if he's fit.

I don't see anything in the Falkirk team that would worry me but we do need to get more creativity into the team. Murray has a decent touch but he doesn't back his pace. Cardle has largely given up on trying to out pace fullbacks and constantly cuts back.

Adding a winger with pace would be a good move. I wonder if McCall might be interested in McDaid at Dundee? He seems to be just warming the bench there and McCall knows what he can do

Hopefully Graham is fit for next week otherwise we have no fit strikers. I suspect if its just Graham we have fit we'll be back to aimless crosses into the box in the hope that either he scores or someone else makes use of his layoffs.

Anyone know what happened to Williamson and Spittal? Also any news on Docherty's injury?

5 hours ago, stillresigned said:

I’ll very reluctantly take a point due to been down to ten men for most pg th second-half . Wtf Rudden was doing!Bottom line, is that we’re decent at the back, competent in midfield but in the name of the wee man we’re absolutely pony up front: where we have precious few ides and don’t present much of a goal threat.

Taking our league position out of it, a draw against (then) top team with ten men is a good result.  Our problem isn't games like this, it's like 2 home games against lower half opposition and 5 points dropped.  We really can't afford that.

15 minutes ago, laukat said:

Difficult to really assess the 2 teams as the wind clearly effected the game. I thought we looked a far greater threat today than in previous weeks with Rudden's movement and pace worrying the Falkirk defence. We were really starting to play some decent stuff just before halftime.

I didn't see how if Rudden had stayed on the park that he wasn't going to get in behind the falkirk defence at least a couple of times. However getting sent off was just stupid and completely killed a good opportunity to take 3 points. I would hope McCall is tearing a strip off him.

We look a well organised unit in defence and in midfield. I thought McKenna at right back made us a better defensive unit and allowed Gordon and Bannigan to get a bit further forward. It'll be interesting to see if Williamson gets back in if he's fit.

I don't see anything in the Falkirk team that would worry me but we do need to get more creativity into the team. Murray has a decent touch but he doesn't back his pace. Cardle has largely given up on trying to out pace fullbacks and constantly cuts back.

Adding a winger with pace would be a good move. I wonder if McCall might be interested in McDaid at Dundee? He seems to be just warming the bench there and McCall knows what he can do

Hopefully Graham is fit for next week otherwise we have no fit strikers. I suspect if its just Graham we have fit we'll be back to aimless crosses into the box in the hope that either he scores or someone else makes use of his layoffs.

Anyone know what happened to Williamson and Spittal? Also any news on Docherty's injury?

McDaid was never pacy and always useless.  Presumably Dundee have found this out.

If we can dispatch some of the garbage in January perhaps McCall can use his contacts to bring in a pacy player.

31 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I know there is a lot negativity around the Jags at the moment and I think I understand why. 

Results and performances have been very poor and the Board and our CEO have been silent in terms of  sharing our (the fans) concerns. I can't speak for the latter point but perhaps we are all over reacting to the former. 

I saw the Hamilton Manager saying his club can't cope with 9 injured first team players - that number is familiar to Jags fans. 

At least for us players are starting to get back onto  the bench. So  in addition to the injuries (and a couple of suspensions) what is the main difference  between us and the teams with whom we are in competition. Set out below is the goal for and against comparisions:

Falkirk            17-6

Montrose     19-15

Airdrie            17-11 

Cove                14-9

Partick               9-6

Peterhead     10-12.

The defence seems good but we just don't score enough goals.

Is the answer another striker and pacy wide player (thought that was Lyons) or just getting a recognised  'first' team on the park and on the bench? 

The flaw in your argument is that the best results came when injuries were at their worst and McCall was forced to make changes. If we had a full squad available we would probably be bottom by now 

1 minute ago, Weebaw1 said:

McDaid was never pacy and always useless.  Presumably Dundee have found this out.

If we can dispatch some of the garbage in January perhaps McCall can use his contacts to bring in a pacy player.

I was never a fan of McDaid but given the previous relationship and it being succesful in league 1 for Ayr I wonder if McCall might be tempted.

Not sure whats up with Kouder-Aissa but he seems an obvious one to release and free up some wages. If Reilly can't get even a run out as a sub when we have so many injured you also have to wonder if he will be allowed to go.

Not heard a peep on O'Ware which makes me wonder if he might be allowed to leave? We are well covered at centreback with Brownlie, Sena, McKenna, Breen and Foster if required.

4 minutes ago, laukat said:

I was never a fan of McDaid but given the previous relationship and it being succesful in league 1 for Ayr I wonder if McCall might be tempted.

Not sure whats up with Kouder-Aissa but he seems an obvious one to release and free up some wages. If Reilly can't get even a run out as a sub when we have so many injured you also have to wonder if he will be allowed to go.

Not heard a peep on O'Ware which makes me wonder if he might be allowed to leave? We are well covered at centreback with Brownlie, Sena, McKenna, Breen and Foster if required.

O'Ware contracted to May 2022, like others would cost money to let go. The amount of money we have had to spend to get rid of players and management over the past 21/2 years or so is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

The preview said this game would be too soon for Spittal but he would be fine for Clyde game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

Mcdaid was never given enough of a chance- the ability was there. The last season mcdaid was scoring plenty in the reserves but Archie should have been given him more of a chance.

more than capable of doing well in league one and the championship 

Hate to shatter peoples illusions, but Graham isn’t the answer. His best days are well behind him. Rudden is a waste of a jersey as is the guy from Livi. So we’ve effectively got no decent strikers.
McCall has assembled a poor squad - Foster and  Cardle - really?? - so no wonder we are where we are. 
McCall knows he won’t be sacked due to the current financial climate. Wouldn’t surprise me if he is kept on for the League 1 campaign next season.

1 hour ago, McCall Out said:

The flaw in your argument is that the best results came when injuries were at their worst and McCall was forced to make changes. If we had a full squad available we would probably be bottom by now 

A decent manager adapts to injuries. To say we would be doing worse with a fully fit squad is the ramblings of a man desperate to slate the manager for any absurd reason. I'm half expecting you to say it was actually mccall who swore at the ref and got rudden sent off. 

2 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Hate to shatter peoples illusions, but Graham isn’t the answer. His best days are well behind him. Rudden is a waste of a jersey as is the guy from Livi. So we’ve effectively got no decent strikers.
McCall has assembled a poor squad - Foster and  Cardle - really?? - so no wonder we are where we are. 
McCall knows he won’t be sacked due to the current financial climate. Wouldn’t surprise me if he is kept on for the League 1 campaign next season.

People were happy on here when we signed Graham and rudden although I agree they have been mediocre, albeit Graham started well. Foster has been reasonable in a defence that is solid. I don't think Cardle was signed by McCall....that said the squad ain't great in a poor league. 

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

People were happy on here when we signed Graham and rudden although I agree they have been mediocre, albeit Graham started well. Foster has been reasonable in a defence that is solid. I don't think Cardle was signed by McCall....that said the squad ain't great in a poor league. 

Did McCall not give Cardle a contract in the summer to keep him here for another year? 

12 hours ago, dl1971 said:

A decent manager adapts to injuries. To say we would be doing worse with a fully fit squad is the ramblings of a man desperate to slate the manager for any absurd reason. I'm half expecting you to say it was actually mccall who swore at the ref and got rudden sent off. 

I’m not desperate. McCall doesn’t make it hard to find criticism. What I don’t get is why some try to defend him. If we leave it to see if we are still in this league next season, we have left it too late. This league is garbage. It is very winnable.

As for adapting to injuries, look back to last season and we were starting to recover with GC’s players, until McCall brought in his own guys and it all went tits up. He doesn’t have a clue what is needed and we are worse than before he took over. Not defending Caldwell who was mince, but by any measure McCall is worse.

17 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

Ian must make the big decision and bin a few players at the window. I know injuries have not helped but as they say it's a results business. What;s the use of keeping players that are no just good  enough?  I hope Rudden gets a large fine from the club and is also dropped for a few games. We can't afford  players to carry on like that. Falkirk are not a great team but it's going to be hard to catch them if we don't sort things out.

Do we know what Rudden did/said. It kind of looked to me that he shouted at Murray. There wasn’t anything else I saw that would have upset Rudden.

15 hours ago, McCall Out said:

I am not making an argument I am simply showing the facts of our  situation re goals scored and conceded in comparison with our main opponents and then just asking a question? 

However I disagree with your suggestion or conclusion or whatever you want to call it. 

If all or most of our recognised first team players were available we would 'look' to be stronger and stable all over the park and on the bench. This, if things weren't going well, would give the manager more options to adapt and to change things. The manager and the team are functioning, at the moment,  with very limited options and effectively with one hand tied behind their back. 

Mc Call is on a shoogly peg and deservedly so but to his credit he just, by and large, gets on with things. At Hamilton Accies their Manager is setting out the case publicly. He is saying his team can't cope with the number of players injured, the players brought in are not rising to the challenge and between the lines 'its not my fault its bad luck and these 'duffers' sitting on the bench. 

If he feels this way then I argue McCall deserves the time to prove himself with a full squad - his squad!