Things now gone from football

east end jag

Leaving Firhill on the dot (or just before). Arriving at the Aragon a few minutes after opening time (5pm) and finding BBC's George Davidson well into his second pint. George of course would have been tasked that day with reporting on the Jag's game. Always found his summary accurate for the first 70 minutes or so but his closing reporting over the last 15-20 minutes was rather sketchy.

4 hours ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Walking up the stairs at City end and seeing the pitch gradually coming into view.

Especially on the first day of the season. Lush green pitch Hope springing eternal, anything is possible   Never got past that first day of the season feeling  

• Like 1

Another memory was the kids (usually under 16) selling the first edition Saturday papers on a Friday night and seeing we had signed somebody in the football update part of the sport section (usually twenty words long). Then getting to the game the next day and hoping you could see who the player was during the warm up.

Paying twice to get in... once for the south terracing and a supplement for the enclosure in front of the main stand

The half time scoreboard (as others have referenced above), who needs the internet when you could buy a programme for 5p and x-ref against the lettered scoreboard!

changing ends at half time at Boghead

having good players, and sometimes great players!

beating the ugly sisters on several occasions 

My cousin arriving 25 mins late to a game where we were already 4.0 up, with no further scoring. Had to stop in front on a tv shop on maryhill road after the game before he believed me! 

Things gone from football.....the atmosphere. Since the addition of seated stadia it has never been the same. I ******* despise that green brigade mob but you cannot deny having them in a standing area does not make a difference atmosphere wise. A standing area with even a few hundred in it makes a massive difference if acoustically correct.

10 hours ago, Bobbyhouston said:

Get your macaroon bars and wrigleys spearmint chewing gum 

At last someone on the right direction. The call was "Get your macaroon bars spearmint chewin gum". This could also be shortened to "macaroon bars spearmint chewin gum" . product placement such as "Wrigley's" hadn't been invented. 

Ah the pink Times and the Citizen. My wee pals Da always got the Citizen which  had a picture of a player inside as he was a Celtic bam I feel it may have been only Old Firm players they produced. Were Thistle players represented? my auld Da always bought the Times........."Bunion & Sport.....

14 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Not a saint in sight. It was at Firhill at the Ne'erday match. Half a dozen guys dressed as monks regularly attended the fixture. No idea who they were. Hazy memory but I think they stopped appearing around the time that the seats arrived.

I clearly remember seeing a picture of the monks at Firhill, but I haven't been able to find it online.

Leaving Firhill at the city end, taking a short-cut through the close of a tenement building on Garscube Road to get to Maryhill Road, but of course stopping for a pee in the back yard between the two buildings. Quite a bit of steam in that particular area after matches in those days. Then maybe a look at the budgies and fish in Pat's Pet Shop, checking the scores as they came on the tv through a shop window, then down to Gt Western Road for the No. 20 bus back to the Drum.

• Like 1

All of the above plus:

- physical contact (between players) 

- good referees (Phillips, Patterson, Gallagher) who knew how to handle players, even the John Griegs of this world and the would be modern version, Scott Brown. 

Happy New Year to everybody who contributes to WAT and Jags fans everywhere. 

9 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Terracing standing. I love going to Cappielow to this day because of this.

Even at my age I usually prefer terracing. Hate when you go to a ground where there is terracing and they still  make you go into the stand. Differ from you as I detest Cappielow tho' I certainly still prefer standing there to yon ridiculous DVT stand.

2 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Terracing standing. I love going to Cappielow to this day because of this.

The original Thistle strip. Why oh why can’t we return to this? It’s unique.

Being pedantic, the original strip was navy shirt, white shorts, red socks. It was not until 1935 that we adopted red and yellow.