Things now gone from football

east end jag

6 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

We used it as our away strip for a number of seasons, though. I am pretty sure in the 60’s anyway.

1960s versions from the Toffs site; they're usually accurate.

They also have the yellow tops from 1970-73, but sadly don't have the R&Y hoops; which I'm sure they used to have.

2066.jpg

2065.jpg

Things gone from Fitba.... Maradona, Tommy Docherty and Jim McClean. Probably a few more I am forgetting.

1.Being allowed a can of Tennants on the supporters bus and their being more than three supporters buses.

2.No grass on our pitch by November except in the four corners

3.Players with a bit of character like Chico 

Not just gone from football but not allowed at all,the three wheeler vehicle's for the disabled that would sit behind the goals. Thankfully there's a wide range of vehicle's that can be modified to enable disabled people get around with more dignity and much safer as well nowadays.

• Like 5

On 1/1/2021 at 3:10 AM, Jaggernaut said:

Leaving Firhill at the city end, taking a short-cut through the close of a tenement building on Garscube Road to get to Maryhill Road, but of course stopping for a pee in the back yard between the two buildings. Quite a bit of steam in that particular area after matches in those days. Then maybe a look at the budgies and fish in Pat's Pet Shop, checking the scores as they came on the tv through a shop window, then down to Gt Western Road for the No. 20 bus back to the Drum.

I also sometimes used to get the Kelvin bus (the 109 or 115?) that went along Maryhill road to the Drum but left me with a wee walk from my home stop afterwards.

Missing from football now is going into the wee programme shop near the main entrance, getting a lift up the only part of the wall that you could get a puddy up and climb over at the city end and the regular slight crush getting down the stairs to get out (at the city end again).

Also randomly meeting someone you knew on the terraces (I met my physics teacher - no idea he was a Jag till then) and standing in the same spot so you and mates could always meet up in the shed.

Edited by sb1876

On 1/1/2021 at 6:25 PM, Lenziejag said:

We used it as our away strip for a number of seasons, though. I am pretty sure in the 60’s anyway.

We used to wear the navy blue strip (from memory navy blue top with V neck, white shorts and navy blue and white socks) at home when there was a colour clash. Games v  Motherwell come to mind. There were others but can't recall the opposition. I do remember hating that strip but only because I never saw us win a game when wearing it. 

Did we not also play the first half dozen or so games wearing an all navy  blue strip in our promotion winning season changing to the red and yellow just in time to beat Dunfermline at Firhill 5-1?