Summer Footie . . . anyone??

Flycatcher

There is nothing better than going to a game on a nice warm day wearing a team top and a pair of shorts I have had the pleasure of doing this while on holiday in Tenerife..It's crazy that we are expected to sit there wearing 4/5 layers for 2hours in the freezing cold..I also think that the players would prefer to play in better conditions.This is not a spur of the moment thought but a topic that I have had thoughts about for years....

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

There is nothing better than going to a game on a nice warm day wearing a team top and a pair of shorts I have had the pleasure of doing this while on holiday in Tenerife..It's crazy that we are expected to sit there wearing 4/5 layers for 2hours in the freezing cold..I also think that the players would prefer to play in better conditions.This is not a spur of the moment thought but a topic that I have had thoughts about for years....

Absolutely understand what you are saying, and I do really enjoy those short "windows" at either end of the season when one layer will do.

However, I think that I am sort of with LIB's second sentence in the post above. "However I'd never have bought a season ticket when I was younger and certainly would've missed a lot of games."

Apart from perhaps snow and ice sports (which personally I am not hugely into), most outside activities are more pleasant on a warm summer day than a cold winter day. For someone like me who enjoys being outdoors in the fresh air and also seeing a bit of Scotland (if COVID restrictions permit, of course), the question is one of choice.

When it is cold and wet and nothing else much is happening  outside, it is wonderful to look forward to going to the football and forgetting about the weather as you get drawn into the action. When it is balmy and pleasant, many alternative activities suggest themselves and there is also (in normal years) the possibility of going away on a holiday or a shorter break or expedition beyond reach of Firhill.  

I would also be deprived of one of the main attractions of winter football, which is seeing Auld Jag in his balaclava.

Summer football will need to compete with other summer pursuits - golf, bowls, hill walking, climbing sailing, gardening, holidays etc. For me it will mean markedly lower crowds at games. I for one won’t attend Firhill as much if the weather is good at weekends.  

6 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Absolutely understand what you are saying, and I do really enjoy those short "windows" at either end of the season when one layer will do.

However, I think that I am sort of with LIB's second sentence in the post above. "However I'd never have bought a season ticket when I was younger and certainly would've missed a lot of games."

Apart from perhaps snow and ice sports (which personally I am not hugely into), most outside activities are more pleasant on a warm summer day than a cold winter day. For someone like me who enjoys being outdoors in the fresh air and also seeing a bit of Scotland (if COVID restrictions permit, of course), the question is one of choice.

When it is cold and wet and nothing else much is happening  outside, it is wonderful to look forward to going to the football and forgetting about the weather as you get drawn into the action. When it is balmy and pleasant, many alternative activities suggest themselves and there is also (in normal years) the possibility of going away on a holiday or a shorter break or expedition beyond reach of Firhill.  

I would also be deprived of one of the main attractions of winter football, which is seeing Auld Jag in his balaclava.

Have to agree. Don't know why, but summer football seems artificial in some way to me.

Nothing better than getting your scarf, hat and warm coat on and bounding up the road to Firhill from the pub and then back again.

Gives you something to look forward to at a time of year that can be otherwise uneventful.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

Why don't we play tennis  outdoors in the winter .Why don't we play cricket in the winter ..Why don't we have athletes in the winter  ..No leave it up to the football guys   they will fill the winter months..

If bigger crowds were guaranteed then summer football would be a no brainer. Increased revenue would more than cover greenkeeping issues and most likely the game would be enhanced.

I don't myself believe the obvious appeal of summer football would be strong enough to tempt enough people away from traditional participant sports and other summer pastimes. I think tho' we could start the leagues a bit earlier by deferring the league cup till winter months. Midweek league games would more or less only be played in milder times. Extending the season till the end of May and larger leagues (requiring fewer fixtures) would also help.

1 hour ago, theestle said:

So are you saying we should play football indoors in the winter .

How many games are cancelled because of the winter weather?

If fans could have been in attendance this winter, we'd have put the ush on.

Many other teams have sh1tty plastic pitches which are playable in most conditions.

I'm happy with things as they are. 

11 hours ago, CotterJag said:

How many games are cancelled because of the winter weather?

If fans could have been in attendance this winter, we'd have put the ush on.

Many other teams have sh1tty plastic pitches which are playable in most conditions.

I'm happy with things as they are. 

Well there were 13 Scottish Cup ties yesterday. We had one last weekend. Dundee Utd yesterday and more that I can't be bothered looking for. Livingston have cancelled 2 games recently so plastic pitched don't always guarantee games will be on.

1 hour ago, scotty said:

Well there were 13 Scottish Cup ties yesterday. We had one last weekend. Dundee Utd yesterday and more that I can't be bothered looking for. Livingston have cancelled 2 games recently so plastic pitched don't always guarantee games will be on.

I agree but I don't think many clubs are putting much effort or adding cost, in order for games to be on.

It's also been very cold and maybe many of these games would have been off in any year.

I still don't think that losing some games each winter, would make me want to switch to summer football.

5 hours ago, CotterJag said:

I agree but I don't think many clubs are putting much effort or adding cost, in order for games to be on.

It's also been very cold and maybe many of these games would have been off in any year.

I still don't think that losing some games each winter, would make me want to switch to summer football.

We get cold weather every winter so how can that be a reason not to move football to the milder months?

1 hour ago, scotty said:

We get cold weather every winter so how can that be a reason not to move football to the milder months?

I don't mind the cold and enjoy watching a game in it.

There are not enough games called off for Thistle in any normal year for me to want to switch to Summer football.

Preferring milder weather isn't a good enough reason.

If the whole Winter schedule was cancelled every year, that would be different. 

I started a thread many years ago on Summer football and was universally slaughtered. I used to argue with all the boys on the Thistle bus in the 90s about it and got the same weird is he  having a laugh looks. But just like Electric cars and Wind turbines everything has its day. 

If the lower leagues have now been stalled once again, what better time to advocate a move to this Summer to finish the season and get watching football in t-shirt weather. Halleujah. 

4 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Just to remind fans what it is like to watch Thistle in the winter. A photo of my late son taken on this day in 2016. What was happening on the park was no better, final score Thistle 2 - 4 Dundee.

2016-01-16_16_43_56.jpg

That is dedication to the cause.  Was that the day Gary Harkins was in fine form for Dundee (ie the day before his decline began to set in)?

I think that most of the goals were at the far end that day, but am I right in remembering that David Amoo brought at least some cheer right in front of Robert junior? (I am not cheating by looking up the Thistle Archive first!)?

PS Thankfully the Archive backs up my memory!

Edited by partickthedog
Checked the Thistle Archive