Lyle Taylor

Jaggernaut

Last night I posted a link to a Youtube video in which ex-Jag Lyle Taylor explains why he refuses to join in the "Taking the Knee" ritual.

My post has disappeared; I'm wondering if somehow it got deleted. Is that right, Mods?

I won't post the link again, but if anybody's interested, search Youtube for "Lyle Taylor: Why I won't take knee".

It's interesting.

13 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Last night I posted a link to a Youtube video in which ex-Jag Lyle Taylor explains why he refuses to join in the "Taking the Knee" ritual.

My post has disappeared; I'm wondering if somehow it got deleted. Is that right, Mods?

I won't post the link again, but if anybody's interested, search Youtube for "Lyle Taylor: Why I won't take knee".

It's interesting.

Already read this article about Taylor's views. I think he may have a point. In summary he says he supports 'black lives matter' but he does not support the organisations whom he thinks are trying to exploit the BLM  movement for their own ends. 

Hope this summary is an accurate reflection of the main points in the article. It's worth a read! 

• Like 1

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about the BLM or the organisations involved, but isn't the knee thing empty symbolism, like clapping health care staff instead of paying them properly? When does it become redundant, or is it now a set behaviour that must be adhered to in the way that grace before meals is to the religious?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about the BLM or the organisations involved, but isn't the knee thing empty symbolism, like clapping health care staff instead of paying them properly? When does it become redundant, or is it now a set behaviour that must be adhered to in the way that grace before meals is to the religious?

Completely agree with your comment re Care Staff. 

My wife and I have been discussing the news that some people want to recommence the 'clapping' initiative while at the same time the lady who initiated it is calling for 'clapping' to stop. I think she said the demonstration of appreciation had served its purpose and to start again would be patronising. 

My wife and I have agreed we will not participate this time around for the above reason. 

We will  continue to support, help and appreciate care staff in our own way! 

• Like 1

Actually, she wanted to start the clapping again, but got a torrent of abuse online, so she backed away from it. Carers and NHS workers would seem to prefer that we wear masks and limit social interactions as a show of appreciation for the great work they do.

Edited by flashman
  • Like 1

• Administrators
On 1/14/2021 at 11:18 PM, Jaggernaut said:

It's interesting.

I can't see any sign of your original post. Or of it being deleted via any moderator action. 

Can't say that I'm personally very keen on Taylor's view on things and disagree entirely with his views on BLM but his comments strike me as a legitimate subject for debate. Providing everyone can vere away from the type of comment that has already prompted one post to be reported and subsequently deleted. 

23 hours ago, admin said:

I can't see any sign of your original post. Or of it being deleted via any moderator action. 

Can't say that I'm personally very keen on Taylor's view on things and disagree entirely with his views on BLM but his comments strike me as a legitimate subject for debate. Providing everyone can vere away from the type of comment that has already prompted one post to be reported and subsequently deleted. 

Thanks, Admin. Maybe I just posted it in my imagination.

3 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Taking The Knee had a function and purpose when it started.  After time its now becoming a token gesture.  Time to wind it down I think before the meaning is diluted and lost.

If it had a function and purpose when it started, surely it still does now? It’s not as if the problems and wrongs being highlighted have been fixed and gone away. The whole point of continuing with the knee is to keep the issue visible and in the forefront. Otherwise the whole thing is forgotten about for most people and we go back to how things were, as usually happens when a racism issue makes the news. It’s debated, people say it’s terrible, someone may get punished and then we continue as if it never happened without doing anything significant re the core problems and reasons.

Obviously I’m not saying it’s a solution in itself, or anything near enough, but keeping the issue visible is important, I believe 

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

If it had a function and purpose when it started, surely it still does now? It’s not as if the problems and wrongs being highlighted have been fixed and gone away. The whole point of continuing with the knee is to keep the issue visible and in the forefront. Otherwise the whole thing is forgotten about for most people and we go back to how things were, as usually happens when a racism issue makes the news. It’s debated, people say it’s terrible, someone may get punished and then we continue as if it never happened without doing anything significant re the core problems and reasons.

Obviously I’m not saying it’s a solution in itself, or anything near enough, but keeping the issue visible is important, I believe 

It’s maybe something that needs to evolve. After a while it just becomes a habit and the reason for doing it is forgotten. 

• Like 1