The Day The Scottish Cup Came Up To Maryhill

The Thistle Archive

On this night, 100 years ago, the SFA met in Glasgow, the main purpose of which was to conduct the draws for the latest rounds of the Scottish Cup. This draw was a real ifs, buts or maybes affair, covering as it did the rounds of both the last 16 and the last 8 in one fell swoop. Yes, Partick Thistle were in the hat for the Scottish Cup Quarter Finals, despite sitting on a club-record run of 6 games without a goal. It strikes me that Partick Thistle are the only club in world football capable of such utterly mad statistics!

In part 6, we take in the draw and look back on a very memorable day for the two Thistle goalies...

The Day The Scottish Cup Came Up To Maryhill part 6 →

scotland-wales-1921a.jpg

• Thanks 3

In part 7 we meet Willie Hamilton & Bob McFarlane, and take in match day three, as Jags take a third crack at Hibernian. The prize of a winnable tie at East Stirlingshire in 4 days time lay in store for the victors on this stormy Tuesday afternoon at Celtic Park. Saturday's surprise 4-0 win over Morton demonstrated that the 'fringe' Jags were hungry and ready.

For Jimmy McMenemy, it was a return to Parkhead, the place he had called home for almost the entirety of the century. Could this give Thistle the edge? Jags were on a history-making run of 6 consecutive clean-sheets but, in an incredible pre-match scenario, Hibs themselves were 5 games without conceding a goal. What gives?

The Day The Scottish Cup Came Up To Maryhill part 7 →

21-celtic-park.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It really was, 31 is no age at all. Glad to hear you like the virtual medals idea. In the fullness of time, we're hoping to roll out virtual gold / silver and maybe bronze virtual medals for all tournaments / all squad contributors. And it's a much bigger tally than the jokers would suggest!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

It really was, 31 is no age at all. Glad to hear you like the virtual medals idea. In the fullness of time, we're hoping to roll out virtual gold / silver and maybe bronze virtual medals for all tournaments / all squad contributors. And it's a much bigger tally than the jokers would suggest!

31 is the age young Robert was when he passed away.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Great work as usual by everybody @The Thistle Archive . Virtual medal awards a lovely idea. Willie Hamilton such a tragic story.

If I remember rightly, Willie turned out for Dunfermline,  his former club, in a charity game against Cowdenbeath in the 1920 close season. Folks thought he had signed for them again.  He didn't.  He was persuaded to rejoin the Jags, to play his part in our cup run.

As an aside, TTA, do you include guest players (WW2) in the players lists?  I came across Jack Quinlan who guested for the Jags when home on leave from the Navy. If you wish, I  can email the details to you, as usual. It's an article in the Helensburgh Advertiser from 18 December 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, partickthedog said:

And like Willie Hamilton will always be remembered, and is a Thistle hero and legend.

Hear hear. The plaque is excellent.

15 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

As an aside, TTA, do you include guest players (WW2) in the players lists?  I came across Jack Quinlan who guested for the Jags when home on leave from the Navy. If you wish, I  can email the details to you, as usual. It's an article in the Helensburgh Advertiser from 18 December 2019.

Yes, we list every player known to have been listed on a Partick Thistle first-team teamsheet, 1876 to date, even if their only listing was an abandoned or voided game. Current count is 1,934 of.

Thanks for noticing the possible anomaly, the more of that the better. I read the article which doesn't reveal much with regards to Thistle. All of our 1940s line-ups are complete, but we have no note of this Quinlan feller. Perhaps he featured in the reserves, or it could be he played under a wartime pseudonym, not unheard of.  For example, looking at #9s as the article indicates, the mysterious E. Floyd could be a candidate:

http://thethistlearchive.wikidot.com/e-floyd

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Hear hear. The plaque is excellent.

The plague is a great tribute to Robert. As i have said before he was very modest and would have been very surprised about the things that have been done in his memory. Apart from the plague there  was a very nice tribute to him in the Ross County game programme 1st April 2017 aka April Dools day and the disabled supporters player of the year award was also in Robert's memory. For anybody who has not seen the plague it is in the John Lambie stand, i have put a picture of it below. 

2018-03-21_15_32_22.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

The plague is a great tribute to Robert. As i have said before he was very modest and would have been very surprised about the things that have been done in his memory. Apart from the plague there  was a very nice tribute to him in the Ross County game programme 1st April 2017 aka April Dools day and the disabled supporters player of the year award was also in Robert's memory. For anybody who has not seen the plague it is in the John Lambie stand, i have put a picture of it below. 

2018-03-21_15_32_22.jpg

I'm afraid I'm out of likes, AJ! I've not seen it, not having been to Firhill for a while.  It's  a lovely memorial to a special Jags fan. 

• Like 2

There's a great poignancy to the co-incidence, so much so that I think Hammy and Rab will be synonymous from hereon. Today's entry is dedicated to them.   :wearethistle:

On this day 100 years ago, it was Shire v Jags in the third round of the Scottish Cup...

arrive nice and early as there's likely to be a rush after the PT special train arrives at Grahamston

... in part 8...

● George Easton's attempted bribery
● Ground record at Bainsford
● Meet Jimmy Kinloch
● Held at gun-point by the black and tans

The Day The Scottish Cup Came Up To Maryhill part 8 →

21-merchiston-park.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

There's a great poignancy to the co-incidence, so much so that I think Hammy and Rab will be synonymous from hereon. Today's entry is dedicated to them.   :wearethistle:

On this day 100 years ago, it was Shire v Jags in the third round of the Scottish Cup...

arrive nice and early as there's likely to be a rush after the PT special train arrives at Grahamston

... in part 8...

● George Easton's attempted bribery
● Ground record at Bainsford
● Meet Jimmy Kinloch
● Held at gun-point by the black and tans

The Day The Scottish Cup Came Up To Maryhill part 8 →

21-merchiston-park.jpg

Thank you for dedicating this to Hammy and Robert aka @RabTheJag.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

On this Grand National day 100 years ago, the Shaun Spadah of the Scottish Cup found the going tough at muddy Fir Park, but stubbornly refused to fall. In part 9 of our story, read about a day of Cup surprises and meet Willie Salisbury...

The Day The Scottish Cup Came Up To Maryhill part 9 →

g19210305c.png

Thistle's goals were "piloted" and "plunked". Oh, for some pilots and plunkers in the Thistle ranks this season!

• Like 2

On 3/5/2021 at 4:22 PM, partickthedog said:

Thistle's goals were "piloted" and "plunked". Oh, for some pilots and plunkers in the Thistle ranks this season!

I don't know about pilots,  but we have a fair share of plunkers ! :shok:

The video footage is brilliant.  Pitch goalmouths look like quagmires.  Reminded me of the 1928 The Glasgow Expungers (Oldco) game against Toronto Ulster United in Canada in 1928, where one difference was the highland dancers in the Canadian footage.  Found this looking for  Matt Wilson, one of our 1921 Cup Final heroes.  Matt played against the expungers two years later for TUU in 1930, where although again beaten, TUU had a closer result.

Looking forward to the Motherwell replays!!

Edited by East Kent Jag II
Replays, plural of replay
  • Like 1

It's time for part 10 of our Scottish Cup story where you'll meet Rab Bernard and John Bowie and take in the Quarter Final replay... Partick Thistle v Motherwell. Having recently organised a switch to Ibrox for the forthcoming home League fixture with Celtic, the directors had not anticipated any more huge crowds at Firhill this season, and a massive £30,000 ground improvements programme was underway, so this unplanned midweek replay was a matter of some inconvenience. Likewise, many of the fans wishing to attend, once again, had to rely on the goodwill of workmates who might be willing to swap afternoon shifts. Despite these hindrances, a huge crowd of some 30,000 gathered at the Fortress, the big majority willing Thistle on to their first-ever Scottish Cup semi-final. With the fourth and final place in tomorrow night's draw on the line, the stakes were massive...

The Day The Scottish Cup Came Up To Maryhill part 10 →

21-firhill.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Following yesterday's stalemate with Well, Jags were one of five in the hat for the semi-finals draw, held on this night 100 years ago. Rangers, Hearts or Albion Rovers? Who would it be? We have the draw and the reaction in part 11 of the odyssey...

The Day The Scottish Cup Came Up To Maryhill part 11 →

scottish-cup.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To Ibrox then, 100 years ago today, where Thistle were attempting to reach the Scottish Cup semi-finals for the first time. The conclusion of our 4½ hour Quarter Final tussle with Motherwell is at the centre of pt.12, where we'll meet Alex Lauder and David Johnstone, and discover that Jimmy McMenemy wasn't the only Jag holding a previous Scottish Cup winners medal...

The Day The Scottish Cup Came Up To Maryhill part 12 →

21-ibrox.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

To Ibrox then, 100 years ago today, where Thistle were attempting to reach the Scottish Cup semi-finals for the first time. The conclusion of our 4½ hour Quarter Final tussle with Motherwell is at the centre of pt.12, where we'll meet Alex Lauder and David Johnstone, and discover that Jimmy McMenemy wasn't the only Jag holding a previous Scottish Cup winners medal...

The Day The Scottish Cup Came Up To Maryhill part 12 →

21-ibrox.jpg

It's interesting that Thistle's first competitive games against Motherwell were  also in the Scottish Cup.  In October 1892 we drew 2-2 with them in the 3rd preliminary round of the Cup  at Inchview.  The replay at Dalzeil Park was also a draw, 3-3.   Unlike 1921 there was no further replay.   Both sides progressed to the next round.  Sadly we lost 4-3 to Broxburn Shamrock at Shamrock Park  in the 4th Preliminary round.  (Willie Paul scored our third goal.  He had also scored in the two games against Motherwell in the previous round.)  Is this where EUFA got the idea of multiple preliminary rounds for their tournaments from, I wonder?