The Day The Scottish Cup Came Up To Maryhill

The Thistle Archive

On 4/16/2021 at 9:15 PM, partickthedog said:

Wonderful stuff as always. I love the word "ousted".

Until I read your profile of him, I had not realised that John Blair's roots were in Ardrossan, and his career was launched with Saltcoats Victoria. A very good friend of mine is both Club Secretary and Club Chaplain at Saltcoats Victoria. I have just sent him an extract from your report and thanked Saltcoats Victoria for nurturing such a Thistle legend.

The fact that the said friend happens to be the most ardent h*n in the history of the world only added to the pleasure!:shakeshout:

To be fair on my Saltcoats Victoria friend, his response was as follows. Good to see a "Thistle outsider" also appreciating TJR's brilliant research:

What a terrific find! A belter of a story! This is a story of which I was unaware — thanks for passing it on. I’ll share with others on the Committee. 

My friend also pointed out another example of Saltcoats Victoria book-ending a (rather less spectacular) Thistle career. Ray Montgomerie began with the Vics before signing for Newcastle, from where his road led via Kilmarnock to Maryhill. He later returned to Saltcoats Vics as Club Chairman. He was with Thistle at our low ebb between Save the Jags and the Third Coming of Lambie, but I do remember him as being one of the most enthusiastic clappers of the Thistle fans, both before and after the game.

Edited by partickthedog
Spelling!

1 hour ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Ran out of likes, a never ending sketch on here. As is the updating of club connections, but that's the Vics sorted for now at least:

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/connections-saltcoats-victoria

Many thanks for this. Have passed the link on to my Saltcoats Vics friend and have asked him to let me know if he ever finds any other Vics/Thistle connection, so that you can update your records.

Interesting to see that League Cup Final scorer Bobby Lawrie is also on the Vics roll of honour, though his time there was some years after being with Thistle.

4 hours ago, partickthedog said:

To be fair on my Saltcoats Victoria friend, his response was as follows. Good to see a "Thistle outsider" also appreciating TJR's brilliant research:

What a terrific find! A belter of a story! This is a story of which I was unaware — thanks for passing it on. I’ll share with others on the Committee. 

My friend also pointed out another example of Saltcoats Victoria book-ending a (rather less spectacular) Thistle career. Ray Montgomerie began with the VIcs before signing for Newcastle, from where his road led via Kilmarnock to Maryhill. He later returned to Saltcoats Vics as Club Chairman. He was with Thistle at our low ebb between Save the Jags and the Third Coming of Lambie, but I do remember him as being one of the most enthusiastic clappers of the Thistle fans, both before and after the game.

I remember that too, but honestly, in my opinion that was about it in terms of his contribution to the Thistle cause at the time.

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Many thanks for this. Have passed the link on to my Saltcoats Vics friend and have asked him to let me know if he ever finds any other Vics/Thistle connection, so that you can update your records.

Interesting to see that League Cup Final scorer Bobby Lawrie is also on the Vics roll of honour, though his time there was some years after being with Thistle.

I know that Lawrie On The Wing became a kind of legend at Whitletts Victoria. ..... Saltcoats too?

Edited by Jaggernaut

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

I know that Lawrie On The Wing became a kind of legend at Whitletts Victoria. ..... Saltcoats too?

I do not see any mention of Whitletts in Bobby Lawrie's list of clubs-see link posted by TJR about 6 posts back-so I m sure that if you have evidence of Bobby having played there, TJR will be delighted to update his records!

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

I remember that too, but honestly, in my opinion that was about it in terms of his contribution to the Thistle cause at the time.

I had to find something nice to say about him!