Who’s missing the Fitba ?

Bobbyhouston

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Lateral flow tests twice a week. And all the clubs are full time, so no plumbers or cabbies or posties mixing with the public

Are you sure all of the Vanarama National League teams are full time?   That hasn't been the case in recent years, with the majority but not all of the teams full time.  Stockport County and Altrincham certainly come to mind.

Where are the plumbers , cabbies and posties in our league?  I've never heard any clubs boasting having these occupations, but I have heard Arbroath proudly boasting about their bin man.  (Nothing wrong in that.)  Did so yesterday.  So where is the logic in Arbroath being able to amble on through the season, and we, thanks to the SFA/SPFL and SG sit twiddling our thumbs?

Why do we always get this silly generalisation on player occupations without facts?  One thing I do know.  None of our players are plumbers cabbies posties or binmen.

Maybe not all full time, but the vast majority are. Just like Arbroath who are in a primarily full time league.

Playing devils advocate, by stopping our leagues they have prevented 17 of the 19 part time clubs from travelling the length and breadth of the country. We just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Think the part time thing is a bit of a red herring here. While there is more risk for p/t players catching Covid if they are working outside football , if a regular testing regime was in place positive tests would be picked up and the players told to isolate. The potential risk is several players in the same team test positive and games need to be postponed. Think only Clyde had to postponed league game to date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Maybe not all full time, but the vast majority are. Just like Arbroath who are in a primarily full time league.

Playing devils advocate, by stopping our leagues they have prevented 17 of the 19 part time clubs from travelling the length and breadth of the country. We just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I agree. To say we are unfortunate is beyond doubt. Not even Ian McCall or the board can be blamed for that surely... 

At the Australian tennis open just finished, players and their teams had to turn up 2 weeks before the tournament started and had to isolate in a hotel only allowed out for training and matches. All snooker tournaments played this season apart from 1 have been played at the Marshall arena Milton Keynes and the same hotels have been used for players to stay in. Test cricket have  also had this sort of set up and when formula 1 starts up they again will be kept in a strict bubble. As far as i know Scottish football is nowhere near as strict. Yes i know training is different from pre covid. But once training is over do all players go home and isolate in their houses until the next training session or playing in a game. I doubt it. Imo if it is not safe for all football below championship level to play,even though leagues 1 and 2 are willing to go through the same measures the leagues above are doing, it is not safe for any football to be played.

Maybe Scottish football needs to re-organise itself so that there is a structure for full-time clubs and one for part-time. League Two clubs have more in common with Highland and Lowland. Thistle, as a club, have more in common with Premier and Championship clubs. Same with Falkirk and maybe QP going the same way.  We used to restrict entry to those with 10,000 seats in the Premier. Maybe we should restrict Championship to full-time only. Post-covid will not be the same as pre-Covid for many businesses and we maybe need to think differently about how Scottish football protects itself and grows stronger from this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

At the Australian tennis open just finished, players and their teams had to turn up 2 weeks before the tournament started and had to isolate in a hotel only allowed out for training and matches. All snooker tournaments played this season apart from 1 have been played at the Marshall arena Milton Keynes and the same hotels have been used for players to stay in. Test cricket have  also had this sort of set up and when formula 1 starts up they again will be kept in a strict bubble. As far as i know Scottish football is nowhere near as strict. Yes i know training is different from pre covid. But once training is over do all players go home and isolate in their houses until the next training session or playing in a game. I doubt it. Imo if it is not safe for all football below championship level to play,even though leagues 1 and 2 are willing to go through the same measures the leagues above are doing, it is not safe for any football to be played.

So, Tennis, F1, cricket and snooker all did what was required to preserve the TV and sponsorship money. Scottish football is not so different (except for the lack of a sponsor)

Stop the Premier league and all income stops, which also costs L1/L2. Arguably prem needs champ to keep the jeopardy of relegation.

9 hours ago, Arete said:

Maybe Scottish football needs to re-organise itself so that there is a structure for full-time clubs and one for part-time. League Two clubs have more in common with Highland and Lowland. Thistle, as a club, have more in common with Premier and Championship clubs. Same with Falkirk and maybe QP going the same way.  We used to restrict entry to those with 10,000 seats in the Premier. Maybe we should restrict Championship to full-time only. Post-covid will not be the same as pre-Covid for many businesses and we maybe need to think differently about how Scottish football protects itself and grows stronger from this.

Can't disagree with your sentiments but there were moves over the summer to reorganise football and we all saw how that ended up. My glass is very much half empty when "change for the better" issues are discussed within Scottish Football. Voting in favour of the status quo is effectively chronic. Maintaining the inane four time a season 10 club leagues a prime example of the nonsense fans have to put up with.

I get your point about the differences between part time and full time clubs but see it slightly differently. Firstly I believe that technically it would be difficult to define what is actually a full time club. think there could be a few grey areas. Secondly, and more to the point, a reorganised league set up would accommodate more places than full time clubs within its top two tiers.

Unfortunately as witnessed last summer we don't have the mechanisms to effect change. Too many clubs simply vote on what's good for them at the particular time of the vote and longer term issues come secondary. I realise that an element of fiduciary duty within individual clubs comes into play. So it's up to the ruling bodies, who after all are there to run the game, to overcome any "me first" attitudes. And that sadly is why my glass is half empty.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

So, Tennis, F1, cricket and snooker all did what was required to preserve the TV and sponsorship money. Scottish football is not so different (except for the lack of a sponsor)

Stop the Premier league and all income stops, which also costs L1/L2. Arguably prem needs champ to keep the jeopardy of relegation.

My point is the sports i mentioned are doing the bubble in the correct way. As i say as far as i know apart from difference in training i don't know of anything else that has changed from pre covid apart from no attendance. If its good enough for the top 2 leagues and the next 2 leagues want to do the same it should be good enough for them to also continue.

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Can't disagree with your sentiments but there were moves over the summer to reorganise football and we all saw how that ended up. My glass is very much half empty when "change for the better" issues are discussed within Scottish Football. Voting in favour of the status quo is effectively chronic. Maintaining the inane four time a season 10 club leagues a prime example of the nonsense fans have to put up with.

I get your point about the differences between part time and full time clubs but see it slightly differently. Firstly I believe that technically it would be difficult to define what is actually a full time club. think there could be a few grey areas. Secondly, and more to the point, a reorganised league set up would accommodate more places than full time clubs within its top two tiers.

Unfortunately as witnessed last summer we don't have the mechanisms to effect change. Too many clubs simply vote on what's good for them at the particular time of the vote and longer term issues come secondary. I realise that an element of fiduciary duty within individual clubs comes into play. So it's up to the ruling bodies, who after all are there to run the game, to overcome any "me first" attitudes. And that sadly is why my glass is half empty.  

I'm forced to agree. Without reorganisation Scottish football will, at best, tread water. Scottish football, more than most leagues, has really struggled with Covid. It's been stop-start, in-fighting and external criticism.  I fear we won't learn from the negative experience and may well fall further behind those whose model is stronger (includes lower English) when the world recovers from the stresses that Covid has brought. 

24 minutes ago, Arete said:

I'm forced to agree. Without reorganisation Scottish football will, at best, tread water. Scottish football, more than most leagues, has really struggled with Covid. It's been stop-start, in-fighting and external criticism.  I fear we won't learn from the negative experience and may well fall further behind those whose model is stronger (includes lower English) when the world recovers from the stresses that Covid has brought. 

Despite the farcical ending most fans could see, the powers that be thought that last season's ending was satisfactory. In fact some were patting themselves on the back for how they handled it. As long as these people bury their heads in the sand and continue to pick up wages that most of us could only dream about. Scottish football will never move forward.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Despite the farcical ending most fans could see, the powers that be thought that last season's ending was satisfactory. In fact some were patting themselves on the back for how they handled it. As long as these people bury their heads in the sand and continue to pick up wages that most of us could only dream about. Scottish football will never move forward.

They didn’t merely pick up wages, they paid themselves bonuses for a job “well done”

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

They didn’t merely pick up wages, they paid themselves bonuses for a job “well done”

In their eyes it was a job well done...they saved their only sponsorship deal. Admittedly they were happy to screw over the majority of their members but hey the ugly sisters are happy.

The only change I can see coming is a strengthening of the power vested in the premier league at the expense of all other leagues

9 minutes ago, fifexile said:

In their eyes it was a job well done...they saved their only sponsorship deal. Admittedly they were happy to screw over the majority of their members but hey the ugly sisters are happy.

The only change I can see coming is a strengthening of the power vested in the premier league at the expense of all other leagues

Can't deny the ugly sisters are treated as the be all and end all of Scottish Football but the decision making over the summer by and large didn't affect them. They were always going to get their four times a season fix regardless of league set ups. It's the deemed insignificant treatment of the other clubs that rankles. Hearts, who are the 3rd or 4th largest club, found out that to their cost. Thing is if we were to return to the old SPL/SFL days it would just be the same (probably a lot worse?).

Just as the SPL with its one up one down policy was near to a closed shop so was the SFL. In fact the SFL was in many ways worse in not allowing any relegation from its bottom tier, blocking  any idea of a pyramid system time after time. I guess the point I'm trying to make is during the SFL era the tail constantly wagged the dog. So it's hardly surprising that those same clubs, epitomised by Brechin City, continue to block any change to the status quo.  

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

You are an idiot

You would be better aiming your ire at the SPFL and SFA. They are the ones who should be putting proposals forward to safely restart the lower leagues, not sitting on their well paid @rses pretending they are competent. 

38 minutes ago, fifexile said:

Plenty GRE2! I'll start with Duncaster and Maxwell!

Getting your knickers in a twist and there is nothing you can do! Thistle are caught in thus mess because we are in League 1. A league we shouldn't have been near. Take your anger out on our own people who failed the club entirely.