PARTICK THISTLE QUIZ

Question for the experts.  On 3rd Feb 1996 we played the Rangers and lost 2-1 that day. Rod McDonald was ridiculously sent off and Billy McDonald was stupidly sent off.. I'm sure we finished with  9 men that day. Iirc Steve Pittman got 3 red cards but he wasn't on the field or even a sub. Can anyone confirm or correct me?

3 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

All correct Jaggy. Pittman was banned for 8 games (and no doubt fined by the club). Just to rub salt in the wound, in the press Ref McGillivray admitted that he had not applied the rules fairly and that he had not sent Gascoigne off because he feared crowd trouble.

Thanks. The question was how many players were we left with on the field and most went for 9, but the answer was given as 8. I was sure that was wrong

23 hours ago, jaggy said:

Question for the experts.  On 3rd Feb 1996 we played the Rangers and lost 2-1 that day. Rod McDonald was ridiculously sent off and Billy McDonald was stupidly sent off.. I'm sure we finished with  9 men that day. Iirc Steve Pittman got 3 red cards but he wasn't on the field or even a sub. Can anyone confirm or correct me?

He was definitely a silly Billy that day.

And made to look even worse than silly by Gascoigne.

12 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Actually, it was as if he said to himself: "F*ck it, I'm gonna make sure we win today and then I'm finished with all this."

The following week on the radio then Chairman Jim Oliver tore Mr McGilvray apart.  It was brilliant radio and I think it was Hugh Keevins who was hosting who was clearly loving it.  Agree with what was said above - we finished with 9 men so the quizmaster should be penalised!!

• Haha 1

The cheating will likely never stop, as those refs will just be replaced by other Rangers supporters.

I remember another game at Firhill versus 'them', when Gerry Britton was annoyed at a decision, maybe a penalty award (? seems likely) and picked the ball up a kicked it down the park in anger.

The ref was looking the other way but an Australian (I think), Rangers player hit the deck as if Gerry had punched him and rolled around the park.

GB was then sent off.

They are and always will be a disgrace in my eyes. 

8 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

The cheating will likely never stop, as those refs will just be replaced by other Rangers supporters.

I remember another game at Firhill versus 'them', when Gerry Britton was annoyed at a decision, maybe a penalty award (? seems likely) and picked the ball up a kicked it down the park in anger.

The ref was looking the other way but an Australian (I think), Rangers player hit the deck as if Gerry had punched him and rolled around the park.

GB was then sent off.

They are and always will be a disgrace in my eyes. 

Think that was Kevin Meerkat or whatever he was called. Gerry pushed him but he fell forward or pulled at him and he went backwards. Can't mind too clearly but it did defy the laws of physics.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Think that was Kevin Meerkat or whatever he was called. Gerry pushed him but he fell forward or pulled at him and he went backwards. Can't mind too clearly but it did defy the laws of physics.

The ref was John Underhill who admitted afterwards that he only caught a small glimpse of the incident but he did see contact between Gerry and the opposition - he agreed on seeing it again that having seen the whole incident he wouldn’t have red carded him and was glad he won his appeal - but he had to act on the bit he saw.  There have been many refs who I would accuse of acts of cheating but knowing the ref as I did I would not have put that one in this category. Many others yes!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, michael m said:

The ref was John Underhill who admitted afterwards that he only caught a small glimpse of the incident but he did see contact between Gerry and the opposition - he agreed on seeing it again that having seen the whole incident he wouldn’t have red carded him and was glad he won his appeal - but he had to act on the bit he saw.  There have been many refs who I would accuse of acts of cheating but knowing the ref as I did I would not have put that one in this category. Many others yes!

But it begs the question.  Should he only act in seeing the FULL incident? 

48 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

But it begs the question.  Should he only act in seeing the FULL incident? 

If you remember the full incident it was Gerry with a flailing arm which was shrugging off a disputed decision which ended up catching the opposition player, the end of which the referee saw.  I know John Underhill well and I took him back to his car after the game and he was genuinely upset if he had got it wrong but he was adamant he could only act on what he saw.  Yes he got it wrong but I fully understand his thinking and being honest I think he did what he thought was right - I fully understand that