THE Dave McParland?

Jaggernaut

A friend of mine sent this pic of a letter that he saw on a Facebook page. He's a 'tic supporter, so maybe one of their pages.

He asked me if I though it was addressed to the future Jags legend, who would have been 17 at that time.

There can't be many David McParland capped for Scotland any level, so I'd be 95% confident that it's him.

Any thoughts?

FB_IMG_1612801017800 (1).jpg

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

A friend of mine sent this pic of a letter that he saw on a Facebook page. He's a 'tic supporter, so maybe one of their pages.

He asked me if I though it was addressed to the future Jags legend, who would have been 17 at that time.

There can't be many David McParland capped for Scotland any level, so I'd be 95% confident that it's him.

Any thoughts?

FB_IMG_1612801017800 (1).jpg

It has his address as in Tullibody. Wasn't he born in Larkhall?

3 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

It has his address as in Tullibody. Wasn't he born in Larkhall?

Yes he was born in Larkhall, but has associations with Clackmannan area. (He died in Alloa). Also, I always thought his accent was more from that area than the West of Scotland or anywhere near Glasgow. But of course what I thought about his accent isn't proof of anything!

While there is evidence of selectors holding trial matches several weeks before the game (local papers with "local boy to play against England" etc etc), I can't find any evidence this match ever took place.  Given the opposition it might have been expected to generate some sort of report.  Certainly it was previewed that it was to be on 21 March 1953  so the date quoted in the letter is correct.  The Scotland v England Amateur international at Hampden the same day kicked off in thick fog.  Perhaps it was postponed? 

I have a couple of doubts however.  Was Davie not a left winger even in his youth?  The Motherwell Times mentions two local lads chosen to play - one on the right wing and one on the left wing. Also, Davie would have been coming up for 18 in March 1953.  Would that have been too old to be a member of the Scottish Association of Boys Clubs"?  Not 100% sure this is "our" Davie.

PS. The SABC held it's inter district boxing finals that Saturday. Guess where. Cowdenbeath.

Only one David McParland born in Scotland in the 1930's, in Larkhall.

I don't have the official history book here, but I'm sure that DMcP wore the number 10 jersey on more than the odd occasion. In fact, I think I remember him only being listed as a winger more frequently nearer the end of his career. But like all my memories, that one needs to be checked. 

I've gone from being 95% confident that it's the great man to 99%, like her Ladyship.

Definitely our Davie. He was capped for Scotland school boys whilst at Our Lady's High in Motherwell. The family moved to Tullibody shortly thereafter, where he played with Tullibody YC. Inside or outside left was his either/or preference at this time. He signed for Larkhall Thistle from Tullibody in time for the start of the 1953-54, and was hardly there at all until he got in the door at Firhill within a few months.

• Like 3