Stuart Kettlewell

Bobbyhouston

3 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Yes. The first season of it when the old 2 divisions were divided into 3(1975-76). 

Remember it well.  My first full season. Joe Craig and Doug Somner (with a bit of help from Jim Melrose) were banging in the goals, with Denis McQuade and the real Bobby Houston on the wings. Not to mention Alan Rough in goals, Alan Hansen, Jackie Campbell, Andy Anderson, John Craig, Benny Rooney and so many more (and that is without checking the Thistle Archive).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Remember it well.  My first full season. Joe Craig and Doug Somner (with a bit of help from Jim Melrose) were banging in the goals, with Denis McQuade and the real Bobby Houston on the wings. Not to mention Alan Rough in goals, Alan Hansen, Jackie Campbell, Andy Anderson, John Craig, Benny Rooney and so many more (and that is without checking the Thistle Archive).

Yeah. Season got off to a flyer by winning all our League Cup section games( all 6 of them).

5 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Might be a victim of lockdown haircut from hell.I had one the other day...was beginning to look like Danny Lennon till the wife got a hold of me and the cat’s clippers ...I now look like Davie  Dodds  :bag:

Surely nobody can look like Davie Dodds other that Davie himself? David Lynch is still trying to get him to make that sequel as John Hurt isn’t available 

Edited by sandy

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

thanks for the mention 

4 hours ago, partickthedog said:

With the exception of Benney Rooney (imo), all great players.

On 2/20/2021 at 7:26 PM, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Regards managing Thistle, it needs a rather eccentric, gifted manager to be successful at our club. In my time of supporting Thistle(52 years), I have seen 3 successful managers, McParland with his revolutionary style with his talented young side, Bertie Auld, who done a fantastic job unearthing diamonds and journeymen and was definitely an eccentric character and the indomitable John Lambie, a head banger, who could motivate his teams to perform above their level. All of these managers had fantastic man management about them. I sincerely thought McCall had it, but no. So. This club is eccentric and is one of the hardest jobs in Scottish football. 

Never really thought about the character of a successful Jags manager.  My thinking was always let's appoint a good manager.

After reading your comment I agree with you we need a character/eccentric and not a normal person! 

I don't agree with your comments about McCall. 

If we were going to move him upstairs then no to Kettlewell and yes to a Brian Clough type! 

Can anyone think of any eccentrics? 

4 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Never really thought about the character of a successful Jags manager.  My thinking was always let's appoint a good manager.

After reading your comment I agree with you we need a character/eccentric and not a normal person! 

If we were going to move him upstairs then no to Kettlewell and yes to a Brian Clough type! 

I thought he was a terrible jags manager but has been excellent pretty much everywhere else - I would say dick Campbell can be quite eccentric 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I recall him applying at some point in the past, but I think Phil Brown (even if I dislike him) would have been a good match

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I recall him applying at some point in the past, but I think Phil Brown (even if I dislike him) would have been a good match

I quite liked him, but just took a look at his managerial record on Wiki. Pretty much disastrous almost everywhere he has been, basically looks clueless.