League 1 & 2 club meeting SFA tonight

Bobbyhouston

7 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I am also glad we will be back playing. But this format is like when you hire a pitch with your mates and you say we will try and get Y amount of games in, but we might only get X amount in. Not what you expect from a professional organisation imo.

Although all 20 clubs apparently proposed this and all agreed to it. So the clubs seem pretty clueless. 

unlike last season when the season ended without warning and we were in the wrong place, at least this season we know it could end after 18 games, so it's up to us to be in the best position possible at that point, and maintain or better it if it goes on for another 4 games. No excuses

30 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Are there going to be any playoffs, or just 1 up 1 down

I'm assuming the reason for the 23 April deadline is to allow time for the additional 4 games and the playoffs to be completed without extending the season. 

Hopefully my assumption is correct. 

1 hour ago, redandyellowallover said:

Yes there will be the playoffs as normal. If there wasn't then there would be no barrier to playing a 27 game season and extending it into June 

The play offs are a necessity but I fail to understand why they need to be home and away ties. Still, in theory at least, the more cramped the fixtures the better suited it should be for the full time club. Then again relying on players who may struggle to be fit for one game a week, could kinda negate that advantage.

8 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Although all 20 clubs apparently proposed this and all agreed to it. So the clubs seem pretty clueless. 

When it came out about the restart a few weeks ago it said all 20 clubs wanted 22 games. Then said the SPFL wanted 18 games, so this might be some compromise. I just feel clubs should know when they start next week when the league will end, either 18 or 22 games. Suppose it is better than last season when league was stopped when nobody expected it. No matter the amount of games we have left, we need to get of to a good start and put pressure on the teams above us. So a home win next week is a must. But yes i still think it looks amateurish the way it is being done. No matter who thought it up.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

When it came out about the restart a few weeks ago it said all 20 clubs wanted 22 games. Then said the SPFL wanted 18 games, so this might be some compromise. I just feel clubs should know when they start next week when the league will end, either 18 or 22 games. Suppose it is better than last season when league was stopped when nobody expected it. No matter the amount of games we have left, we need to get of to a good start and put pressure on the teams above us. So a home win next week is a must. But yes i still think it looks amateurish the way it is being done. No matter who thought it up.

Agree! We really need win just about all our games to win the title or its play offs at best.

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

League 1 and 2 clubs have been asked to vote on the 22 game season, votes to be returned asap. No team will be asked to play more than 4 games in 8 consecutive days. The play offs have been pushed back by 3 days, to start on 8th May.

Wow, potentially that's one hell of a schedule. Perhaps that's why we're expanding our squad with anyone we can get our hands on. 

7 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Wow, potentially that's one hell of a schedule. Perhaps that's why we're expanding our squad with anyone we can get our hands on. 

Also if any club does not complete 18 games by 6th May, final positions will be decided on ppg. If every team plays 18 games but all post split games are not completed by 6th May ppg will be the deciding factor for promotion, play offs and relegation.

14 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

League 1 and 2 clubs have been asked to vote on the 22 game season, votes to be returned asap. No team will be asked to play more than 4 games in 8 consecutive days. The play offs have been pushed back by 3 days, to start on 8th May.

Pleasantly surprised that the SPFL don't seem to have managed to squeeze into their formulae a scenario where playoffs get cancelled.

I realise that this vote should just be rubber stamping as it was the League One & Two steering group who proposed the format in the first place. The cynic in me says that there may yet be some horse trading required to get the 75% (15 club) approval. Also got a feeling Doncaster & Co are saying "Are you sure you really want to do this?  Why not have a wee rethink? And of course when that lot are concerned, cynicism should really read as scepticism. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

13 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Also if any club does not complete 18 games by 6th May, final positions will be decided on ppg. If every team plays 18 games but all post split games are not completed by 6th May ppg will be the deciding factor for promotion, play offs and relegation.

I don't like the idea of ppg coming in to play. The cynic in me immediately spots potential opportunities to abuse the system by finding a reason not to play the final game

The number of games SHOULD favour the full time teams with bigger squads. Finish first has to be the aim otherwise play offs any team will struggle. I'd more or less written this season off so at least we have a fighting chance....cue we lose our first 3 games! 

This all sounds manageable unless a lower league club gets a cup run. Then league games could start to build up.  

What about positive Covid tests at a club? Have they agreed an approach for that if it leads to a postponement? There may not be enough time to get that club rescheduling games. 

Amateur teams with miniscule squads and walking wounded always manage 2/3/4 games a season traditionally at this time of year (caused by continual winter postponements) ... I’m quite sure that if the amateurs can manage then the so-called professional part time/full time teams will be just fine.

Edited by gianlucatoni

5 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

Amateur teams with miniscule squads and walking wounded always manage 2/3/4 games a season traditionally at this time of year (caused by continual winter postponements) ... I’m quite sure that if the amateurs can manage then the so-called professional part time/full time teams will be just fine.

I'm sure 2/3/4 games a season will be just fine!