ON THIS DAY

a f kincaid

I left Firhill that night relieved we had got a point, but felt we should have won the game. Not for 1 minute did i think i would not be at Firhill on the Saturday for the vital game against Alloa. What happened next is now history, but the last year has again imo shown that Scottish football needs a big overhaul and the Scottish game is run to benefit only 2 clubs. As i write this post even though our league season is due to restart in 10 days time, we still have no idea of the format the league will take. How many more things need to happen to let fans see that Scottish football is run by a bunch of vastly over  paid chancers. Of course this pandemic has caused more disruption worldwide than just stopping the lower leagues in Scottish football. We all now lead our lives under more restriction than any off us would ever have thought possible. And of course lives have been lost directly and indirectly because of covid. Any way lets hope some time in the not to distant future we will be back to a 'normal' that will allow us to attend games at Firhill. And since some of my fellow fans seem to miss my balaclava i will wear it when that day arrives. :ph34r: :fan:

19 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I left Firhill that night relieved we had got a point, but felt we should have won the game. Not for 1 minute did i think i would not be at Firhill on the Saturday for the vital game against Alloa. What happened next is now history, but the last year has again imo shown that Scottish football needs a big overhaul and the Scottish game is run to benefit only 2 clubs. As i write this post even though our league season is due to restart in 10 days time, we still have no idea of the format the league will take. How many more things need to happen to let fans see that Scottish football is run by a bunch of vastly over  paid chancers. Of course this pandemic has caused more disruption worldwide than just stopping the lower leagues in Scottish football. We all now lead our lives under more restriction than any off us would ever have thought possible. And of course lives have been lost directly and indirectly because of covid. Any way lets hope some time in the not to distant future we will be back to a 'normal' that will allow us to attend games at Firhill. And since some of my fellow fans seem to miss my balaclava i will wear it when that day arrives. :ph34r: :fan:

Hope so, but suspect it will be next season at the earliest. The day I can get the train into Glasgow and watch bar staff pouring me a pint before heading up to Firhill is going to be a bloody good one. 

4 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Hope so, but suspect it will be next season at the earliest. The day I can get the train into Glasgow and watch bar staff pouring me a pint before heading up to Firhill is going to be a bloody good one. 

Next season is also my expectation. Meanwhile :cheers:

15 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

How many more things need to happen to let fans see that Scottish football is run by a bunch of vastly over  paid chancers.

I think the majority of fans know this, but have zero input to or control over the running of the game.

29 minutes ago, delurker said:

I think the majority of fans know this, but have zero input to or control over the running of the game.

Open to an obvious comeback but if more clubs were either under the control of fans, or fans had a considerable influence on their respected club boards, then this need not happen.  Instead of the current lip service occasionally awarded to joint fan representation, the situation could be far better addressed by actually having club nominated fans on the SPFL and SFA. There's always the risk of poacher turned gamekeeper occurrences but it's hard to believe things could get any worse than it is today.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, delurker said:

Agree. We just pay our money and hope whoever is running our club invests it in the best way they can. It is the ones in charge of clubs who have the power to change things. The problem with that is the teams at the top end are quite happy to get the scraps from the old firm table and the teams at the bottom end are quite happy to call themselves professional football clubs and not fall down the trap door of Lowland or Highland League. Meanwhile the clubs in the middle are stuck.

• Like 1

I see our relationship with the SFA/SPFL cabal as akin to a bunch of residents in a Glasgow tenement building.

Every month the tenants and owners blindly pay their factors fees to some bunch of charlatans who “manage” the close for them  and always manage to get the most expensive quote for any work required doing (probably getting some dodgy back hander for giving the work out to specific companies) ...

- clean out your gutters? ... that’ll be £920 you mugs split 8 ways

- coat of white paint above the tiles in the close? ... that’ll be £1200 you mugs split 8 ways

- couple of ridge tiles loose on roof? ... that’ll be £1350 you idiots split 8 ways

etc

Just as some residents have done in sacking their factors and running the building themselves, if Scottish clubs had any balls, then they would get together and end this abusive and counterproductive relationship, set up their own league and alternative cup tournaments and tell the old factors to GTF. 

Until then it’s just another Groundhog Day.

Edited by gianlucatoni
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

I see our relationship with the SFA/SPFL cabal as akin to a bunch of residents in a Glasgow tenement building.

Every month the tenants and owners blindly pay their factors fees to some bunch of charlatans who “manage” the close for them  and always manage to get the most expensive quote for any work required doing (probably getting some dodgy back hander for giving the work out to specific companies) ...

- clean out your gutters? ... that’ll be £920 you mugs split 8 ways

- coat of white paint above the tiles in the close? ... that’ll be £1200 you mugs split 8 ways

- couple of ridge tiles loose on roof? ... that’ll be £1350 you idiots split 8 ways

etc

Just as some residents have done in sacking their factors and running the building themselves, if Scottish clubs had any balls, then they would get together and end this abusive and counterproductive relationship, set up their own league and alternative cup tournaments and tell the old factors to GTF. 

Until then it’s just another Groundhog Day.

The one thing the SFA/SPFL do manage to carry out most efficiently is the "divide & conquer" policy.

The problem is that by benefiting just 2 clubs, it also benefits the vast majority of supporters and the vast majority of users of the media outlets. Unless any changes are to the benefit of those 2 clubs, there is not going to be any appetite for any change. The vast majority of Scottish football "customers" are generally happy with the status quo.

On 3/12/2021 at 1:10 PM, Dick Dastardly said:

The problem is that by benefiting just 2 clubs, it also benefits the vast majority of supporters and the vast majority of users of the media outlets. Unless any changes are to the benefit of those 2 clubs, there is not going to be any appetite for any change. The vast majority of Scottish football "customers" are generally happy with the status quo.

I am not so sure this "two club" view of how football in this country is administered applies at the moment.  Perhaps in the past I would wholeheartedly agree but at the moment I am not so sure.

The SPFL (not so much the SFA) in particular have been running football for the benefit of one club and that club is Celtic! Even though Newall is going this will remain the case as long as McLennan and Doncaster remain in control. The events of the past year were all about getting Celtic their 9th Title and setting them up for the 'historic' 10th Title.  To do this the Leagues needed to be 'called' instead of being declared 'null and void'!  We were just collateral damage. 

However, being a believer in Karma I am delighted it has served up to Celtic a shambolic and disastrous season which I hope will take them a few years from which to recover. 

It's no secret McLennan and Doncaster have had their problems with  Rangers FC. There is so much wrong with the administration of Scottish Football at the moment and I agree root and branch change is needed. Removing McLennan and Doncaster for the good of all would be a good start! 

• Like 2