Hearts Friendly

javeajag

11 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Hard to make too much of that but it looked like we weren't too far behind in overall fitness. Also thought it was played quite competitively for a friendly. But i could easily be wrong as you really only get a vague impression watching a stream.

A doctor can tell a lot from a stream.:thumbsup2:

Really difficult to judge anything from this game. First hald we looked more energetic and more of a threat but we started with our regular formation and Hearts were using this game mainly to get guys like Berra, Haining and Walker fit so they were likely a bit rusty.

Second half we struggled to get as much of the ball or be as dominant in midfield. That could be because Bannigan and Gordon had been subbed or because Hearts better players started to pick up.

I liked the attacking shape we had better in the second half with Erskine and Murray getting closer to Rudden than we've seen in the early part of the season. However Graham seemed more of a threat in the first half with McIver supporting him.

Cardle's delivery was disapointing but the Firhill grass looked a bit long and providing an uneven movement. So much so that on a flatter surface I think Gordon's goal would have ended wide of the post.

I think from what I saw the following looks our best eleven

Wright

Sena-Brownlie-Bell

Foster-Geggan-Bannigan-Penrice

Erskine

Rudden-Graham

Gordon was ok today but I thought Geggan looked better in the tackle (Docherty would replace Geggan if fit).  Cardle looked lost without Williamson making overlapping runs bit perhaps would be more effective as a sub.

McKenna as a right back doesn't really work as Hearts second showed. He has a tendancy to move centrally were a natural right back would have pushed slightly wider.

10 minutes ago, laukat said:

Really difficult to judge anything from this game. First hald we looked more energetic and more of a threat but we started with our regular formation and Hearts were using this game mainly to get guys like Berra, Haining and Walker fit so they were likely a bit rusty.

Second half we struggled to get as much of the ball or be as dominant in midfield. That could be because Bannigan and Gordon had been subbed or because Hearts better players started to pick up.

I liked the attacking shape we had better in the second half with Erskine and Murray getting closer to Rudden than we've seen in the early part of the season. However Graham seemed more of a threat in the first half with McIver supporting him.

Cardle's delivery was disapointing but the Firhill grass looked a bit long and providing an uneven movement. So much so that on a flatter surface I think Gordon's goal would have ended wide of the post.

I think from what I saw the following looks our best eleven

Wright

Sena-Brownlie-Bell

Foster-Geggan-Bannigan-Penrice

Erskine

Rudden-Graham

Gordon was ok today but I thought Geggan looked better in the tackle (Docherty would replace Geggan if fit).  Cardle looked lost without Williamson making overlapping runs bit perhaps would be more effective as a sub.

McKenna as a right back doesn't really work as Hearts second showed. He has a tendancy to move centrally were a natural right back would have pushed slightly wider.

Decent starting 11 

14 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Presumably it was a Hearts reserve team since the first team played yesterday.

DD, if I read the official Hearts website properly I make it that the Hearts starting 11 had a total of 628 first team appearances between them. Only Logan and McGill are showing as "0" in their stats. Berra and Walker have 489 between them. An indication of their depth of squad no doubt.  Not a team of inexperienced youngsters they could have sent along  M8.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

DD, if I read the official Hearts website properly I make it that the Hearts starting 11 had a total of 628 first team appearances between them. Only Logan and McGill are showing as "0" in their stats. Berra and Walker have 489 between them. An indication of their depth of squad no doubt.  Not a team of inexperienced youngsters they could have sent along  M8.

Two players FFS the rest where you boys , Two players with 628 first team games have another 9 YOUNG teammates 

39 minutes ago, Bobbyhouston said:

Two players FFS the rest where you boys , Two players with 628 first team games have another 9 YOUNG teammates 

But as a test of our fitness, it was not a kids team. Many Championship teams have done worse than 1-2 against Hearts. It will have helped many in the squad get their match legs back and so I am taking this as a positive outcome. As far as I know, nobody got injured, so the game will have put us in a better place to face Cove.

I still have major doubts about pace in the squad and the age of some of our players, but it does sound like we put on some sort of performance 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But as a test of our fitness, it was not a kids team. Many Championship teams have done worse than 1-2 against Hearts. It will have helped many in the squad get their match legs back and so I am taking this as a positive outcome. As far as I know, nobody got injured, so the game will have put us in a better place to face Cove.

I still have major doubts about pace in the squad and the age of some of our players, but it does sound like we put on some sort of performance 

First half was impressive, bit disjointed second half due to amount of changes