Update from McCall

javeajag

27 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

You don't know what the finances were at the time. It's not Football Manager where you can just buy a replacement before getting rid of the old one. We also don't know who they tried to get in but didn't land.

You're telling me that a player under contract is more expensive to keep than to sign replacements who will have a signing on fee? Factor in the length of deal we offered to Harkins and that was somehow a better use of money?

I think you're stretching logic to infer that Erskine leaving was anything other than Calwell didn't want him here. If you need further evidence look at the minutes Erskine appeared in 18/19 pre Caldwell and post Caldwell prior to Erskine's departure.

Not being able to replace a player who another team have lured away at the end of their contract of by offering us a transfer fee isn't great but understadable. However in this scenario we let a player go who was under contract and we had no-one better to replace him.

Never played Football Manager so you'll need to enlighten me - do you climb leagues and win things in that game when you make incompetent decisions like that or does that just apply to real football?

Having had the season on hold for 3 months, every team in leagues 1 & 2 have had any transfer dealings they might have done in January scuppered. McCall says we had 5 lined up, i am sure that not many if any are the one's we have brought in the past few weeks. We have went down the more 'experienced' route. The other teams loan deals i have seen, they seem to be going the other way, and signing young players. Again i suspect if the deals would have been done  in January, these teams would have signed different players. Only time will tell who is correct. As for McCall, after a very promising start it has been downhill rapidly since January 2020. He has a lot to do to turn round this current tenure at the club for it to be a success.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Really? How many times did either of them play 90 minutes?

I didn’t dispute that they were subbed or subs.

I was disputing your analysis then and now that it therefore meant there were doubts about whether they were good enough. Literally every team has players that are in the latter part of their career who are used as an impact player or are regarded as good for 60-70 minutes. If you prioritised simply having players that play 90 minutes every week you’ll have a squad that’s both inexperienced and full of a lot of unhappy substitutes.

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

You don't know what the finances were at the time. It's not Football Manager where you can just buy a replacement before getting rid of the old one. We also don't know who they tried to get in but didn't land.

This is a good reason not to let a vital player go unless you’re pretty confident you can replace them.

28 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Having had the season on hold for 3 months, every team in leagues 1 & 2 have had any transfer dealings they might have done in January scuppered. McCall says we had 5 lined up, i am sure that not many if any are the one's we have brought in the past few weeks. We have went down the more 'experienced' route. The other teams loan deals i have seen, they seem to be going the other way, and signing young players. Again i suspect if the deals would have been done  in January, these teams would have signed different players. Only time will tell who is correct. As for McCall, after a very promising start it has been downhill rapidly since January 2020. He has a lot to do to turn round this current tenure at the club for it to be a success.

In January we had Bruce Anderson, Declan McDaid, Blair Spittal, Scott Tiffoney and another Livi player joining us if the season hadn’t been stopped 

• Thanks 1