Thistle v Cove Rangers Sat 20th March

elevenone

We looked frail in defence all game. The amount of protection Docherty gives to the defence is ony understood when he's not there.

McKenna didn't do anything terrible but he's not a right back. I think we need to go back to playing players in their proper positions i.e. Foster at right back, Penrice at Leftback.

MacIver wasn't brilliant so hopefully Rudden will be back. Cardle is far better as an impact sub than he is playing from the start. Erskine looked bit rusty but still provided more of a threat than Murray or MacIver.

On the plus side Airdrie got beat so we moved slightly closer to the top 4. Winning the league looks unlikely.

Absolutely rancid performance. First 60 mins were truly appalling. Cove midfield bossed it. Despite that we should have won it in the last 15 but still managed to blow. The script was written when Senna blew a guilt edged opportunity. 

McCall needs to take a good look at himself continuing to start Murray. It's like they've pulled some guy at random off the street and thrown him on the pitch. Cardle did more on his limited time on the pitch than Murray has achieved all season. In fact we played infinitely better when Cardle and Erskine were introduced. 

I can almost forgive the poor performance given the three month hiatus. It was never going to be easy to hit the ground running under these circumstances. What I can't forgive is the age old problem of having a soft centre and continually blowing it late on, we simply cannot see a game out when it matters.

I shudder to think how many points this has cost us over the years but more importantly it's going to cost us promotion this season unless it is sorted PDQ.

19 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Oh dear.

They were far better

Sena  mom though despite his miss . He looks fit, strong and learning all the time.

Cardle made a huge difference. That Murray is very poor.

Sena arguably cost us 3 points no way should he be man of the match. Even in first half he could have gifted them a goal- by his standard he was poor today. Bannigan who I have criticised a lot before was my mom calm assured, some great passing - I just wished other team mates had played as well 

Going by video coverage it looked like a draw was a fair result. But a point apiece is a better outcome for Cove, so that maybe makes them the better side on the day.

I guess most folk on here will know that playing two upfront does not necessarily equate with attacking football. And it looked playing such an inflexible 4-4-2 was hardly conducive to disproving that.  Playing that way I reckon we'll have to be better player for player across the pitch to win most games. Perhaps if we had held on for a 1-0, or Sena put away his chance for a 2-1 win, we'd be reasonably happy tonight. 

Lack of pace in the absence of clinical finishing and/or above average creativity could kill us. We'll probably be ahead in overall fitness but we need more than that. 

That was terrible to watch. I know the team is going to be a bit rusty but it’s the exact same for every team we will play. Doesn’t take a genius to work out how to play us. We’re just so so predictable in everything we do. Very slow at pretty much everything also. Think it’s blatantly obvious we won’t win the league now. To be heralded as favourites and not win home games like that today or even look like scoring is unacceptable. 

41 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Sena arguably cost us 3 points no way should he be man of the match. Even in first half he could have gifted them a goal- by his standard he was poor today. Bannigan who I have criticised a lot before was my mom calm assured, some great passing - I just wished other team mates had played as well 

It was a draw, so he only cost us 2 points.

Sorry to be pedantic.

Draw fair result. Senna should of scored but equally we were saved by Wright when Cove were right through on the thistle goal. On the contrary to some posters I thought Senna was superb today despite his miss.  The second half performance does offer a measure of optimism. 

5 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Tick tock McCall. Almost time to go.

Rightly or wrongly I don’t think they will get rid of him.  Even if we don’t get promotion the club is absolutely skint and will be even more so stuck in the division for another year where’s the money to pay him off.  Even if he resigned the club I doubt could afford to pay off Archie and scally who I don’t doubt would then become manager