Fridge full with Cargo roll on the morra

Bobbyhouston

28 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Not really. For 35 mins we were ****** awful. Absolutely nothing to do with being fickle.

I don't pay for away streams, so didn't see how we played. But going from the updates we did not seem to be playing well until we scored. So yes you are right, we were rotten for the first half hour or so. But also my comment was just a bit of a joke. That fell flat.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

I don't pay for away streams, so didn't see how we played. But going from the updates we did not seem to be playing well until we scored. So yes you are right, we were rotten for the first half hour or so. But also my comment was just a bit of a joke. That fell flat.

No worries. Truth is by definition football fans (myself included) are fickle as ****. We lurch between total shite and the greatest thing since sliced bread in the blink of an eye. Just thought I'd point out that we were total shite in the early part of today's game. 

When we did get going the reason we scored 4 and had so many other chances was the delivery into the box was so much better. It really was a big change from what we've witnessed so far this season. 

Didn't particularly think anyone was outstanding today, suppose it was a team effort. Connor Murray was as useless as ever in the 1st half but finally started to look like a player throughout the 2nd. That's two excellent finishes in two games. Please keep this going son and kick start your Thistle career. 

11 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Don’t want to be a damp squib, but last time we won 2 league games in a row was December 2019. I’d need an archaeologist to find the last time we won 6 in a row.

Great way to celebrate a Saturday with a win and a convincing one at that, but it could have been so different if it wasn’t for the s as ve and immediate goal. Up to that point we were rank rotten. This league is so close. At one point we were 7th and Airdrie 3rd. Now it is the other way round

DD.  Speaking as an archaeologist I've unearthed 8 consecutive league wins in Feb/Mar 2013.  It's tough living in digs.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Have to be happy with result yesterday despite continuing to be wasteful up front with 20 shots of which 12 were on target ...the likes of Graham and Rudden need to be sharper and more clinical in their finishing .

I also felt Airdrie managed to break through our midfield more often than was comfortable for us and shows how important the Bannigan( who I thought was excellent again yesterday and seems to have the red mist behind him now) /Doherty partnership will be for us in the run in .

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

DD.  Speaking as an archaeologist I've unearthed 8 consecutive league wins in Feb/Mar 2013.  It's tough living in digs.

DD can find a few more in the Thistle Archive,  lists, winning streaks section.   

A quick look, and your day won't  be runed.  :yoda:

Edited by East Kent Jag II
Runed, not ruined, autocorrect!

1 hour ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Have to be happy with result yesterday despite continuing to be wasteful up front with 20 shots of which 12 were on target ...the likes of Graham and Rudden need to be sharper and more clinical in their finishing .

I also felt Airdrie managed to break through our midfield more often than was comfortable for us and shows how important the Bannigan( who I thought was excellent again yesterday and seems to have the red mist behind him now) /Doherty partnership will be for us in the run in .

Good comments. Tho' I agree he's wasteful, I don't think we should expect anything but what we get from Graham. He's been kinda like that all his career. Just more obvious now due to age taking him past his best. Graham despite his build doesn't relish the lone striker role and is far at his best playing alongside a regular partner.

On the other hand, we've gotta expect Rudden to be more clinical if he's to start in a two upfront. Rudden played on his own upfront may even be a better option. Even if he's not scoring he's got enough pace and strength about him to play in attacking midfielders. Gordon, Cardle, Erskine, Murray and Tiffoney plus Lyons (maybees) are all goalscoring attacking midfielders. An added advantage to that sort of set up would be the ease of rotation. Put another way if we persist in playing a rigid 4-4-2, especially if the two upfront are wasteful) our opponents know exactly what they have to do to shut us down.

21 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Good comments. Tho' I agree he's wasteful, I don't think we should expect anything but what we get from Graham. He's been kinda like that all his career. Just more obvious now due to age taking him past his best. Graham despite his build doesn't relish the lone striker role and is far at his best playing alongside a regular partner.

On the other hand, we've gotta expect Rudden to be more clinical if he's to start in a two upfront. Rudden played on his own upfront may even be a better option. Even if he's not scoring he's got enough pace and strength about him to play in attacking midfielders. Gordon, Cardle, Erskine, Murray and Tiffoney plus Lyons (maybees) are all goalscoring attacking midfielders. An added advantage to that sort of set up would be the ease of rotation. Put another way if we persist in playing a rigid 4-4-2, especially if the two upfront are wasteful) our opponents know exactly what they have to do to shut us down.

The Graham/ Rudden partnership needs time to settle and develop (I know not much time  left) and feel Rudden’s  ability to mix and noise things up in defences might be the key to more scoring success ,although MacIver would also make a good foil for Rudden if Graham continues to underperform .

8 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

The Graham/ Rudden partnership needs time to settle and develop (I know not much time  left) and feel Rudden’s  ability to mix and noise things up in defences might be the key to more scoring success ,although MacIver would also make a good foil for Rudden if Graham continues to underperform .

Meant to add that if Graham & Rudden developed a productive partnership, something which I assume was always McCall's intention, then that's a different matter entirely. A 4-4-2 would be solid and worthwhile sacrificing a more fluid set up. It's as you say not much time left to persevere. That's a decision McCall has to make pronto. It's a difficult one due to both the time factor and the need to rotate. Let's just hope he gets it right.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Meant to add that if Graham & Rudden developed a productive partnership, something which I assume was always McCall's intention, then that's a different matter entirely. A 4-4-2 would be solid and worthwhile sacrificing a more fluid set up. It's as you say not much time left to persevere. That's a decision McCall has to make pronto. It's a difficult one due to both the time factor and the need to rotate. Let's just hope he gets it right.

Interesting footnote to Graham’s disallowed goal yesterday  in that McCall intimated in one interview that the ref apologised to him after the game for decision and all but agreed goal was good . Difficult one to call from the Airdire stream ,however, linesman kept his flag down and may have had a better view than ref ( who I thought had a good game and kept things flowing ) .

The problem is that neither of them look currently like big goal scorers .....rudden particularly was very wasteful yesterday ......Maciver should be given a chance 

11 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The problem is that neither of them look currently like big goal scorers .....rudden particularly was very wasteful yesterday ......Maciver should be given a chance 

To be fair on Rudden he had only 25 mins or so  on the park yesterday .I think he will be key with either Graham or MacIver in partnership as he has the ability to wind up and unnerve defences enough to create that opening .

It could be that Banzo considers himself ‘the gaffer’ as he clearly was in our promotion season.  He was easily the best player in the league.

It could be that, with Docherty taking on that role, he possibly subconsciously lost confidence. He certainly didn’t contribute what was required by his team mates.

The last few games, he has again showed that he is way above this level and has been bossing matches.

Lets hope this continues when Doc comes back.

• Like 1

To be fair on Rudden he had only 25 mins or so  on the park yesterday .I think he will be key with either Graham or MacIver in partnership as he has the ability to wind up and unnerve defences enough to create that opening .

Rudden had very easy chances yesterday and just didn’t look like a finisher, which is supported by his goals/game ratio.....if he stays fit we will find out for sure if he’s got it or not 

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

It could be that Banzo considers himself ‘the gaffer’ as he clearly was in our promotion season.  He was easily the best player in the league.

It could be that, with Docherty taking on that role, he possibly subconsciously lost confidence. He certainly didn’t contribute what was required by his team mates.

The last few games, he has again showed that he is way above this level and has been bossing matches.

As a previous critic of Bannigan- this season he, Senna and Brownlie have for me been our players of the season.  
bannigan to me has been back to the form of a few years ago and as I say that as someone who was critical of him the last couple of years ago.  It maybe that it’s just coincidence it’s been since Docherty signed but IMO clearly Docherty has not I believe had a negative impact on bannigans play

When things aren't going well (too often in recent times) there's not much support for Bannigan. Think that's only natural as we rightly expect a lot from him. When he does play well we maybe don't mention that too much as we've seen him play well in the past so often. When we had a much better squad if Stuart was not up to his A or B game he'd be benched. Recent seasons that's rarely been an option. Bannigan playing his C or D game was still preferable to who would replace him. Probably gotta face up to realising that Bannigan will not be the player he was prior to his injury, well not consistently at least

Think there's a parallel with Penrice, tho' I realise that's holding a more contentious view. James hasn't that often performed to his  potential. Needed dropping but often that's not been an option. And that's been more fact than opinion as we've often not had left sided cover. I don't believe Penrice has played to near his potential often enough but even at that he's often one of our better players. 

5 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

You're right to note that we really don't have time to see if the partnership will gel.  To me, Rudden always looks uncertain in possession, and while he has pace and a physical presence, he looks a long way from being the finished article. I don't see him having a lot of goals to offer us, so I'd be inclined to give McIver a couple of games alongside Graham to see if that will pay dividends - v Forfar on Tuesday and Dundee Utd next Saturday.

3 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

For our first goal, Banzo cuts the ball out well that was put back into our box. The ball goes to Cardle and he gives a very good ball for Tiffoney to run onto, which he controls well to score. 2 passes and we score. Highlights what a bit of pace can do.