Thistle v Forfar

Albert's Ghost

10 hours ago, northernsoul said:

You can apply that to the vast majority of our squad. That mentality has been allowed to fester year after year since we achieved top six in 2017.

And look at us now.

Agreed; there's a dozy, complacent stupidity rampant everywhere in our squad.

16 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

No. I'm desperate for no one to defend him so that our board (who do read this) get the message

I’m as Scunnerd as anyone about last night, Everything wrong with the result points to McCalls team selection and tactics. 

My point was McCall had a record for picking up players and selling them on, I like McCall but I feel he makes too many stupid decisions. Last night was a prime example, but I also don’t see who we could replace him with. 

Do you have a great suggestion? Maybe you think Dick Campbell deserves another crack at it? Maybe we should get you a seat on the board so you can pass on your superior knowledge on football management to the powers that be. 

See I can be childish also.

28 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

I’m as Scunnerd as anyone about last night, Everything wrong with the result points to McCalls team selection and tactics. 

My point was McCall had a record for picking up players and selling them on, I like McCall but I feel he makes too many stupid decisions. Last night was a prime example, but I also don’t see who we could replace him with. 

Do you have a great suggestion? Maybe you think Dick Campbell deserves another crack at it? Maybe we should get you a seat on the board so you can pass on your superior knowledge on football management to the powers that be. 

See I can be childish also.

All of the above and that desperate the Bunnet might do us a job as McCall is just not getting it right ...can’t see any changes afoot so long a we stay in or close to top 4 .

2 hours ago, McCall Out said:

No. I'm desperate for no one to defend him so that our board (who do read this) get the message

That’s interesting you say the board read the forum- because there has been plenty of flack on here aimed at them too for the last 3 and a half years from different posters 

I've generally been supportive of McCall and part of that was in general his post match comments tend to be fairly open and honest. I was expecting after last nights shambles for McCall to come out and say he made a mistake and shouldn't have rested so many.

Instead his excuse seems to 2 players were carrying a knock  so why make 5 changes? The only 2 that didn't appear last night were Wright and Foster so if Tiffoney, Graham and Brownlie were fit why not start them? If Foster and Wright were carrying knocks why were they on the bench? Does't make a lot of sense

The second part of his reasoning was to see MacIver and Rudden together. The chance to rest players and experiment is the cup game this weekend not a league game.

Also don't understand why he had to put Brownlie on. The back 4  minus Penrice wasn't great but our problems lay elsewhere with Rudden (non-exsistant), MacIver (wasteful) and Docherty (rusty). Wasting a sub on Brownlie for Sena cost us when Erskine pulled up.

I'm not against the manager trying out formations but when he gets it wrong he should have held his hand up. If he had I would have begrudgingly accepted that.

Last night was in football parliance and in my opinion  a "yellow card" for McCall. Do the same again and its a "Red".

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, laukat said:

I've generally been supportive of McCall and part of that was in general his post match comments tend to be fairly open and honest. I was expecting after last nights shambles for McCall to come out and say he made a mistake and shouldn't have rested so many.

Instead his excuse seems to 2 players were carrying a knock  so why make 5 changes? The only 2 that didn't appear last night were Wright and Foster so if Tiffoney, Graham and Brownlie were fit why not start them? If Foster and Wright were carrying knocks why were they on the bench? Does't make a lot of sense

The second part of his reasoning was to see MacIver and Rudden together. The chance to rest players and experiment is the cup game this weekend not a league game.

Also don't understand why he had to put Brownlie on. The back 4  minus Penrice wasn't great but our problems lay elsewhere with Rudden (non-exsistant), MacIver (wasteful) and Docherty (rusty). Wasting a sub on Brownlie for Sena cost us when Erskine pulled up.

I'm not against the manager trying out formations but when he gets it wrong he should have held his hand up. If he had I would have begrudgingly accepted that.

Last night was in football parliance and in my opinion  a "yellow card" for McCall. Do the same again and its a "Red".

Agree with everything you say here. Only thing I would add is that it's time for a red card, in my opinion. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Aye, defence was even worse when Brownlie came on. Sena was poor but the other two central defenders who played were even worse.

Edited by delurker
Edited for precision.

Just read McCall's comments. What a crock of shit. He's obviously losing it. 

A couple of (unnamed) players picking up knocks used as justification for changing half the team that for an hour had just played our best football of the season. Nothing about using up 5 subs by midway through the 2nd half (for the 2nd game in a row) which left us seeing out the game a man short. 

This is shambolic management. If McCall continues in this fashion I can only see us struggling and likely as not finishing out of the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

That’s interesting you say the board read the forum- because there has been plenty of flack on here aimed at them too for the last 3 and a half years from different posters 

Oh they do read it, trust me. I was informed they weren’t happy about something I’d posted previously. They have also basically quoted call outs on here previously in the “State of the Nation” propaganda on monthly or annual updates (remember them???) and tried to rubbish them

16 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Oh they do read it, trust me. I was informed they weren’t happy about something I’d posted previously. They have also basically quoted call outs on here previously in the “State of the Nation” propaganda on monthly or annual updates (remember them???) and tried to rubbish them

Thanks Stuart, that’s interesting to hear that

58 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I’d be more concerned if they didn’t read what their customers were saying

• Like 1

I'm sure the BOD read this, but being realistic this forum and various other social media gateways do not represent the entire thistle support. Yes it gives a flavour of how some of us feel, but no all. That said one you look beyond the clamour Mcall and his team are skating on ever thinner ice. If we don't get up its doubtful he will survive. I'm assuming he won't be sacked in the interim 

22 hours ago, northernsoul said:

I disagree.

We would not have fallen 20 places down through the Scottish Leagues if that was the case.

Your comment shows your age and my comment shows mine also  that I could have been clearer in my comment

I was thinking about the days of (my days) of a forward line the equal of any in Scotland, and that was:

Cowan/Whitelaw/Hainey/Duffy & McParland! 

Believe me in those days Firhill was a Fortress but our away record was a abysmal and that was because, with the exception of George Niven (goal) and John Harvey (at centre half), our defence was poor. 

I know lots will disagree but Hogan, McKinnon & Cunningham, all good players and club servants, but couldn't cope with physically strong opponents. If we could have kept Sandy Brown and avoided George Muir we might have been better. 

I am intrigued  that the BoD actually read comments on this website if so please read the following:

1. Try not to rubbish comments (no matter if inaccurate) from supporters who love and care deeply about the club

2. The players have had 11 weeks of rest and as FT Professionals should be able, physically and mentally, to cope with a short term surge of fixtures with minimum change to personnel in the starting 11.

3. The BoD, like me (a long time supporter of Ian McCall) and others, need to face the reality of the situation and that is things are not working under the stewardship of Mr McCall, therefore the following action seems appropriate

4. Create a post of Director of Football - Ian McCall; release Alan Archibald (he has taken the Jags to the highest and now (almost) the lowest and the great majority of fans have lost faith in him: re Scally, don't know him, his contribution or his effectiveness - that may say it all! 

5. Appoint a new and young manager who can use what's left of the season to prepare for next season in League 1 so that we can look forward to 22/23 in the Championship 

I think that's enough for now! 

I agree with most of the above points, but I don't (ever) get the "Director of Football" notion. The club is already criticized for being top heavy on the management side with mostly ex-Jags taking a salary that is not matched by on-field performances. Why create another yet another post, and what would a "Director of Football" actually do if it wasn't to influence the manager(s)' decisions?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I am intrigued  that the BoD actually read comments on this website if so please read the following:

1. Try not to rubbish comments (no matter if inaccurate) from supporters who love and care deeply about the club

2. The players have had 11 weeks of rest and as FT Professionals should be able, physically and mentally, to cope with a short term surge of fixtures with minimum change to personnel in the starting 11.

3. The BoD, like me (a long time supporter of Ian McCall) and others, need to face the reality of the situation and that is things are not working under the stewardship of Mr McCall, therefore the following action seems appropriate

4. Create a post of Director of Football - Ian McCall; release Alan Archibald (he has taken the Jags to the highest and now (almost) the lowest and the great majority of fans have lost faith in him: re Scally, don't know him, his contribution or his effectiveness - that may say it all! 

5. Appoint a new and young manager who can use what's left of the season to prepare for next season in League 1 so that we can look forward to 22/23 in the Championship 

Regarding point 4-unless we have someone lined up I think it will take until t te end of the season to get someone in place. We are still in the playoff spots at the moment - so all hope of getting out the league isn’t gone yet.

8 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I agree with most of the above points, but I don't (ever) get the "Director of Football" notion. The club is already criticized for being top heavy on the management side with mostly ex-Jags taking a salary that is not matched by on-field performances. Why create another yet another post, and what would a "Director of Football" actually do if it wasn't to influence the manager(s)' decisions?

Director of football for a club in the 3rd tier of Scottish football is yet another luxury and additional headcount that we do not need nor can we afford 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Point 4. You want to reward failure ?

There is absolutely no room for sentimentality in football, least of all in our predicament.

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Director of football for a club in the 3rd tier of Scottish football is yet another luxury and additional headcount that we do not need nor can we afford 

Totally agree that a DoF in the 3rd tier is not necessary.

However I've never understood why managers stick with the same coaching teams no matter what. Surely they measure their performance in the same way as the playing staff? If so then McCall may need to look at Scally or Archibald at the end of this season.

Scally and Archibald are both of a similar generation perhaps an older head may help curb McCall's occassional unsual ideas such as Tuesday night's team selection. McCall previously had the likes of Brian Rice, Gordon Chisolm, Gardner Spiers and Sandy Stewart. Perhaps someone in that mould may be required?

My thinking about the Director of Football was that it is:

1. a position applicable to a club, albeit currently in League 1, with aspirations to return to and stay in the Premier League;

2. To utilise McCall's contacts within the game and to oversee all football and recruitment activities, especially supporting a young manager whom I would prefer not to come from a Partick Thistle background 

3. Releasing Archibald (and Scally)  would to some extent  mean we would be better off than at the moment by not having two Assistant Managers 

4. If 3 above happened then I would anticipate McCall resigning on principle. 

5. My intention is that we end up with a Director of Football, a Manager or Head Coach (whatever title is preferred) and an Assistant Manager/Head Coach. 

I am pleased that most posters agree with most of my comments. I did not expect all the points in my original post to be accepted. However they were made with an eye to the future so that 

a) we would never again repeat the Archibald recruitment shambles that got us relegated from the PL, and

b) as a Club at least on the football side we would be well organised, efficient and properly run, for example, putting a decent team on the field, playing attractive football and able to win a reasonable number of games! 

Cheers to all. 

The issue with McCall being a director of football is that he is old fashioned in his approach and not open to modern recruitment methods.

If we are to go down that route we need to take a modern approach beginning with whoever takes up that position, we would be as well sticking with Gerry Britton who is effectively in that role at the moment and bring in a younger manager with a fresh outlook.

1 hour ago, jaggymct said:

The issue with McCall being a director of football is that he is old fashioned in his approach and not open to modern recruitment methods.

If we are to go down that route we need to take a modern approach beginning with whoever takes up that position, we would be as well sticking with Gerry Britton who is effectively in that role at the moment and bring in a younger manager with a fresh outlook.

Much as I see it. I don't think we could justify a Manager, an Assistant Manager, a Director of Football and a Chief Exec. Either the Chief Exec duties would have to be absorbed by the Board or the Director of Football would have to double as Chief Exec. The latter being in our case the more likely option. For clarity I'm not suggesting that should happen as such.

The benefit of a Director of Football/Head Coach set up is fairly obvious. A football manager has to be more than simply a motivational coach with tactical knowledge. He has to have a wider know how re budgets, contracts, scouting etc plus possess a wide range of contacts. I'm certain many a talented young coach has been lost to the game simply as he didn't possess a broad enough range of management skills. Of course it goes without saying the Director of Football has to possess all the skills the Head Coach lacks. Otherwise you end up with a Levein/Cathro situation. Today Cathro is a well respected senior coach at Wolves, so you can guess who was at fault in that partnership.