Thistle v Forfar

Albert's Ghost

The manager knows our priority is promotion this season yet he turns out a weakened team. Then ends up sending on 5 subs from a position of weakness rather than strength.  In the end no one could have argued if part time Forfar had taken all 3 points.  Instead he could have rested players this Saturday when no points are at stake. 

Now we’ve likely blown our final chance of catching Falkirk and will have damaged an already fragile confidence in the team, all too evident by our hopeless passing, touches, delivery and originality. 

As someone who welcomed McCall’s appointment he owns this result and whatever it means for us at the end of the season.  We definitely ain’t got 3 wise men in that dugout. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Absolute shambles, lucky point in the end. A lot to do with daffling management decisions, both before and during the game. 

The players also need to take a good look at themselves. For a full group of players to show such awful technique is not acceptable. Some of them looked like they'd have trouble controlling a medicine ball. 

Tonight's game shows exactly why we have no chance of catching Falkirk. We'll be lucky to secure a playoff spot. Particularly if McCall is going to play Championship Manager with every team selection. 

Excellent summary.

I'm not disagreeing with the criticism of the management team at all and it is entirely justified. However, what I've bolded above deserves just as much criticism.

Some of our squad are just really bad footballers with a really weak mentality.  Some have ability and a stinking attitude. When the pressure is on to produce the goods and deliver, they don't. The league table doesn't lie. 

in both of our last  2 games we lose a goal in the first couple of minutes

schoolboy performances

buck stops with management team

so frustrating watching this  

this is our team, mccall has really got to take a  hard look at our situation and his position 

we are playing football in Scotland's 3rd tier and we are struggling

sad times indeed

• Like 1

Not that I'm saying  Wright needed rested in the first place but Sneddon should've started against Cowdenbeath to give him a run out. 

Docherty's been out so long surely his first game back should've been from off the bench?

Unlike every other player at the club Tiffoney is the one player who is completely match fit. Something we should be capitalising on, and not starting him tonight made no sense at all.

Playing a rigid 4-4-2 makes things easier for opponents regards preparation. The upside to counter that would be if the two upfront were a tried and tested pairing. Certainly not the case.

How many games when there's just the three substitutes do we end up with only 10 players on the pitch? Not many. We shouldn't require to gamble a fifth substitution tonight. Four would've been enough. Tho' getting the starting two upfront wrong didn't exactly help.

Somehow we've managed to go from a lack of confidence to complacency in record time. No doubt back to the former after tonight.   

11 minutes ago, northernsoul said:

Excellent summary.

I'm not disagreeing with the criticism of the management team at all and it is entirely justified. However, what I've bolded above deserves just as much criticism.

Some of our squad are just really bad footballers with a really weak mentality.  Some have ability and a stinking attitude. When the pressure is on to produce the goods and deliver, they don't. The league table doesn't lie. 

McCall and Archibald’s team - buck lies with them.

4 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Ian McCall would be an absolutely fantastic scout IMO. He has an eye for talent.. tactical wise he has never convinced me. That’s why it took Jackie to get us promoted, more sense of the modern game.

100% correct. Said it years ago McNamara built a team for others to take full credit. As a scout he has a great eye, as a manager he hasn't got a clue. There is a fair squad that should be performing and playing at a much higher level.  Full credit to Forfar, these boys will all be going to work this morning with a spring in their step...................   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sabbath said:

100% correct. Said it years ago McNamara built a team for others to take full credit. As a scout he has a great eye, as a manager he hasn't got a clue. There is a fair squad that should be performing and playing at a much higher level.  Full credit to Forfar, these boys will all be going to work this morning with a spring in their step...................   

While our mob will probably have the day off for there meager efforts tonight..

This is terrible and McCall who got brought in to get us up the league in the championship, ended with us going down. So McCall failed. Most expected us to be up at the top of this league with Falkirk, so far we are struggling to stay in a play off position. If we are not playing in the championship next season that will mean McCall will have failed on his 2 main objectives. But some on the forum now want to make out that somehow Caldwell was a better manager than he was. Yes he had a better win ratio and in a higher league, but things were dire with him in charge as well.

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

This is terrible and McCall who got brought in to get us up the league in the championship, ended with us going down. So McCall failed. Most expected us to be up at the top of this league with Falkirk, so far we are struggling to stay in a play off position. If we are not playing in the championship next season that will mean McCall will have failed on his 2 main objectives. But some on the forum now want to make out that somehow Caldwell was a better manager than he was. Yes he had a better win ratio and in a higher league, but things were dire with him in charge as well.

We are in league 1. If we can't do better than we are at present this is where we are going to be for the foreseeable future....

23 minutes ago, sabbath said:

They will be down because they didn’t take the 3 points they deserved 

17 minutes ago, sabbath said:

McCall built the structure of our promotion team.. 

I reckon we would never have promotion with him in charge. I also feel like he probably hand picked the players that made ayr untied back into a championship outfit. 

But his assistant manager at ayr had a far better insight into tactics than Archie and obviously scally. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

We are in league 1. If we can't do better than we are at present this is where we are going to be for the foreseeable future....

I know. My point is Just because McCall has done a terrible job it doesn't suddenly make the time under Caldwell any good, it was terrible as well. Imo it all started because we held onto Archibald for to long and then hired the wrong manager to replace him.

• Like 2

McCall's reaction is now on the Thistle website. Brass neck and a half - complete lack of self-awareness. Just man-up and admit, "I got it wrong." I don't buy this squad rotation crap! We could have rested players for the Scottish Cup game at the weekend. When I think of sports like ice-hockey where teams can literally play five days per week during the season, I refuse to buy this rubbish from football managers.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

McCall's reaction is now on the Thistle website. Brass neck and a half - complete lack of self-awareness. Just man-up and admit, "I got it wrong." I don't buy this squad rotation crap! We could have rested players for the Scottish Cup game at the weekend. When I think of sports like ice-hockey where teams can literally play five days per week during the season, I refuse to buy this rubbish from football managers.

Seen  his reaction.. don’t understand why he starts docherty.. could have started with Brownlie and put Niang in midfield and gave Doch a run out later. 

His plan seems unethical at best.

9 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

Ian McCall would be an absolutely fantastic scout IMO. He has an eye for talent..

Aye. You can tell from this squad what a brilliant eye for talent he has. Rudden and McIver are absolute gems and I've no idea where we would be were it not for Lyons

Anyone want to defend McCall after last nights omnishambles ? Perhaps some thinks he needs more than 45 games to prove he is a dud. The time to act is now. Lets not make the same mistake we made when keeping Archibald for too long. We have 7 wins in our last 28 games (from start of 2020 when he had his own team) How bad does it need to get ?

13 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

See there Rudden is almost right beside the ball when it goes out of play, given we are playing against a team that will constantly time waste, you would think he would pick it up right away-but doesn’t runs away and the goalkeeper will take his time going over - I’m sorry but that’s ridiculous

I see nonsense like that from our players all the time, stupid complacency, unacceptable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

Aye. You can tell from this squad what a brilliant eye for talent he has. Rudden and McIver are absolute gems and I've no idea where we would be were it not for Lyons

Anyone want to defend McCall after last nights omnishambles ? Perhaps some thinks he needs more than 45 games to prove he is a dud. The time to act is now. Lets not make the same mistake we made when keeping Archibald for too long. We have 7 wins in our last 28 games (from start of 2020 when he had his own team) How bad does it need to get ?

Aye he’s actually signed quite a few gems over the years, your desperate for someone to defend him so you can have a little bitch. Haha Child.