New manager/coach

Big Wull

On 4/9/2021 at 11:10 AM, Big Wull said:

And mind the ref years ago 'tiny warton' i think his name was

"Tiny Wharton" - a giant of a referee in every respect! ! 

I remember a game at Firhill with Wharton as the Referee.  A Thistle player in possession passed the ball under pressure from an opponent who had a "fly" kick at the Thistle player after the ball had been passed. Although play had moved on Wharton had let his eye linger for a moment on the two players and saw the little kick. He dropped back and without stopping the game said something to the opponent. End of incident and the opponent played a very clean game thereafter. 

It emerged later that Wharton had said to the opponent "Mr (surname) I saw that. Do anything like that again and you will be off. Do you understsand? 

The player replied Yes Mr Wharton! 

Those were the days! 

37 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

"Tiny Wharton" - a giant of a referee in every respect! ! 

I remember a game at Firhill with Wharton as the Referee.  A Thistle player in possession passed the ball under pressure from an opponent who had a "fly" kick at the Thistle player after the ball had been passed. Although play had moved on Wharton had let his eye linger for a moment on the two players and saw the little kick. He dropped back and without stopping the game said something to the opponent. End of incident and the opponent played a very clean game thereafter. 

It emerged later that Wharton had said to the opponent "Mr (surname) I saw that. Do anything like that again and you will be off. Do you understsand? 

The player replied Yes Mr Wharton! 

Those were the days! 

Now the player would probably reply with something like "F*** off,  ya fat "f***in' dobber," and his manager would defend him by saying the referee singled him out unfairly for unduly harsh treatment, while ignoring much worse from  players in the other team.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Tonights team talk. "Get a couple of early goals, our confidence is high so keep pressing up the park. Word will get to cove and falkirk and their bottles will crash.  We will be top of the league tonight, I 100% trust you all...now go out and do it" then send them out to go top of the league.

33 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I have noticed that performance has improved dramatically since you started to do the team talks. Coincidence ? I think not 

Thanks Dick Dastardly. I just try and keep them somple and obvious really. Wish I could do the team talks...maybe remove the 2 assistant managers for me?

We have a Manager, Assistant Manager, Goalkeeping coach and a stats / training coach.

It's hardly overkill is it.

My friend manages a youth team in Germany and has more staff than that.

Then again, the Germans treat every playing level as they would the top.

Maybe that's why they're so good.

3 hours ago, CotterJag said:

We have a Manager, Assistant Manager, Goalkeeping coach and a stats / training coach.

It's hardly overkill is it.

My friend manages a youth team in Germany and has more staff than that.

Then again, the Germans treat every playing level as they would the top.

Maybe that's why they're so good.

Too many cooks and all that

Tomorrow's team talk. "We are top of the league and in a good run of form, DONT END that now! They will expect us to start slowly, as we have been, but from the 1st whistle get right in their faces, hassle and tackle them. Get our passing crisp and acurate, get early goal and deflate their confidence. Cove n falkirk will draw and we can open up a 4point lead, I have every confidence in you lot. Now go get us 3pts" with that Id send them out for a victory.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Big Wull said:

Tomorrow's team talk. "We are top of the league and in a good run of form, DONT END that now! They will expect us to start slowly, as we have been, but from the 1st whistle get right in their faces, hassle and tackle them. Get our passing crisp and acurate, get early goal and deflate their confidence. Cove n falkirk will draw and we can open up a 4point lead, I have every confidence in you lot. Now go get us 3pts" with that Id send them out for a victory.

As the no2 in the dugout I fully endorse this.

https://youtu.be/OGk_skwxYHM

Edited by elevenone
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2021 at 3:08 PM, Big Wull said:

Big Wull calls it again. Come the Jags!!!

• Thanks 1