Scottish Cup away to Dundee Utd

scotty

Plenty of times I've seen thistle succumb to this sort of defeat. I'm not sure what people actually expected from this game ? but a narrow defeat is hardly a disaster in our lowly position. The key thing is trying to get out this league and I expect a far higher level of performance in our remaining games. 

2 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Plenty of times I've seen thistle succumb to this sort of defeat. I'm not sure what people actually expected from this game ? but a narrow defeat is hardly a disaster in our lowly position. The key thing is trying to get out this league and I expect a far higher level of performance in our remaining games. 

I think it's the disappointment of losing so late and for the goal to be the shambles it was. For long periods of the game we were pretty decent and I agree... If we can take that kind of play into Tuesday, we'll do OK. 

27 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

You’re right the key thing is to get out of this league. Have the team demonstrated they might be capable of this? Quite frankly putting in a ‘nearly’ performance against a team you are not expected to beat is easy. Grinding out results against teams you should beat is much harder and requires the right mentality. Nothing I have seen this season suggests we are equipped for this. 

• Like 2

I remember losing 1 0 at Dens in 1970 when we were in the 2nd division. Cup game when decisions went to the home side. What happened next season will always be with me. Had an exciting team then. Now? Play offs our best bet. Arbroath Morton or Ayr if we get that far. Capable of doing it but Brian Graham ffs. Sena ffs. Jags all over am afraid. 

20 minutes ago, Keiththejag said:

I remember losing 1 0 at Dens in 1970 when we were in the 2nd division. Cup game when decisions went to the home side. What happened next season will always be with me. Had an exciting team then. Now? Play offs our best bet. Arbroath Morton or Ayr if we get that far. Capable of doing it but Brian Graham ffs. Sena ffs. Jags all over am afraid. 

Think Sena is getting a raw deal , young player starting out on his career, he’ll get better and PTFC will get a good price for him.

I was a big critic of Liam Lindsay at one point because of the mistakes he was making but he learnt from them , hopefully Sena will be the same .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

The first team bar a couple of exceptions seems to be almost entirely relying on Scott Tiffoney- if only everyone else had even half the passion, energy and ability of this guy.  If we get to the playoffs it will be a huge bit down to him almost dragging some of his woeful team mates along there

Yes. He could be as important as Scott mcdonald was. But of course he has less time to make the same impact. 

incredible that we are relying on a signing who seems to have  been an afterthought!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Correct. It's the Scottish Cup: we usually lose, and so we did. Ninety-nine percent of people probably expected that result. That's the kind of club we are.

Full agreement about promotion being the immediate priority.

But although I hope for much better performances in the remaining games, I don't expect that to happen.

2 hours ago, jaf said:

Yes. He could be as important as Scott mcdonald was. But of course he has less time to make the same impact. 

incredible that we are relying on a signing who seems to have  been an afterthought!!

We were apparently signing Tiffoney in January but then the league was suspended. As you say looks to be having the impact McDonald had

• Like 1

Just watched the game on Jagzone. Utterly shattered. **** me we know how to snatch defeat from the Jaws of victory. 

Shambolic defending to give those ******** a completely undeserved win. Up to that point Sena had been excellent. Someone needs to take him aside and tell him sometimes you just need to get it to ****. 

It was a decent performance. Bannigan was terrific. It did give me some hope that we may have a chance if we make the playoffs. 

Just watched the highlights. A few comments

- A clear penalty for us. The keeper fouls Gordon. Why does Michael Max say no penalty?

- Graham stretching for his 'sitter' so not sure he should have done better

- Gordon should have hit the target with his chance

- Sena needs to learn when to boot it away

- clear push by Clark no matter what happened with the positioning of Sena & Wright

- Will Steven McLean ever give any crucial decisions our way? He seems to have a history of giving them against us

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jaggy said:

- A clear penalty for us. The keeper fouls Gordon. Why does Michael Max say no penalty?

- clear push by Clark no matter what happened with the positioning of Sena & Wright

- Will Steven McLean ever give any crucial decisions our way? He seems to have a history of giving them against us

At the one and only look we get of the incident neither of us thought it was a foul.  At the home games we are afforded the luxury of a replay but at the away games we have to call it as we see it live.  My gut reaction at the time was no penalty and I’ve not had the chance to look at it on the highlights to see if I still think that!

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 8:15 PM, jlsarmy said:

Think Sena is getting a raw deal , young player starting out on his career, he’ll get better and PTFC will get a good price for him.

I was a big critic of Liam Lindsay at one point because of the mistakes he was making but he learnt from them , hopefully Sena will be the same .

Spot on ,was thinking the same thing re Lindsay (who at times accelerated my greying process) who matured ,learned and ultimately became the excellent player he now is ...Sena will be the same , no doubt about that .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, elevenone said:

In fairness there may be some quaint archaic ruling allowing the use of a fist in Jags v Dundee Utd Cup fixtures http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8448851.stm

On 4/4/2021 at 11:09 PM, jaggy said:

Agree with all of this. 

Regarding McLean. I don't think there is any doubt  this referee will not be impartial when it comes to the Jags. When I saw he was the appointed referee I just knew things would not go well for us! 

He does have 'history' to the point that the mild mannered - never criticise a referee - Alan Archibald felt the need to comment about his performance. 

But then McLean is not the only referee who consistently adjudicates in favour of our opponents! Is he? 

I only hope the match report we file with the authorities is quite clear on McLean's performance though I don't expect it to make any difference.

Perhaps we should within the club have someone designated to keep detailed statistics on every referee so that performance trends can be quoted in our report to the authorities. Does anyone know if we already do this?