E Fife Away

westertonjagfan

45 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

Yeah, I thought that was pretty unfair towards Tiffoney-he'll obviously read that-not exactly good man management.

I took it the other way in that even when not playing that well, he was still causing some problems or I am I reading something that isn’t there?

5 hours ago, milhouse said:

Correct, lest we forget. We were, by and large, dreadful that season under Dick Campbell (and let's not forget, he got us relegated to Division 2 the previous season, with probably still the worst Thistle team I have ever seen). Off the top of my head - at Firhill, 0-3 v Stirling Albion & Gretna, 0-6 v Gretna at Firhill...I'm thinking players like Darren Brady, Mark McChrystal, Willie Kinniburgh, Jimmy Gibson...

Boab McCulloch battered in a few free kicks, but Mark Roberts almost single-handedly dragged us to promotion that season...and apart from that, it was rubbish. But we slithered out of there in the end...

Was there not a footballer we had playing that season who went onto to appear in River City as well?

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Allan Russell. Think he has just become a coach at Aberdeen. Don’t remember him playing for us

Maybe got the wrong fella but I think he was some kinda male model at the time of signing. Certainly played like he didn't want his looks to be impaired. Next time I heard of him he was the England striker coach!

17 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Prior to the jn called for  suspension of the lower leagues our defence was rock solid. It was our ineffective midfield and non-existing attack that attracted criticism. Now we are scoring a few goals our defence is weak! So I ask what's changed? 

it's just my opinion EJ - you don't win anything with a defence you could spit peas through -  personally coming round to the realisation we're probably going nowhere this season - better to circle the wagons, consolidate where we are in the league and go full hammer and tongs next season - if no joy next season it should spark a total clear-out from top to bottom and potentially a move to part-time status

15 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Maybe got the wrong fella but I think he was some kinda male model at the time of signing. Certainly played like he didn't want his looks to be impaired. Next time I heard of him he was the England striker coach!

Are you not thinking about Charlie Adams M'lady?  Was he not a male model?  Not sure if England were that desperate however!

20 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

I welcomed McCall’s appointment but it’s clear I was wrong. How can you give them the benefit of the doubt... how much more evidence is needed? A full time squad that cannot beat part time teams sone of whom have played more games than us, including the opposition tonight who played extra time on Saturday... we huffed and puffed in that second half and we’re lucky to get a point. 
I hope your patience is rewarded but I’ve lost faith

20 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Our squad on paper is easily best or 2nd best in the league, it’s also that in pay packet.

Total disgrace where this clubs ended up over last 3 years

20 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Gentle reminder: we're not actually even qualifying for the play-offs as things stand. We're barely qualifying for the top half post split.

20 hours ago, Big Col said:

Look at the squad the current management team have built - it’s shocking. Full of duds and players well past their prime. And you’d trust them to build a squad in a higher league? Last time they did that we got relegated. Time to face facts - the 3 of them should be sacked. Tonight. Pay them off in instalments - we did that before with a manager who didn’t have a clue and was sacked. Who was that again....??

20 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

There’s a sense of entitlement running through the club, from the boardroom to the management team to the players. Bigger than we are. Living in the past (including the 1921 cup win never mind the “recent” one 50 years ago). No acknowledgement we’ve been overtaken by teams like Ross C, ICT, Livingston etc. Like any business that focuses on the past it’s doomed.

I don't disagree with much of the sentiment on here towards the current team and managers'.

I do though sometimes think that the sense of entitlement comes from us, the fans, rather than the players. None of us believe we should be in this league and it's hard to take that we're so poor.

It's the job of the management to get us out of this league with a team that doesn't break the bank. It would be crazy to think we could have a top league team in this division.

In my view, I'd say that maybe only 2 or 3 players befit the league above and we're maybe a couple of decent players shy, even for this league.

The only crumb of comfort, is that everyone else is just as mince. I imagine Falkirk fans will be gutted that they've not won the league already and Airdrie fans will be thinking, if they're capable of doing so, that they shouldn't have lost so heavily to us.

We're, unbelievably, still in with a shout of going up and are at least no worse than the teams around us.

I'm in no way proud of that but that's where we're at just now.

I don't think that as a Thistle fan I'll ever have a sense of entitlement, but this season of all seasons I did have a sense of expectation.

This expectation came from:

Trusting that  each and every player would busting a gut in every game to get us back into the championship following the way we were treated last season.

The fact that we have an experienced management threesome should be paying dividends on the park.

We are a full time team in a predominately part time league which should give us an advantage.

The size of our squad of players allowing us to rotate and keep the team fresh with everbody , in theory,  fighting for a place in a winning team.

The anger and frustration the fans feel comes from the fact that none of the above has had any bearing on our performances this season.

What we anticipated would be a title challenging season has once again in true Thistle style has become an embarrassment.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CotterJag said:

I don't disagree with much of the sentiment on here towards the current team and managers'.

I do though sometimes think that the sense of entitlement comes from us, the fans, rather than the players. None of us believe we should be in this league and it's hard to take that we're so poor.

It's the job of the management to get us out of this league with a team that doesn't break the bank. It would be crazy to think we could have a top league team in this division.

In my view, I'd say that maybe only 2 or 3 players befit the league above and we're maybe a couple of decent players shy, even for this league.

The only crumb of comfort, is that everyone else is just as mince. I imagine Falkirk fans will be gutted that they've not won the league already and Airdrie fans will be thinking, if they're capable of doing so, that they shouldn't have lost so heavily to us.

We're, unbelievably, still in with a shout of going up and are at least no worse than the teams around us.

I'm in no way proud of that but that's where we're at just now.

As fans of a full time team with the biggest backroom staff in the league and 1 of the top 2 in terms of wages and squad depth, we have a sense of expectation that the team can compete soundly in a league made up of part timers on shoe string budgets, that our full time squad with coaches, assistants etc can be fitter than the teams who can only train 1 or 2 nights a week (East Fife haven’t trained in nearly 2 weeks based on their schedule),  if that’s entitlement then yes but I think that’s the bare minimum our team with it’s depth and resources (financial and facilities etc) should be doing but yet again are failing catastrophically at

15 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

As fans of a full time team with the biggest backroom staff in the league and 1 of the top 2 in terms of wages and squad depth, we have a sense of expectation that the team can compete soundly in a league made up of part timers on shoe string budgets, that our full time squad with coaches, assistants etc can be fitter than the teams who can only train 1 or 2 nights a week (East Fife haven’t trained in nearly 2 weeks based on their schedule),  if that’s entitlement then yes but I think that’s the bare minimum our team with it’s depth and resources (financial and facilities etc) should be doing but yet again are failing catastrophically at

If failing turns to failed, I'll have no option but to agree.

In the meantime, I think we'll make the play-offs and could still go up.

My view is not based upon optimism but on having watched the teams around us on our live streams.

As bad as we can be, they mostly look worse. Maybe that's because we're full time and have 3 managers.

8 hours ago, westertonjagfan said:

Yeah, I thought that was pretty unfair towards Tiffoney-he'll obviously read that-not exactly good man management.

I think he was trying to pay Tiffoney a sort of backhanded compliment, but it came out a bit wrong.

The message I believe he was endeavouring to convey is that Tiffoney is such a good player, that even when he is not at his best, he still has a positive impact on the game.

PS Should have read the whole thread before posting. Lenziejag beat me to it!

Edited by partickthedog
PS
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I guess the goal wasn’t a screamer from 30 yards or I’d have remembered him

Without checking any records and relying on occasionally faulty memory, the one goal was a very smart finish that gave us a 0-1 victory away at Livingston. Not a goal of the season contender, but an efficient demonstration of the striker's art. 

I have seen Kane and Rashford scoring similar goals, so perhaps he has some ability in imparting his knowledge and experience!

11 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

If failing turns to failed, I'll have no option but to agree.

In the meantime, I think we'll make the play-offs and could still go up.

My view is not based upon optimism but on having watched the teams around us on our live streams.

As bad as we can be, they mostly look worse. Maybe that's because we're full time and have 3 managers.

We have failed.
Archies remit was to win promotion-failed and fired.

Caldwells remit was to win promotion- Avoided relegation by 1 game. Failed and carried on

Caldwells remit was again to win promotion- Failed eventually fired

McCalls remit was to win promotion- We got relegated he was kept on

McCalls remit was to win promotion- We are failing and are odds on to fail.

Board announced a training ground named it after McParland and told him and his family on his death bed and announced to the world - Never materialized so failed.

3BC stated ground would be handed over to fans immediately in December 2019 - 15 months later we don’t have it they failed.

3BC stated fans would own the club ASAP - 15 months later still haven’t handed it over - Failed

Announcing our legendary striker on his testimonial season is being released on social media before he’s had a chance to tell his family- Failure

Its a catalogue of failures since we came down from premiership, coming down wasn’t a failure as such as our size and finances it was due to happen soon, but since then and with Gerry and others at the helm it’s been a shambles. Press releases having to be retracted due to threats of legal action from balloon heids ex club for false information, toys out the pram “poor us” press statements when it didn’t go our way, jobs for the boys with Rough, Britton etc.

We have blamed everything from COVID to other clubs for our failure last without looking internally at the common theme. Bad leadership with no clear direction 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

We have failed.

Caldwells remit was to win promotion- Avoided relegation by 1 game. Failed and carried on

Board announced a training ground named it after McParland and told him and his family on his death bed and announced to the world - Never materialized so failed.

3BC stated ground would be handed over to fans immediately in December 2019 - 15 months later we don’t have it they failed.

3BC stated fans would own the club ASAP - 15 months later still haven’t handed it over - Failed

Announcing our legendary striker on his testimonial season is being released on social media before he’s had a chance to tell his family- Failure

Its a catalogue of failures since we came down from premiership, coming down wasn’t a failure as such as our size and finances it was due to happen soon, but since then and with Gerry and others at the helm it’s been a shambles. Press releases having to be retracted due to threats of legal action from balloon heids ex club for false information, toys out the pram “poor us” press statements when it didn’t go our way, jobs for the boys with Rough, Britton etc.

We have blamed everything from COVID to other clubs for our failure last without looking internally at the common theme. Bad leadership with no clear direction 

Post of the season. 

I want this blown up onto billboard size paper and plastered across the road from the Executive Offices. You're absolutely right. This club is a busted flush that is managed worse than some bowling clubs. 

I only wish our fans would realise this en masse and start demanding answers for the string of false promises and nepotism that runs through this club. 

I hope someone on the board actually sees your post and reflects on it.

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

We have failed.

Can't comment on some of your points re 3BC etc. as unsure what happened with this.

There's nothing certain in football, especially in the short term and most teams 'fail' in every year of their existence.

You can class not getting promoted as failure but we've never been odds on to go up.

If we'd scored a couple of penalties this season, we'd be top. Would you be classing that as success, or saying we're odds on to succeed?

I genuinely get where people are coming from but I don't mind the manager, Gerry or Roughie being there.

I think we'll secure a play-off place and then anything can happen, as we know all too well.

If we go up, it will be a huge relief and some lessons learned for next year.

If we don't, I'll be as gutted as everyone else. 

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Can't argue with that.  Pretty much sums the last year or two up. 

4 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

TJF have sent out an email survey today. I respect their wish to collect information from fans - but c'mon. We should be way past the "data collection" phase now and looking towards implementation. 

I said that when I responded. Hopefully others will too and they'll listen.